FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 22, 2010 - 08:32 PM

Well today was the mass exodus to the sandblast shop to visit my friend. Armed with a Jeep load of parts I started out to get dirty. 7 hours of sandblasting.... a 55 gallon sandblaster that had to be re-loaded every 15 minutes (it put's out a LOT of sand). To be conservative, lets just say I only loaded about 35 gallons of sand at a time (it was not fully empty, or full) I shoveled up about a ton and a half of sand today! That is ON TOP of running that beast with the inch and a half diameter hose!

I just got home, unloaded all my nice clean & blasted parts in the shop and took a well deserved shower! I will grab some photos tomorrow... but did I make some serious head way today! I also blasted a bunch of tin for my 12G that had not been done yet.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted November 22, 2010 - 08:45 PM

I know it was work, but I'd love to use such a beastly blaster. Look forward to the pics!

#3 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 22, 2010 - 08:56 PM

I would love to use it with something like Black Beauty and not the rather fine sand it has, but beggars can'e be choosers as my Mama always said! He has a dedicated booth with exhaust fan, and a fresh air blasting hood (I also had a painting style respirator on under the hood.) Even with the coveralls though, the dirt just gets everywhere! Even washing my head in the sink, my entire scalp was black! Now it will be time to prime a ton of stuff, paint a batch of the gray parts for my 12G. My weight box will be done in this batch) and once it's all dry I can put the plow on!

I was able to get a cowl panel plastic welded, but he did not have time to do any surface prep... It looks kinda ugly right now, but it's solid. I used the one of my 12G when I bought it. This cowl had the typical cracked mounting area, but also a large chunk broken off the top lip and a hole drilled in the side. I used a damaged beyond repair cowl to make a patch for the lip and one side of the bolt holes. I think that I will be welding some extra metal to the dash tower so that the corners that are cut to a 45 degree will be rounded to match the dash. This will give the cowl more to sit on and could help stop breakage in the future.

Edited by FirefyterEmt, November 22, 2010 - 09:01 PM.

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted November 22, 2010 - 09:40 PM

Sounds like a very productive day

#5 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• Member No: 757
  • 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted November 22, 2010 - 09:49 PM

I love blasting it gives you a time of reflection hahaha
and I cant honestly think of a time when blasting that someone came up and tapped on my shoulder and asked for anything

and sounds like you made alot of headway

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 22, 2010 - 11:35 PM

Sounds like you're well on your way to painting. 7 hours is a lot of time on your feet too, no matter what you're doing. Hope the priming and painting go as well for you!

...and I cant honestly think of a time when blasting that someone came up and tapped on my shoulder and asked for anything...

That is VERY true LOL!

#7 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,861 posts

Posted November 22, 2010 - 11:50 PM

If you have no warped sheet metal you had an excellent day.
Black Beauty is a bit more aggressive can put hole where you may not want one.

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 23, 2010 - 05:34 AM

Sounds like a very productive day

:ditto:

#9 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 23, 2010 - 08:09 AM

Yea, the BB might of been too much with his set up! None of the stuff I did was thin enough to worry about warping, I did not do the hood because of this.

My parts were: Hydro seat pan, lid & two metal seat frames. The dash tower on the hydro, 6 running boards, 6 end shields to the fender pan and the cover for the hydro at the seat pan. 4 front rims (2 John Deere) A front axle, the blower cover and engine tin off the OH140. I also blasted a lift handle, two brake pedals and a PTO pedal assy. I will not list all the little tiny parts and brackets, but they were about 2" deep in a Rubbermaid tote!

Here are a couple photos of my progress. I am going to start a new thread about the cowl repair.

Posted Image

These tiny brackets take a lot to do, all the edges and curves and the like take up time and sand. The set-up I was using did not have a shut off, just a main "ON" valve, so once it was going... you just kept blasting! I directed it at the seat pans while I was moving parts... they were half done before I started!
Posted Image

btw... that is not rust inside, it's some grease I missed when cleaning. This seat pan had almost no rust at all inside, it had 2" of oil and grease, but no rust! LOL
Posted Image

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 23, 2010 - 10:33 AM

WOW that's a lot of stuff you got done! Way to take advantage of an opportunity!

... that is not rust inside, it's some grease I missed when cleaning. This seat pan had almost no rust at all inside, it had 2" of oil and grease, but no rust! LOL

That's a mixed blessing there eh? Oil and grease sure play heck with a paint job, but they make a great rust inhibitor! Again, great work!

#11 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted November 23, 2010 - 10:42 AM

You did a great job. Thanks for the nice pics.

#12 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted November 23, 2010 - 10:50 AM

Wow, some serious work there. Kind of discourages me when I think about what I have to look forward to... :(

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted November 23, 2010 - 10:52 AM

Wow, some serious work there. Kind of discourages me when I think about what I have to look forward to... :(

You can always try electrolysis! But either way, when the project is finished, there's no lingering doubts to whether you did the right thing! :thumbs:

#14 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 23, 2010 - 12:37 PM

Well, I just got back from a belly buster breakfast at Carl's diner in Oxford, Ma and then my darling wife gave me a back rub. My back is not all that good after a pretty bad car accident and does not like it when I push it that much all day long. (But, dang I love that woman!) But I think it's time to start to clean, hang, & prime. (and repeat)

The e-tank method is a great way to do it too, but has a lot of messy cleaning and does not always take the heavy rust off. It will turn it into non-rust, but some times you need to really hit it with a wire wheel. Some parts I will hit in an e-tank, wire brush & pressure wash, and then sandblast to clean it up. Heavy rusted parts sandblast really god when e-tanked first.

#15 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 23, 2010 - 09:59 PM

That's a lot of stuff to get blasted all in one shot, I'd say you had a worthwhile day. Good stuff.