Ouch... I hurt all over.
Posted November 22, 2010 - 08:32 PM
I just got home, unloaded all my nice clean & blasted parts in the shop and took a well deserved shower! I will grab some photos tomorrow... but did I make some serious head way today! I also blasted a bunch of tin for my 12G that had not been done yet.
Posted November 22, 2010 - 08:45 PM
Posted November 22, 2010 - 08:56 PM
I was able to get a cowl panel plastic welded, but he did not have time to do any surface prep... It looks kinda ugly right now, but it's solid. I used the one of my 12G when I bought it. This cowl had the typical cracked mounting area, but also a large chunk broken off the top lip and a hole drilled in the side. I used a damaged beyond repair cowl to make a patch for the lip and one side of the bolt holes. I think that I will be welding some extra metal to the dash tower so that the corners that are cut to a 45 degree will be rounded to match the dash. This will give the cowl more to sit on and could help stop breakage in the future.
Edited by FirefyterEmt, November 22, 2010 - 09:01 PM.
Posted November 22, 2010 - 09:40 PM
Posted November 22, 2010 - 09:49 PM
and I cant honestly think of a time when blasting that someone came up and tapped on my shoulder and asked for anything
and sounds like you made alot of headway
Posted November 22, 2010 - 11:35 PM
...and I cant honestly think of a time when blasting that someone came up and tapped on my shoulder and asked for anything...
That is VERY true LOL!
Posted November 22, 2010 - 11:50 PM
Black Beauty is a bit more aggressive can put hole where you may not want one.
Posted November 23, 2010 - 05:34 AM
Sounds like a very productive day
Posted November 23, 2010 - 08:09 AM
My parts were: Hydro seat pan, lid & two metal seat frames. The dash tower on the hydro, 6 running boards, 6 end shields to the fender pan and the cover for the hydro at the seat pan. 4 front rims (2 John Deere) A front axle, the blower cover and engine tin off the OH140. I also blasted a lift handle, two brake pedals and a PTO pedal assy. I will not list all the little tiny parts and brackets, but they were about 2" deep in a Rubbermaid tote!
Here are a couple photos of my progress. I am going to start a new thread about the cowl repair.
These tiny brackets take a lot to do, all the edges and curves and the like take up time and sand. The set-up I was using did not have a shut off, just a main "ON" valve, so once it was going... you just kept blasting! I directed it at the seat pans while I was moving parts... they were half done before I started!
btw... that is not rust inside, it's some grease I missed when cleaning. This seat pan had almost no rust at all inside, it had 2" of oil and grease, but no rust! LOL
Posted November 23, 2010 - 10:33 AM
That's a mixed blessing there eh? Oil and grease sure play heck with a paint job, but they make a great rust inhibitor! Again, great work!
... that is not rust inside, it's some grease I missed when cleaning. This seat pan had almost no rust at all inside, it had 2" of oil and grease, but no rust! LOL
Posted November 23, 2010 - 10:42 AM
Posted November 23, 2010 - 10:50 AM
Posted November 23, 2010 - 10:52 AM
Wow, some serious work there. Kind of discourages me when I think about what I have to look forward to...
You can always try electrolysis! But either way, when the project is finished, there's no lingering doubts to whether you did the right thing!
Posted November 23, 2010 - 12:37 PM
The e-tank method is a great way to do it too, but has a lot of messy cleaning and does not always take the heavy rust off. It will turn it into non-rust, but some times you need to really hit it with a wire wheel. Some parts I will hit in an e-tank, wire brush & pressure wash, and then sandblast to clean it up. Heavy rusted parts sandblast really god when e-tanked first.
Posted November 23, 2010 - 09:59 PM