jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 06:15 PM

Got my block back from the machine shop and want to put my Kohler back together.  The rings that came with my aftermarket kit are different than the ones on the example sheet provided.  All of the top rings show a chamfer but mine is square.  Top and middle rings are different thicknesses so I know which goes where.  For those of you who has installed kits, are these normally square?  I have an email in to the supplier but I want to get going on the assembly.

• JRJ said thank you

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,796 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 06:35 PM

Try the manuals section. Good Luck, Rick

#3 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 568 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 07:26 PM

Got my block back from the machine shop and want to put my Kohler back together.  The rings that came with my aftermarket kit are different than the ones on the example sheet provided.  All of the top rings show a chamfer but mine is square.  Top and middle rings are different thicknesses so I know which goes where.  For those of you who has installed kits, are these normally square?  I have an email in to the supplier but I want to get going on the assembly.

The top compression ring can be ether square or beveled.if punch marked or etched goes up . Otherwise doesn't matter orientation. 

• chris m said thank you

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 07:33 PM

Square rings are common replacements for beveled.  Most aftermarket parts companies do that.  Cut costs where you can is the motto, I guess.  Sometimes I think square rings give better compression, too, but I can't prove that for certain.

Ben W.

• chris m said thank you

#5 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 08, 2013 - 07:49 PM

Beveled, etched, or"pip" mark goes up. If square, it makes no diff.

• chris m said thank you

#6 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 09:05 PM

so now you know how to install the rings

after you have the rings on the piston now to align the ring gap

set the top ring then the middle ring should be set at 120 degrees then the oil rings at 120 degrees to the middle ring

but I set my rings different

set the top ring then the middle ring goes at 180 then if it is one piece oil ring I set it 180 degrees to the middle ring

if the oil ring is a 3 piece then I set the top oil ring 90 degrees to the middle ring and the bottom oil ring is set 180 degrees to the top oil ring

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 09:29 PM

but I set my rings different

set the top ring then the middle ring goes at 180 then if it is one piece oil ring I set it 180 degrees to the middle ring

if the oil ring is a 3 piece then I set the top oil ring 90 degrees to the middle ring and the bottom oil ring is set 180 degrees to the top oil ring

I set my rings as you do lyall.  Always have & always will.  Just makes sense having the longest path possible between gaps.  Main thing is not to have any gap inline with the crank, or 90 degrees from that.

• lyall said thank you

#8 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 10:07 PM

I've always done the same.  I spoke to a Briggs educator that said it didn't really matter because they rotate while running.  It's still piece of mind for me to stagger them.

• lyall said thank you