• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 01:38 PM

HERE'S SOME PIC'S OF THE PLOW THAT CAME WITH MY 165..... LOOK'S KIND OF BIG FOR THE TRACTOR                                                                                                                                                                          165 ant blade 001.JPG                                                                                            165 ant blade 002.JPG                                                                             HOPE THIS SHOWS MY CONCERN WITH GETTING TRACTION......could this be for a 195? or are all the 165 plows this size?                                                                                                                          I also have some 1972 sears suburban 12 parts if any one needs them                                                                  165 ant blade 003.JPG                                                                            as usual looking forward to help and all responses thank's to all 

• MH81, Alc, gopher and 2 others have said thanks

#2 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 02:17 PM

Well it does look like someone added a couple ft to it.  But then again the rear view shows it just covering the rear wheels at an angle like that. Which is exactly what I would want!! It assures your not packing the snow with your rear wheels for the next pass.

May look big but I would run it that way.

• boyscout862 and T Guiles have said thanks

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,584 Thanks
  • 3,900 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 03:39 PM

Run dual wheels with as much weight as you can put in/on the wheels and go with it.  I wish my blades were wider than my tractors!

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,237 Thanks
  • 28,598 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 04:19 PM

I have a plow like that on my GT6000 Sears.

Load up the tires, toss some weights on it and plow ( without the steel ext, but the rubber wings help)

I have a 75# weights on each side and a set of decent chains. When she starts spinning, I am pushing to much anyways.

It's done me a great job for years,
PICT0264 (Small).jpg

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 05:25 PM

Nice blade! I'd say it has had some added to each side!

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 05:29 PM

I have a plow like that on my GT6000 Sears. ( without the steel ext, but the rubber wings help)
Load up the tires, toss some weights on it and plow.
I have a 75# weights on each side and a set of decent chains. When she starts spinning, I am pushing to much anyways.
It's done me a great job for years,

That is my opinion too. Hate to disagree with Kris because duals are cool. But traction on snow and ice is all about the pounds per suare inch of tire footprint, Duals would reduce the pounds per suare inch and require much more ballast to get the same or better traction. Farmers run the duals on their tractor to reduce soil compaction.
  • Gtractor, boyscout862 and T Guiles have said thanks

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,584 Thanks
  • 3,900 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 05:43 PM

Right you are but I was figurin' on the addition of so much extra weight within the duals it really wouldn't matter.   :smilewink:

I like the weight in the wheels/tires and not so much hanging on the rear of the tractor. 

• MH81, JD DANNELS and T Guiles have said thanks

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 06:52 PM

Right you are but I was figurin' on the addition of so much extra weight within the duals it really wouldn't matter.   :smilewink:
I like the weight in the wheels/tires and not so much hanging on the rear of the tractor.

I agree with that. weight in the wheels is the right way to go. I would hate to see a guy break the transaxle by loading on too much weight. I tried that once loaded a 12 hp Lawn Chef without adding wheelwrights or fluid. I mounted two toolboxes to the seat pan and put 300 lbs of lead in them, Never broke it, but it sure went through drive belts that winter. And it never steered worth a darn.
Had to start on the inside of the curve and build up enough snow on the outside to hold me on the drive?
Some of my opinions(maybe most) come from trial and error. And I learn the most from the errors,
I have seen pictures of broken gts where duals put too much leverage on the housing.
  • Gtractor and T Guiles have said thanks

#9 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 07:22 PM

I agree the plow was added to. Put on extra weight and see how it does. Does the plow have hydraulic angle or manual?

Edited by TomLGT195, August 08, 2013 - 07:22 PM.

• T Guiles said thank you

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 07:40 PM

Power angle would be nice! I do not have it on my rear blade on the 1500. I get around it by starting in the middle and driving to the end of my 1/4 mile lane turning around and driving back without changing the angle. It works ok since I can roll the snow over the bank on each side.

#11 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 11:39 PM

thank's to all I plan on running chain's and have 45lb wheel weights.  

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,237 Thanks
  • 28,598 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 06:54 AM

thank's to all I plan on running chain's and have 45lb wheel weights.

With as beefy as the Fords are, I would also fill the tires. Gain you a few extra lbs and could get you another 50/side.

#13 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 07:35 PM

I've been thinking about this. I think You need a back up plan! You may be able to move up to 3" of snow. But heavy wet stuff or deep snow, and, You may find the tractor has a mind of its own!

The people who designed that machine lived in Wisconsin, and probably knew how much plow it could handle! Pushing straight forward, as in leveling dirt, I think it could do. But, I think you'd be in a world of back and forth in a snow storm! I have a 42" snowblower on mine and that works real good. If you could find one of them?

What's your snow removal job like?

Joe

#14 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 01:59 AM

I don't have much of a drive way to plow ..maybe 30 feet by 40 but it's on a slight incline. I would love a snow blower for it but parts are sort of slim in upstate NY sort of funny because I can remember a ford dealership " now newholland" locally. I'll keep looking for one thou.   Boy I sure don't miss all the snow you get up their in Maine... or the black flies.  How's the front yard coming did you get it seeded? Also any word on your woodchuck is he still awol ?

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 05:10 AM

One thing you might try if the front tries to go sideways. Put bicycle chains around the front tires. Might just do the trick!