#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 10:47 AM

SUCKS.....well let me qualify that statement, not having enough money is really the problem. I see GTs and implements all the time and I just know deep down in my heart that i have to have them, because, you know I need them! Having lots of time is really great and I love my home and garage but i can't fill it anymore due to no money. Wife says sell something, I ask her what do you think I can get for you......? what was I thinking? After waking up from the floor ( not really). I decided that I would take inventory and see what I could sell. 1993 Chev. Silverado to be restored, she says." nope", 1942 Allis Chalmers WC on rear steel, she says," nope", 1971 Sears Custom 8 E, she says,"nope", 1972 Sears Custom 10XL, she says, "nope", ....well I guess you get my dilema.  So I was looking in the local paper for a part-time job. You know what ....there aren't any near me. Lots of them 40 to 50 miles away and at todays fuel costs I would make more staying home. So just like a person who is a chocoholic I need my fix and because I am depressed about not being able to buy the things I think I really need and want and have to have, I find a Simplicity 36" rear tiller in decent shape and before I know what the guy wants for it I buy it. ( pretty slick eh?) Now have any of you ever done that? I bought a Jacobsen 42" snowblower the same way. It's like you are there and if you don't buy it right away even before you know for sure what they want for it, the other 300 people standing behind you will snatch ti away from you. Got to go pick up the tiller this week. There I feel better and now maybe I can sleep again at night. HMMMMMM! maybe thid retired thing is't so bad after all..... Oh by the way the tiller was $ 50.00. Roger. 

• Alc, KennyP, boyscout862 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 Jack ONLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 10:59 AM

I feel your pain.  I am layed off for now and am pretty happy with that.   I have 2 more years before really retire. But I'm in the same boat.  No extra money.   So here is where I am at.  I just went out and bought a popup camper and me and the wife are going to go and spend some quality time in the great outdoors.  Since I have lots more time than money.  Down side is I guess I am going to sell my tractors to pay for it.   Good luck 

Jack..

• MH81, Alc, hamman and 3 others have said thanks

#3 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 11:14 AM

I retired at 55.....for 3 years. The money was an issue for sure and I also got bored with it. If I had money, I wouldnt have got bored.....lol

A couple of years ago, I got a job driving part time for the local NAPA store....work 3/4 days a week and love it....plus a few extra bucks for stuff we dont need.

• Alc, hamman, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 11:26 AM

Roger, I'm in your boat.  I'm retired and I we have the $$$ to live comfortably but no real extra $$$ for the hobbies or what ever.  That is why I started doing small engine repair.  It is something I enjoy and it brings in some $$$ to buy tools with or take that trip to visit grandkids etc.  The one thing nice is I don't take in a bunch of work at a time.  I let it trickle in so I'm not pushed to get it done and I can have time to myself.  You have marketable skills in your ability to fix things.  I would say 85 - 90% of the time the fuel lines are the problem with a weed eater, chain saw and other 2 strokes.  The customer pays for the fuel lines and filter (I always replace the fuel filter) and about 30 minutes ( a little longer with a chain saw) work and I make $30 - $35.  Just a thought.

• Alc, hamman, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#5 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 11:35 AM

Yep know the boredom very well,,, I "retired" for 2 yrs once, I couldn't stand it near the end! I was in my late 40's and your correct unless you wanna just spend, spend, spend to keep happy/busy your gonna get BORED after a bit of time.  Best to have a plan of keeping busy that doesnt include spending and includes interaction with real people on a regular basis.

• hamman, JDBrian and Jack have said thanks

#6 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 12:08 PM

I'm with HDWildBill.  Start your own business.  JOB = Just Over Broke.  When I need something or spot a must have tractor, I buy something I don't need that I can fix and resell.  Ethanol has been a pain in my A$$, but it has also bought me a ton of toys.  I can buy a self-propelled rear bag mower that won't start for less than $50, clean the carb & resell it for $150 to $200.   Same with riders.  I can buy dead riders for less than $200 & resell them for $400.  Not only do I get money to buy toys, I satisfy my need to fix stuff.

• Alc, EricFromPa, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#7 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 12:10 PM

HD, I hear ya ! I tried the Small engine thing however there was one small problem....where I live we have about 25 - 35% unemployment most of the year around. I don't care what the numbers from the county, state and country say it is that high. I was "helping" people out fixing things abd not even getting paid for my parts. I had to stop doing it just for that fact. Now that's not to say I woun't help someone out that is truly needy, but when I fix something for someone who has a cell phone (not a prepaid or O----phone, but a nice I phone, cigarettes, a new tatto every week, or a car they keep in the garage to drive when they want to go somewhere nicey want to, and they woun't even pay for the parts I have to draw the line. We figured out in one summer I made about $20.00 and spent over $100.00 in parts We never got paid for. Don't get me wrong we have some very nice people up here but some are very tight. We have one SE guy in town and he stays busy. He woun't do any work unless he gets a downpayment and then he will work until it's fixed and paid for or until it needs more money to fix it. He does a good job and is relatively quick. I wouldn't really want to live anywhere else so I guess I am stuck. I just don't have the heart to charge lots of money to tinker and help someone out. I'm not really bored as I have a lot to do. I just don't have the money to prepetuate my hobby ( wife calls it a habit) the way I want. We live comfortably and are getting by. I will only have one payment after December and that will help. I just this morning fixed a couple of old push mowers we use around here. I have two more that need to get running and set out by the road. Extra money always helps and We try not to use household budget monet for the hobby. Sometimes tough when all of a sudden things pop up that sure would be nice to have. Thanks guys got to go. I have a 1968 Evinrude snowmobile that I want to put on either ebay or craigslist, and I need to get it out to blow the crap out of it so I can take some picures. i should just part it out but not sure how to price things. Has a good rotary motor that was " Running When I Parked it" ha ha ! Really it's only good for parts. Sorry for the typos btu i am trying to use the finger that has no feeling to type with. Later. Roger. 

#8 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 01:16 PM

Roger, I'm sorry to hear that.  I retired about 6 or 7 years ago, did something else for 3.5 years and now just work part time.  I love it.  I have all the time off I want.  I tell them when I'm available.  I go to camp at least once a month for a week.  I hunt and fish more than I ever have.  Money is less, but I have to budget it better.  I found lots of things that I didn't really need to buy.  

I hope it gets better for you.  

• hamman said thank you

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 01:24 PM

Now Quit it Out!!! :wave:  I was planning to retire in 3 yrs. You guys are going to talk mo out of it at this rate?

• hamman said thank you

#10 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,326 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 02:07 PM

I'm with HDWildBill.  Start your own business.  JOB = Just Over Broke.  When I need something or spot a must have tractor, I buy something I don't need that I can fix and resell.  Ethanol has been a pain in my A$$, but it has also bought me a ton of toys.  I can buy a self-propelled rear bag mower that won't start for less than $50, clean the carb & resell it for $150 to $200.   Same with riders.  I can buy dead riders for less than $200 & resell them for $400.  Not only do I get money to buy toys, I satisfy my need to fix stuff.

There's only 1 problem with this.After a while you get to be known for fixing the stuff.And instead of people selling it they call you and ask if you can fix it.Being a good neighbor you always say YES. :rolling:

After a couple of years fixing stuff you decide to open a small engine repair shop and end up going bankrupt because there's no money in it for honest folk.

Edited by EricFromPa, August 08, 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#11 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 02:34 PM

1971 Sears Custom 8 E, she says,"nope" . . . . .   

How come she's so attached to your stuff?

• hamman said thank you

#12 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 02:58 PM

LillysDad, she has the bug as bad as I do. She just doesn't part with the money until the bills are paid????? I can live without elec., gas, water, oops not water. lol! Roger.

#13 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 03:04 PM

Most of the Small Engine shops around here charge $60 - $80 an hour.  I charge about half that and you don't pay you don't get your equipment back until you do.  Very few get free services, most are family and even then it all depends on what they want.  I help out the kids mostly for free.  over the last 3 years I've yet to have a dead beat.  Quite a few pay in cash and quite often I get a tip to boot, the repair may come to $55 and they give me $60 and say keep the change.  I have had a few who made payments but even then I kept the equipment until paid in full.

I ran into the free services thing you guys are talking about with the computers and folks did take advantage of my good nature.  I closed that end up this year and learned a lesson.

But as far as retirement, I have really enjoyed it.  I stay as busy as I want and yet am able to go off and do what I want with in reason. 

• Alc and hamman have said thanks

#14 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,179 Thanks
  • 5,205 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 03:18 PM

Guys stop will ya I have a long ways to go and your terning me away from retireing. lol

• hamman said thank you

#15 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 913 Thanks
  • 1,204 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 04:46 PM

I am retired also I always stay busy but money is tight. What really hurts is when all those insurance bills for house and auto come in. what a rip off insurance companies are. People find out I am retired and they want repair work for free.

• hamman said thank you