#1 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 07:59 AM

OK. I have a Wisconsin that will not run right. I cleaned the carb. and rewired the tractor it was on. Now it won't rev up and struggles to start. It has a good flow of fuel to the carburetor. I am thinking it is more of a spark issue though???

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 08:53 AM

Check the points first. Check the Manuals section for the manual and look into timing. Good Luck, Rick
  • LTD said thank you

#3 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,175 Thanks
  • 2,147 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 08:55 AM

Those Wisconsin engines were sensitive to good ignition components & timing.

Make sure the points are clean and set properly.

Are you getting a strong spark at the plug?

However, "not revving up" is usually not an indication of faulty ignition, but more of a fuel or mechanical problem.

• LTD said thank you

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 05:59 PM

Only listen to this if you have not bought a new points and condenser set while working on your TRA-10D: if the points are good you should consider a new condenser. 

Have you taken a little powered carb cleaner to the carburetor?  I would also wonder if a jet is clogged. 

Ben W.

• LTD said thank you

#5 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 08:49 AM

Only listen to this if you have not bought a new points and condenser set while working on your TRA-10D: if the points are good you should consider a new condenser. 

Have you taken a little powered carb cleaner to the carburetor?  I would also wonder if a jet is clogged. 

Ben W.

I took the carburetor all the way apart, removed the jets and let it soak overnight. Then I blew out the whole carb. with compressed air. The points aren't great but I am getting a good spark at the plug. Will jump a 1/4 inch gap and is bright blue.It will only start on idle. Anything above that, it wont even fire.

• superaben said thank you

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 05:19 PM

Levi, does it run evenly at idle?

Ben W.

• LTD said thank you

#7 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,175 Thanks
  • 2,147 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 07:57 PM

I took the carburetor all the way apart, removed the jets and let it soak overnight. Then I blew out the whole carb. with compressed air. The points aren't great but I am getting a good spark at the plug. Will jump a 1/4 inch gap and is bright blue.It will only start on idle. Anything above that, it wont even fire.

I have witnessed a very strange occurence on two of these Wisconsin engines - broken camshafts!

Those engines would start and idle, but would not speed-up, and would die.  .....They would restart and idle but that's it.

The ignition points are operated by the camshaft, so when the load is increased, the points may not be operating (depending on where the camshaft breaks.)  .....Also, the valve timing is thrown off.

The first time I encountered a broken cam, it was a real head-scratcher!  ....Nothing made sense, or seemed logical.  ...The next time, I knew what to look for.  .....That was the "mechanical problem" I suspected in my earlier post.

From what I experienced, there was enough "friction" at the break-point, to allow the cam to function as normal at idle.  ....Once the speed was increased, there was enough load to make the camshaft "slip," and the engine would stall.

To check this out, you could remove the cover over the valve springs and start the engine.  ....If the valves stop functioning when speed is increased, you have a broken cam.

Before doing that, you could remove the spark plug, and look to see if the valves are working properly, but I don't remember if the valves are visible through the plug hole.

• LTD said thank you

#8 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 10:27 PM

Before doing that, you could remove the spark plug, and look to see if the valves are working properly, but I don't remember if the valves are visible through the plug hole.

I pulled the head and the valves seem to be working all right. I will check the cam. You never know. The plug is directly over the exhaust valve on this engine.

#9 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 10:27 PM

Levi, does it run evenly at idle?

Ben W.

Yes, It runs pretty good at idle.

#10 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 06:46 PM

Goingto go out and work on this tonight. Maybe I can figure it out. Where do you guys get parts for these engines? I am goingto to see if I can get new points and condenser and maybe a carb. kit if I can find one.

Edited by LTD, August 17, 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#11 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 09:42 PM

Well, it is now fixed. Needed a new set of points. Runs absolutely great now.  Thanks for all the advice, guys.

• boyscout862 said thank you