• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Clippnalawn OFFLINE  

Clippnalawn

• Member No: 4993
  • 109 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 12:25 AM

The massey had her big debut last week at the puget sound antique tractor show. My oldest and my girlfriends 2 boys pulled in the #1000 stock class and got first place with a 165' pull at 4.9mph. They also got 3rd and 4th place( we only have 1 tractor to pull with so the boys all share) What a horse!! (I don't know how much weight was on the sled, we are pretty new to this. I did hear the officials say they really had it loaded up for the last pull of the show). I know gear drive cub cadets are the favorites.....but if any body is looking to pull with a hydro the mf16 is incredible with the 2 speed rearend. It's a very heavy tractor, with the small wheel weights and the 1" plate I used to make the hitch it weighs in around #880... I was worried the turf tires wouldn't get the job done but it did great last weekend and I actually got the front tires off the ground twice when I was pulling.

image.jpg

image.jpg
This pic was from a play day we had a few weeks ago

image.jpg
This is where we were testing the ol girl out in the driveway, hooked to my buddies 3/4ton ford.
  • MH81, hamman, skyrydr2 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 08:18 AM

As few as they made, I would be hesitant to risk destroying one of 3950, ever built and one of the most collectable tractors in the world for pulling a sled full of dead weight, but hey some people tear them apart and sell them in pieces, just makes mine worth more. I guess I never could grasp the purpose behind pulling a sled or demolition derby's which seem about the same to me. I've never been able to afford a lot and try and take extra care of the things I own, I guess that just as strange to others.

• TerryD and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 speedex99gt OFFLINE  

speedex99gt
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10699
  • 43 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 08:46 AM

I like massey better than cub cadets

• boyscout862 and OkieGt have said thanks

#4 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 09:11 AM

I like massey better than cub cadets

Cub owns the Pulling title of all tractors, their incredibly strong rear end and transmission has been a staple of Pullers nation wide. They even use Cub rear ends in other brands of tractors during pulling events. Both Cub Cadet and John Deere made one million or more Garden Tractors each by the 1980s that gives the pulling clubs lots of iron. My only concern is for the rare or low production tractors and their survival. Many of the pullers are going to newer tractors and v-twin/motorcycle engines which should reduce the stress the pulling tractor sport has on the collection and restoration hobby. If we as collectors and restorers don't take care of these tractors, this hobby and the forums will disappear forever. There are many Cub and Deere collectors, but how many collectors of Speedex tractors or other low production models are out there, not many, anytime a tractor is rare then there can only be a limited amount of collectors and eventually they will die out. If  Cubs and Deeres begin to be rare, the hobby and the collections will disappear along with the forums and businesses that cater to them.

Edited by OkieGt, August 08, 2013 - 09:13 AM.

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#5 Clippnalawn OFFLINE  

Clippnalawn

• 109 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 11:42 AM

I Am Fully Aware Of How Many Of These Tractors Were Made And That They Are Highly Sought After. I Saved This One From Going To The Recycler, It Had A Blown Engine And The Mower Dec Was Completely Rusted Out And Bent Up. I Rebuilt The Engine To Stock, I Fabricated A Hitch/Mount Plate That Bolts To The Back Using Factory Holes, And The Wheelie Bars Connect To The Axle Where The Rear Implements/Lift Arms Would Connect. Everything That Makes It A Puller Can Be Removed In Less Than 10 Minutes With Hand Tools. My Kids Wanted A Puller, I Wanted Them To Start With A Hydrostatic And This Was What I Found. It Gets A Lot Of Attention, Especially After People See What It Can Do, It Beat A Bolens H14 By 15Ft And A John Deere 140 By More Than 20Ft.
Garden Tractor Collecting Hasnt Really Caught On In My Area But The Massey Along With My Other Vintage TractoS Have Brought Several New People Into The Hobby. Pretty Tough To Inspire New People From The Bottom Of A Scrap Pile Or Locked Up In A Barn 363 Days A Year Because Its Too Rare To Use.
  • broken2, MH81, tractorgarden and 2 others have said thanks

#6 collinmf12 OFFLINE  

collinmf12
  • Member No: 10011
  • 114 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 12:02 PM

I was going to trie the same thing find an MF 16 and make it a pulling tractor. MF 16 are hard to find because of there two year making. I often pull with my MF 14 when i can. When you pull is high range or low better to pull?

• Clippnalawn said thank you

#7 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 03:10 PM

I think the consensus with the pulling crowd is that you need to have a geared tractor to be competitive. I'm not an expert. I do know they have many different classes, not sure if they divide hydro and geared though. There are a lot of tractors out there, not all are really suitable for pulling, but the sport has always been "run what you brung". If at all possible I would like to see the rarer tractors like the MF-14 and MF-16 find uses after they are no longer deemed useful in the pulling arena, instead of being scrapped. The reality is none of us that collect can stop the destruction/reduction of these tractors, they are being sold for  parts and scrapped at an alarming rate. This in no way has to do with pullers or the sport, in fact I believe they keep interest in the tractors, so before anyone misunderstands me, I want to clear that up. The biggest threat to our hobby is the economy. Not long ago most of these machines were worth much more even though they were everywhere. Now it is very hard to find a nice unmolested old GT on Craigslist or eBay. If I want to sell my tractors people offer me 400.00 and I get disgusted, if someone wants to sell one of their tractors they want 2500.00 and everyone laughs at them.There is no real market anymore, if you want to sell your going to take a loss. The big tractor hobby is going through this now. there are plenty of the big old tractors left but the old guys that collected these tractors from before the turn of the century until after WW2 are dying off, and fewer and fewer are being shown. There was a time 10 years ago that when you went to a tractor show it went on for miles. That is not so much the case any longer

#8 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 03:18 PM

I Am Fully Aware Of How Many Of These Tractors Were Made And That They Are Highly Sought After. I Saved This One From Going To The Recycler, It Had A Blown Engine And The Mower Dec Was Completely Rusted Out And Bent Up. I Rebuilt The Engine To Stock, I Fabricated A Hitch/Mount Plate That Bolts To The Back Using Factory Holes, And The Wheelie Bars Connect To The Axle Where The Rear Implements/Lift Arms Would Connect. Everything That Makes It A Puller Can Be Removed In Less Than 10 Minutes With Hand Tools. My Kids Wanted A Puller, I Wanted Them To Start With A Hydrostatic And This Was What I Found. It Gets A Lot Of Attention, Especially After People See What It Can Do, It Beat A Bolens H14 By 15Ft And A John Deere 140 By More Than 20Ft.
Garden Tractor Collecting Hasnt Really Caught On In My Area But The Massey Along With My Other Vintage TractoS Have Brought Several New People Into The Hobby. Pretty Tough To Inspire New People From The Bottom Of A Scrap Pile Or Locked Up In A Barn 363 Days A Year Because Its Too Rare To Use.

Without the pulling sport many people would never know about these tractors because few want to see old GTs sitting at shows they want to see them pulling or racing. One day I will have a collection of the rarest hydros made during the 1970s, oops, I think I may almost be there, lol. It's not what they are worth, or that I own them, it's about their history and the men, women , and companies that produced them. It's really about a time in America where there was less greed and a man worked for his company to help his kids, and a company took care of a man because he was a good and valuable asset to the company, most of that is gone today. While I realize you can not return to the past, I at least can celebrate it, by saving some great examples of it. Hopefully I can find a museum willing to take them when I no longer can care for them, and they will live another 50 or even a 100 years

• TerryD said thank you

#9 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 05:50 PM

What breed of hydros do those Massey's run?

Ben W.

• Clippnalawn and OkieGt have said thanks

#10 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 07:17 PM

Here's a Video of a MF16 working around the farm, you can really hear the hydro loading up and it's not even running full speed. I don't think this is to save.

• OkieGt said thank you

#11 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 08:14 PM

Here's a Video of a MF16 working around the farm, you can really hear the hydro loading up and it's not even running full speed. I don't think this is to save.

Thanks, That is a GREAT video, I think it's  from somewhere in French Quebec, Canada, maybe France, but I dont think so, I saw the video quite some time ago and it proves what these old Massy's like most other old GTs will pull like the devil, But he not pulling competively, he is demonstrating it's power in a very measured way, not giving her the crop like one would do in a pulling event. That said, our GTs only utilize about 25 percent of the available power that the hydro can produce. I can jack those hydros up where they would run 60mph or pull what a big tractor could if the transaxle would hold up and the tires would grip. Most all of our old GTs can withstand pulling events, but I would not subject any of mine to more than a one or two time pull out of respect and concern. I try to use my car to go to school and the store, I could race it, but I don't because I dont have the money to repair it. If I had a 65 shelby mustang or even a 65 Ford Fairlane someone gave me, I would not race it either. There was a time where I would race any car not caring what I did to my car,. Now I see the value and purpose in a machine and respect it for what it is and what it was intended to do. It is not a toy for me to do with what I please, even though I am able to do so, it is a temporay possession I have been entrusted to care for, just as I try to do here on the farm and it's land. If I was interested in the Pulling tractor hobby I would start with a Cub 102 or 122 and I would build a super nice stock or slightly modified engine and race in stock/modified class and try and outpull my competitor through superior driving. That's what makes pulling fun or at least it used too, before rules, big money, and sponsors came in, like NASCAR used to be But like all things time and money has a way of changing men and the world. When they no longer pull old tractors, and that day will come, since I dont see them pulling horse carriages or chariots, I (or someone else)wiil still be taking care of my old iron when many old GTs are lying in a yard rusting away or sold for scrap. I really dont think anything I say matters to anyone, and maybe it shouldn't, it just has to matter to me. i appreciate what amatuer pullers do for their sport and our hobby, I just have a concern for the machines that has nothing to do with pride, money, or envy.

Edited by OkieGt, August 08, 2013 - 08:21 PM.

#12 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 09:31 PM

Five posts in this thread and I finally see I'm posting in the GT Puller forum, cant wait for my eye surgery. I really hope I haven't PO'd anyone, I wasn't meaning to, and I didn't realize this thread was in the Pulling tractor section. I was just offering a opinion, mostly nothing to do with pulling or tractors, thanks for putting up with my meaningless ramblings.

#13 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,277 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 09:57 PM

Glad to hear the 16 is being enjoyed and shared with the young'uns.
Amazing how much these critters can move when given the opportunity.
Thanks for the pics and the save.
  • Clippnalawn and OkieGt have said thanks

#14 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 10:06 PM

Glad to hear the 16 is being enjoyed and shared with the young'uns.
Amazing how much these critters can move when given the opportunity.
Thanks for the pics and the save.

I agree, they are the next generation of GTTalk members

#15 Clippnalawn OFFLINE  

Clippnalawn

• 109 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 10:52 PM

I was going to trie the same thing find an MF 16 and make it a pulling tractor. MF 16 are hard to find because of there two year making. I often pull with my MF 14 when i can. When you pull is high range or low better to pull?

My boy tried high range one time on our play day and its just too high...the motor couldn't keep up. And low range will still get you up close to 5mph.

What breed of hydros do those Massey's run?

Ben W.

It is a sunstrand hydro....I believe it's the inline model 15... But i could be wrong. I'm not sure who made the 2 speed axle, guess I better do some research.
  • superaben said thank you