Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

it's been too long, and now a pain in my rear.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 09:27 PM

So, today I got a little space heater for my parents small 1/2 car garage. It took the edge off the bitter cold having it blowing toward me. I finally finished putting my ss12 together, adjust to carb back to factory settings and had the fuel lines all good to go. gave it a little shot of gas down the throat (couple drops) and it popped on the first turn. Than after that it ran good for 5 minutes so I could make it run not so rich and died. so I took and put the idle mixture at 1 turn from seat, and no go. So next I put it 2 turns from seat and it ran REALLY rich. Next I put it 1-1/4 turns from seat and nothing but a pop here and there. So I put it at 1-1/3 off seat and it was OK, but stalled when I let the clutch out at neutral. so back to factory it went. So now I took the high speed and put it at 1 turn off seat, not good. Put it at factory and it ran for a minute than died. I checked the fuel filter and it had lost prime. Tomorrow If I get a chance I will be unhooking some hoses to get the air from the lines again and hopeful it will do as it is supposed.

It's been 3 months, it looked so promising and I ended up with a face full of fuel trying to prime the system the lazy way...

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,293 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 09:47 PM

It's been 3 months, it looked so promising and I ended up with a face full of fuel...

Been there, done that, went to the hospital.

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted November 22, 2010 - 06:10 AM

Good luck on getting your SS12 going. sometimes those carbs can be really tricky.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted November 22, 2010 - 05:51 PM

Yes, TEC carbs are the worst. Many times you have to pull the welch plugs to wire out the passages.

#5 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted November 22, 2010 - 08:05 PM

before it blew the head gasket, this carb was good at any setting. I figure when I took it off and the fuel dried up and while sitting some dirt got into it. Hopefully tomorrow if my teachers allow...... I can spend a couple minutes outside working on it.

#6 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted November 22, 2010 - 08:38 PM

I don't know if this could be part of your carb problem or not but I'll tell you what drove me nuts once working with a tecumseh carb. I had a HH100 in a Massey 12 hydro that ran well and sometimes it would just stop like it ran out of gas but everytime I pulled the bowl off the carb there would be gas in it. this carb was gravity fed from the gas tank. After a couple of days of fighting this problem I found out that the needle valve seat is an o ring type seal the is in the top half of the carb and the all metal needle seals against the o ring. This o ring had become very sticky with age and the needle valve would stick to it sometimes hard enough so that the float wouldn't open the valve and let any gas in. When I was taking the bowl off of the carb while it was on the tractor, by the time I got the bowl off I must have been bumping the float enough to get it to drop down and then gas woud flow. After replacing that troublesome o ring I never had any problems with that carb again.

#7 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted November 22, 2010 - 09:21 PM

On my HH120 carb, I had the air filter off and adjusted the carb to run well. i put the air filter on and had to start all over again. If I remember right, I set the idle screw and main jet to factory setting, and adjusted the idle to get it running. I then had to go back and forth between the two mixture screws and work my way up to WOT. So try playing with the idle screw at the same time and see what happens.

#8 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted November 23, 2010 - 05:52 PM

Well, spent about 10 minutes and got it running good enough to get me to the shed and back. I got some ags on the back and had no luck backing up, put it in low-1 and couldn't hardly keep traction. I got 2 sets of weights to put on it, when I fingers warm up.

I'll work on the high speed screw tomorrow, after the big snow we're supposed to get. right now I have idle but as soon as I rev it up it dies. I heard it backfire for the first time today, I think it gets starved for fuel with my current setting of 1 1/4 turn on the idle and 1 turn on the high speed.

If any one has a linkage bar thingy for one of these plows I would be willing to buy it.

#9 ss12 OFFLINE  

ss12

• Member No: 827
  • 0 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted November 23, 2010 - 07:48 PM

what linkage bar thingy? if i dont have it, i could make you a copy of one of mine

#10 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted November 23, 2010 - 08:10 PM

The bars that go from the frame of the plow to the front axle. They are rounded and double ended.

Not the easiest to describe, so here's a picture.
Posted Image

#11 ss12 OFFLINE  

ss12

• 0 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted November 23, 2010 - 11:43 PM

so you need the upper link? i made one for my ss15. i can make you one if you'd like. it wont look factory, but will work. it wont be awfully ugly either, i promise. now reading your post a bit better, you say it as a multiple. the upper link is just one, right side.

#12 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted November 24, 2010 - 03:39 PM

it's only the one, I'm not sure which goes where but they all fit in the different spots. How much would you need for one of the links?

#13 ss12 OFFLINE  

ss12

• 0 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted November 24, 2010 - 07:30 PM

i'd think it'd ship pretty cheap, $15 w/ shipping?

#14 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted November 24, 2010 - 08:31 PM

sounds like a good price! I plowed with it tonight and it keeps turning right. I will talk to my parents and see when I'll be getting the money they owe me.

How do you make the bar? just curious.

#15 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 25, 2010 - 07:10 AM

I plowed with it tonight and it keeps turning right.

Does the plow have skids on it? Is the front tire pressure equal on both the front tires and both the rear tires?