Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

hiawatha outboard, I got volunteered to help fix.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 07:44 PM

My dad volunteered me to help his friend with his 5hp Hiawatha outboard. It's a 2cycle, 2cylinder engine. I spent some time looking at it and decided I'm not digging in until I know what's inside. I did some searching and this particular engines blood lines include being sold by Montgomery Wards, and made by another company. From my knowledge it runs, but not so well and is very hard to start. Any details on what needs to be done to clean the carb, and adjust it would be very greatly appreciated.

Also how is this cooled? From my knowledge it should be liquid like all other boat engines, but I can't find any intakes or places where the water would exit. It does not have a fan on the fly wheel either.

Thanks!!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 08:00 PM

Just above the lower gear housing, there should be water inlet holes on one or both sides. The coolant water is expelled with the exhaust. It is definitely a water cooled unit.

#3 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 08:52 PM

Thanks, is there any knowledge on the card on this? how to take it apart and what to be careful of? Another question is how is this turned off? there's no kill wire to anywhere, only a carving in the handle that says off, or something else.

#4 papas yards OFFLINE  

papas yards

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1350
  • 1 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 08:58 PM

Hiawatha was sold by montgomery warde and i think was made by gale?? jim

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 09:07 PM

Throttle is more controlled by ignition timing than the carb throttle opening. I'm not exactly sure, but shutdown might be just by retarding the throttle till it can't run. The throttling arm moves the whole ignition plate, and also opens/closes the carb butterfly as it moves. I figure it has a single carb for both cylinders? As to shop manuals, you'll need to do some google digging. Here is some info:
Outboard Motor

#6 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 09:30 PM

Throttle is more controlled by ignition timing than the carb throttle opening. I'm not exactly sure, but shutdown might be just by retarding the throttle till it can't run. The throttling arm moves the whole ignition plate, and also opens/closes the carb butterfly as it moves. I figure it has a single carb for both cylinders? As to shop manuals, you'll need to do some google digging. Here is some info:
Outboard Motor

that explains the oversized, connected to every thing throttle. There is just one carb for both cylinders.

#7 Raspy OFFLINE  

Raspy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 113
  • 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted November 28, 2010 - 11:59 AM

If it just has a dirty carb and needs some tuning up, why not run it in a barrel with a heavy dose of Berrymans in the fuel. Then change the plugs and see what you've got. It looks old enough to have points, so you might have to clean and adjust those too. In fact, that could be the whole problem.

I had an old Mercury with no apparent kill switch. The choke was the kill system of choice.

Be sure it pumps water through the cooling system when you start it up. There's usually a telltale hole that pees water below the power head and above the water line so you can see it working. A common problem is a bad water pump impeller or clogged passages.