- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,485 Thanks
  • 7,357 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 08:02 AM

Today is a the 68th anniversary of the first nuke used in war. Many people believe it was a bad thing and it was. War is a horrible thing and I know several of our members can attest to that. We were lucky that President Truman was a veteran of the trenches in WWI. He knew that we had to do a bad thing to avoid the horrors that would happen if we tried to invade Japan.

If we had invaded Japan, there probably would have been over a million Americans killed and ten times that wounded. After a month of the fighting, we would have gotten very calloused and it would have been like hot areas in the Nam where we just burned everything. The b29s would have fire bombed every square yard of Japan. Nobody talks about it but the nukes probably saved 50 million Japanese lives. 

There are probably 20 million Americans, including myself, that are alive today because of the nukes. I thank God for Truman, Tibbets, The Manhatan Project and all vets.

Good Luck, Rick

• Texas Deere and Horse, hamman, tinbender7 and 8 others have said thanks

#2 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 09:02 AM

Very interesting read. Thanks for sharing!

• tinbender7 said thank you

#3 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 09:47 AM

I feel the same way. My Grandfather, whom I never got to meet, was a Pearl Harbor Vet, although he was a survivor the impact it left on him did him in. I was thankful that President Truman did what he did before worse could happen.

• tinbender7 said thank you

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,672 Thanks
  • 4,220 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 07:40 PM

Good thing we bombed Japan and won the war, otherwisw everything we buy would be "Made in Japan".......Wait a minute...........

#5 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 11:14 PM

I noticed how quiet the press was on this subject, each year a little less on the subjecrt.  Trying to remove this great human learning experience from the history books I suppose...

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 02:39 AM

War is very horrible, it didn't affect this country like it did to Europe and Japan. I spent 27 months in West Berlin, and reminders of the war were everywhere. Even 40 years after the war, (I was there from 1978 to 1980), there were still scars left from the war.

BTW the assault plan was to use upto 7 nukes on the beach before the invasion. This was before the affects of radiation were fully known. Also there were 3 duel survivors, they were at both Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
  • boyscout862 said thank you