Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Know How Well Made A 234 Ih Case Is ?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 05:53 AM

I saw this not far from home , might make a nice little tractor but I don't know much about them , the price doesn't seem too bad , only 2wd but guessing it has a diff. lock making snow plowing a little easier then using the PK I use now .

http://newjersey.cra...3938345401.html

• JRJ said thank you

#2 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 06:03 AM

Here's what I found on it with a bit of searching:

http://tractors.wiki...ternational_234

Made By Mitsubishi for Case IH.  Appears to be about the same size as the Iseki/Bolens tractors.

Should be a nice little sub-compact.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 06:20 AM

I've only been around one once.  It was a nice simple tractor with not too many bells and frills.  The price is good as long as it is a good runner.   The one I was around was a dog to start when it was cold. 

Ben W.

#4 braxx OFFLINE  

braxx

• Member No: 7898
  • 20 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 07:16 AM

I had a Case IH 235 (a lot like that 234) and I liked it. BUT it was horible to start in the winter even with glow plugs. If I had one again, it would have to have a block heater like diesel trucks have.

Sent from my S3

#5 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 09:03 AM

Looks pretty beefy and price is not bad at all.

#6 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 09:12 AM

I had a Case IH 235 (a lot like that 234) and I liked it. BUT it was horible to start in the winter even with glow plugs. If I had one again, it would have to have a block heater like diesel trucks have.

Sent from my S3

That's kinda odd that it would have cold start issues.

My HDT1000 has the same basic engine, a K3D vs. the K3B in the 234, and it started just find last winter.  I wonder if maybe it's a battery issue?  I have a LARGE battery with a LOT of CCA and it spins it over quite well.

• Alc said thank you

#7 braxx OFFLINE  

braxx

• Member No: 7898
  • 20 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 10:11 AM

That's kinda odd that it would have cold start issues.

My HDT1000 has the same basic engine, a K3D vs. the K3B in the 234, and it started just find last winter. I wonder if maybe it's a battery issue? I have a LARGE battery with a LOT of CCA and it spins it over quite well.

Mine had a 6 month old battery. Glow plugs checked out fine and I could heat them for a solid 60 seconds and crank the engine and it would turn over fine but not start. As a temp solution. 15min before I needed it to start. I would put a heat gun blowing on to the injection pump and tarp the front end up. Then move the heat gun to the air intake inlet and it would start up ok. I even had the diesel anti gel and diesel fuel treatment in the tank.

Sent from my S3

• Alc said thank you

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 10:26 AM

Al the price seems  right. That would be newer than My Ford. And Mitsubish makes a good tractor.

If it runs as good as it looks it should be a great little tractor.

I moved a lot of snow with my Ford last year, And if I found a place 4WD was needed, it was because I was not paying attention.

I actually got caught w/o the chains on first snow of the season and did get it stuck once. Must not have been too bad the neighbor pulled me out with a Polaris 4 wheeler. Put the chains on and never had an issue the rest of the season.

With Chains I think you would like it a lot!!  As for he starting issue?? Back in the late 50's and 60's There was not a car in Iowa w/o a block heater.  Our winters seem milder now?

they are not expensive or difficult to install.  I have not had to put one on my Ford yet, but if I had starting issues would do it in a heartbeat. I think I only put the battery charger on it, on Boost once. If a diesel will spin it will start.

BTW with the size of your garden, I'm betting it would see plenty of use in the summer too.

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 06, 2013 - 10:31 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 10:32 AM

That looks like a well maintained low hour tractor. Big wheels on the back though. I wonder if it was used on a golf course.

#10 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 07:24 PM

These sell like hotcakes around here, apparently that one did too, it's going, going, gone. They are far better  in my opinion than many compacts due to their frame design, a longer tractor, much better traction and usability, if that makes any sense. I kick my self dor not buy one a few years ago that like new for 2600.00 everyone I 've seen lately has been close to 5,000 or more, and their selling.

#11 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 08:39 PM

Funny it was listed while we were on vacation so today it was still listed  but when I called after work the fellow said he just sold it Oh well it wasn't meant  to be

• OkieGt said thank you

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 09:09 PM

Funny it was listed while we were on vacation so today it was still listed  but when I called after work the fellow said he just sold it Oh well it wasn't meant  to be

sorry you missed it Al. I knew nothing about these import compact tractors three years ago.
It is very possible I still do not know much. But I knew that was the direction I needed to go.
I started looking at Tractor Data to learn the specs on all the machines I thought would fit my needs.
Then I would go to Tractor House .com and see what was available and what they were selling for around the country.
A little research will keep the brain working and sharp. Plus if another deal comes up in your area you will know what your getting into.
When a deal falls through it is usually because there is a better one just around the corner
  • Alc and OkieGt have said thanks