• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 11:45 PM

My small iris plants put out a few seeds this year (maybe 10 or so), first time in 16 years that they have been there.  Does anyone know how to properly plant them and what time of year? (I've not picked them yet.)  I've always just divided the corms to spread the plants out.  I'd just like to see how they would grow from seed.

• JRJ said thank you

#2 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 12:17 PM

You have caught me out of my realm on this one Harold. But out of curiosity I googled "Collecting Iris Seed" and there is probably more than You ever cared to know on the net.

My wife's Great Grandfather tried to start a flower seed company back in the 20's and was doing well, but it failed due to the onset of the depression.  He went on to make his living as a Cabinet Maker.

I did have the priveledge of knowing him for a short time after we were married. I think he was 93 when I met him, His mind was beginning to go. But was still sharp as a tack on the subject of flowers and puppies.

Every one told me he was a Crotchety old Coot  But anyone who likes flowers and puppies can't be all bad!

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 06, 2013 - 12:24 PM.

#3 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 11:26 PM

"You have caught me out of my realm on this one Harold. But out of curiosity I googled "Collecting Iris Seed" and there is probably more than You ever cared to know on the net."

Yeah JD, like everything else one can think of! :D  I thought I'd just start by "narrowing my search" to trusted and tested first hand folks first. :D  Looks like I'm off to the cyber farm...

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,699 Thanks
  • 8,892 posts

Posted December 11, 2013 - 11:28 AM

It seems HH's gardening skills are really blooming.

http://boards.cannab...nto-flower.html

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 12, 2013 - 11:48 AM

:rolling: That reminds me of the time my father-in-law was complaining that he had to cut down some weed along his driveway.

My Brother-in-law said" Dad that was good stuff, thats where I threw the seed while cleaning my weed."

#6 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 04:44 AM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that right there is funny stuff.... But wait.... How did YOU know he was on that site???? Enquiring minds would like to know.. Or do i need to get your home number and have a chat with your wife..  :poke:

#7 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 06:07 PM

I would be Leary posting things Luke that on the web... Fella I work with us now on the outside looking in!! Seems he done got himself deported back to the D.R.
Been here for 20 years.... No more S.S. or union pension, 20 years.... Wasted..