• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 truckintyler OFFLINE  

truckintyler
  • Member No: 41579
  • 89 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 09:43 PM

building a puller for the labour day weekend pull, anyone have any experience in swapping a kohler m18 into a tube frame or pulling with a bolens in general?

also picked up some barely used carlise super lugs

• Dieselcubmike and OkieGt have said thanks

#2 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 10:04 PM

building a puller for the labour day weekend pull, anyone have any experience in swapping a kohler m18 into a tube frame or pulling with a bolens in general?

also picked up some barely used carlise super lugs

Save your self a TON of trouble and find a 16hp Kohler k341 and build it like the pullers do, its a drop in repower, no fabrication, all pulleys, mounting holes and choke/throttle cables should fit and not a lot of work in the electrical at all either, If you go to a twin you'll be competing against V-twin Vanguards and V-twin Kohlers Commands, you wont win that pull with a M18, they can rev to way higher RPMs. Your G14s rear end and pulling power coupled with a built kohler 16 will give any Cub or Deere a BIG fight. Be sure to read all your pulling tractor rules, they are different from club to club and event to event. Many rules on stock to modified classes. Good Luck

• Trav1s and A.C.T. have said thanks

#3 truckintyler OFFLINE  

truckintyler
  • 89 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 06:43 AM

Oh it's just for fun anyways, no time for engine
Mods I just use what I have laying around. It is a 1 1/8" crank so this shouldn't be too bad just the height and bolt holes, but the pto is coming out which looks like it should free some
Room up.
Wiring will Just be basic tractor wiring
  • OkieGt said thank you

#4 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 08:34 AM

Oh it's just for fun anyways, no time for engine
Mods I just use what I have laying around. It is a 1 1/8" crank so this shouldn't be too bad just the height and bolt holes, but the pto is coming out which looks like it should free some
Room up.
Wiring will Just be basic tractor wiring

Seems like a lot of work, not to have a viable tractor for pulling or mowing/tilling, etc. why dont you just pull with the Tecumseh engine?

#5 Cheetah OFFLINE  

Cheetah
  • Member No: 35081
  • 57 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 10:08 AM

Good on you, Truckintyler, for wanting to work with what you have to have fun rather than spending lots of dollars to compete.

I've no experience with Bolens, but I'm guessing it's a belt drive you're working with. Sounds like you understand pulleys need to line up and all that stuff. Hopefully the motor will fit in there without having to cut anything out of the way.

You should also check with the club that's hosting the Labor Day pull to be sure you're allowed to drop in another motor that didn't come stock with the tractor. Otherwise, you may get there and find out they frown on that. Have you been to one of their pulls at a different location and gotten any information? Also, how long is the track, and at what speeds are the good tractors going? This will help you determine your pulley ratio better.

Hope this works out for you!

• OkieGt said thank you

#6 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 07:02 PM

Good on you, Truckintyler, for wanting to work with what you have to have fun rather than spending lots of dollars to compete.

I've no experience with Bolens, but I'm guessing it's a belt drive you're working with. Sounds like you understand pulleys need to line up and all that stuff. Hopefully the motor will fit in there without having to cut anything out of the way.

You should also check with the club that's hosting the Labor Day pull to be sure you're allowed to drop in another motor that didn't come stock with the tractor. Otherwise, you may get there and find out they frown on that. Have you been to one of their pulls at a different location and gotten any information? Also, how long is the track, and at what speeds are the good tractors going? This will help you determine your pulley ratio better.

Hope this works out for you!

I agree working with what you have is great! When he first posted he really didn't say that, hence my advice. Many people dont like to type out all their thoughts and situations, so all the things that get left out are why we get many responses  like mine, where I didn't really give him the information he needed, because I didn't realize he already had a M18 and was building a tractor from what he had on hand, sorry. I haven't had much luck repowering with different engines, mainly because i wasn't will to cut or permanently alter the tractor  Hope it goes well for you.

#7 truckintyler OFFLINE  

truckintyler
  • 89 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 09:13 PM

My wife's roper 18t will also be going just hope she doesn't pull more than I lol
The magnum I got pretty cheap a month ago he thought it was dead but just a shorted kill
Switch wire :)
So hopefully the bolens will do well ill take some
Pictures as I shoehorn the m18 in,
The whole reason for the swap is the oh140 has a knock, and I'm not to sentimental to having the original engine.
  • OkieGt said thank you

#8 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 09:52 PM

My wife's roper 18t will also be going just hope she doesn't pull more than I lol
The magnum I got pretty cheap a month ago he thought it was dead but just a shorted kill
Switch wire :)
So hopefully the bolens will do well ill take some
Pictures as I shoehorn the m18 in,
The whole reason for the swap is the oh140 has a knock, and I'm not to sentimental to having the original engine.

Too bad you dont have more time, you could sell that M18 for a real good k341. Those M18/M20 engines are really sweet engines and super quiet and smooth for mowing, but a stock M18 might not have the torque a k341 has, kind of like a Ford 300 straight 6 versus a Ford 302 in a truck, the 302 is a sweet ride, but for torque and pulling the straight 6 will eat it's lunch, Again, just my opinion and many may have a great argument against everything I said.

#9 Cheetah OFFLINE  

Cheetah
  • Member No: 35081
  • 57 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 11:31 AM

My wife beats me sometimes, but that just makes the ride home that much nicer...  :thumbs:

Edited by Cheetah, August 13, 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#10 truckintyler OFFLINE  

truckintyler
  • 89 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 09:48 PM

It's a bit tight but the hood still fits cause of the tecumseh bump.
So it needs longer belts, a engine adapter plate so I don't butcher the frame and custom dual stacks cause the kohler pipe is interfering :(
Might use just the drive pulley cause I took the pto off.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• Dieselcubmike and OkieGt have said thanks

#11 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 10:02 PM

Looks like the bigginning of a BEAST puller (Big Engine And Short Track)

Edited by OkieGt, August 23, 2013 - 10:04 PM.

#12 roadranger OFFLINE  

roadranger
  • Member No: 47159
  • 7 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 10:04 PM

I'd be interested to see your pipe setup when you get it done, I've got a M18 that needs pipes.

#13 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted September 21, 2013 - 06:45 PM

I think this is neat as I've got a g14 parts tractor. I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

#14 truckintyler OFFLINE  

truckintyler
  • 89 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted September 21, 2013 - 08:45 PM

well i missed the pulls this year due to family reasons so i have not completed it yet and sent it back out to the storage barn,

i might get back into it once i get a few snowblowers ready to sell,

i was just working on a engine mounting plate last i touched it, will raise the engine about 1/4" so a longer belt will be needed.

pipes, they will be custom. so ill let you see once ive figured it out.