Garden Tractor Forums banner

No More Gts

5K views 55 replies 18 participants last post by  Gutkowski 
#1 ·
Guys after shelling out 150 bucks this weekend, I guess the lightheadedness had me wondering about how/why I ended up in this type of stuff. I realize that some spend lots more and more often.

I guess I'm just trying to pick brains...Is anyone out there...!? :loosing_it:

#2 ·
does it make you happy? like the thrill of the hunt? enjoy getting that deal? as long as your family is taken care of and you spend within your budget who cares? you could be doing a lot worse than playing with a couple of gts, and if you have kids its a good healthy hobby, outdoors, learning mechanics,about tools, skills that someday will be in demand again, mark my words it will happen. i quit drinking so i would have a few extra bucks to play with my tractors, bad influence, i think not, now i spend more time outdoors in my garden playing with my tractors than sitting in some seedy bar

#3 ·
Farmer John said it about good as it can be said.

I do know how you feel sometimes but like someone made the point about how expensive some tires are... Sure a set might cost $400 but how long will they last... I've got GT's with tires that are over 40 year old on them. The same can be said for the other parts. Take care and they will easily pay for themselves many times over.

#5 ·
It could be a lot worse! If you were into Motorcycles or Bicycles you could easily drop $500 - 1K over a weekend. Plus like Farmer John said things last a long time on a tractor so your $150 was probably well spent.

#7 ·
For me I sometimes question the time I devote to the tractors rather than the money. It's great fun to learn about these tractors, repair and rebuild them and most of all use them. It's just hard for me to make the time commitment required to restore a tractor properly.

#10 ·
I agree with everyone else. Personally, it is a great hobby and a great stress relief for me!!! This may sound weird to some, but when I go into the garage, it is like I am in my own little world. As long as you keep within your budget, I am good with buying as many tractors as you want!

#11 ·
It's just hard for me to make the time commitment required to restore a tractor properly.
What is properly? It doesn't have to look brand new. Sometimes I like the looks of an old faded, worn, well cared for tractor, that still keeps purring away. Something that shows it's battle scars and makes you think about how they used to build 'em. You don't have to do the work all at once. Do the important stuff first, then the other things as time permits.

I have a 1970 Wheel Horse Electro12 that has the original engine, runs like a top, and shows every bit of it's 43 years.

#12 ·
I really appreciate youz guys joining in this moment of reflection which verged on Gt blasphemy. I'm not really surprised by the words of reality and support for something that many out there (elsewhere) have not a clue or the slightest interest in. They would probably never understand until they got one or many of their own.

Which leads me to wonder why nobody offered any cheese to go with my whine-ing... :bigrofl:

I was purposefully driving along about 150 miles away from home this weekend, made a few stops and pulled into a gas station.,only to find I was being followed. To my amazement this is what I saw...

Vehicle Car Wheel Tire Automotive design
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Car Vehicle

Somewhere along the way, somebody took my money and crammed my trailer with stuff !!!

Attachments

#15 ·
What is properly? ...

I have a 1970 Wheel Horse Electro12 that has the original engine, runs like a top, and shows every bit of it's 43 years.
I think the emphasis is on "properly" as opposed to just a spray bomb and a new seat. I think most of us can appreciate one that has been cared for in it's work clothes... I actually prefer then that way too.

Is it a 600 or a 900 Bolens?
That's the first thing I thought. Hood looks like bolens to me... but there is a yellow blade or something behind it.

All I have to say is if you have that trailer full for only $150 then you are doing alright my friend.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
I gotta look back through some old threads to remember which member told me about some days ya get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you. Tom LGT, be advised there's one less round hood in your neck of the woods! And Taylor, I feel like spreading a cott in the shed tonight cause I'm still giddy after this haul. While the pot still simmers, Some may know that I've been in search of...for quite a while...everyday...several times a day for an elusive roundhood, The guesses that just came in, I guess would've suited me fine. Either they've appeared overpriced, out of my range of 'normal' travel, snatched up within hours of ad posting or so badly treated that it'd be like wakin the dead. But This time, This weekend, was all MINE !

Ladies and gentlemen of all ages, monkeys elephants and reptiles, with no further delay., The cookie goes to our own TD&H as I introduce to youz, my newest paws and star of my Bolens Trifecta...:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Tire Bumper
mower deck and..​
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Wood Drum

Attachments

#18 ·
If you feel that bad about it and want your $150 back, I'm sure you could find one or 15 people on here that would be happy to refund your money...

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you feel that bad about it and want your $150 back, I'm sure you could find one or 15 people on here that would be happy to refund your money...
Shall I quote Charton Heston also?

(NoMore Gts refers to running out of space here in the city)​
650, 1050,900

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.