#1 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,294 Thanks
  • 2,331 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 10:22 PM

The gears in my 10xl are pretty noisy especially in reverse.It has a 4 speed peerless transaxle in it.Reverse sounds very graunchy (can't think of a better word for it) and all the other gears whine pretty loud.It had a good bit of water and rust and sludge in it when I drained it.I flushed it twice with diesel fuel and changed the lube twice.It called for 30wt motor oil but I put 80/90 gear oil in the last time.It's staying clean but I think the Diff may have been hurt.It's not skipping but it does feel like it's dragging quite a bit in reverse.

Anyway I really don't like how low it's geared to begin with.The pulley on the transaxle is smaller than one on a JD 100-200 series tractor has but it's alot slower than a JD transaxle.They must be geared a bit higher internally.

Could it be possible to put a transaxle in it out of a JD112? They look to be identical but I'm not 100% sure.

I also like the 5 lug hubs on the JD peerless 4 speed over the 3 lug on the 10XL.And I know that the JD transaxle that I can get is in good condition and it's really quiet compared to the 1 I have in it.

The engine is the best running Tecumseh engines I've ever had and I really like this old tractors size and the grill and full round fenders on it is classy.

Edited by EricFromPa, August 04, 2013 - 10:23 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 10:28 PM

Eric I don't see why a JD 112 axle wouldn't work. As long as the input and brake are on the same side as what you have now it should be fine.

If you had a lot of water and junk in your trans, some times flushing just isn't enough. You could always tear it apart after you do the axle swap this way you'll have a spare.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,294 Thanks
  • 2,331 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 10:43 PM

The drum brake is on the same side and the input shaft is on the same side on both tractors.I will have to swap the pulleys because the JD has a slightly bigger pulley and the offset is different.

I noticed that the tabs on the axle tubes look identical in size and placement but I'm not sure about the top mount.I know that the JD shifter will have to be swapped over and the brake mount plate and possibly the brake drum.I'm just hoping that the axle tubes are the same so I don't have to try to pull the hubs to swap out the tubes.

Wish I had 1 of each to sit beside each other so I could properly measure or even just to eyeball them together.

Edited by EricFromPa, August 04, 2013 - 10:46 PM.

#4 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 10:46 PM

The drum brake is on the same side and the input shaft is on the same side on both tractors.I will have to swap the pulleys because the JD has a slightly bigger pulley and the offset is different.

I noticed that the tabs on the axle tubes look identical in size and placement but I'm not sure about the top mount.I know that the JD shifter will have to be swapped over and the brake mount plate and possibly the brake drum.I'm just hoping that the axle tubes are the same so I don't have to try to pull the hubs to swap out the tubes.

I know the Peerless 2300 in my Ford, Jacobsen and my MF12H all have the same tubes, even the bearings are the same.

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,294 Thanks
  • 2,331 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 11:05 PM

Thanks Chris.

I'll go up and see how much he's gona soak me for the transaxle.

Just thought of another thing that may be diferent.I THINK the JD has a 2,2 1/2 inch offset on the hubs.My hubs are flush with the axles.

Bla maybe he'll get rid of the AGs on the JD with it.lol

• chris m said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 05:54 AM

Eric, I think there is a Peerless transmission manual in the manuals section. There may be info in there that will tell you more about a given model number of transmission. I think the model no. is stamped on the casting of each transmission. 

#7 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 02:49 PM

If you are interested I have a Sears  st10 made by Mauuray that has a 5 speed peerless transaxel in it. If you want the transaxle I will give it to you because I am most likely going to scrap most of this tractor.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0466.JPG

#8 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,158 Thanks
  • 1,161 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 05:21 PM

I do not know much about peerless transmissions.I can not find many parts list for them.I do have a good assortment of NOS peerless parts .If   youcan find part numbers for your transmission I couldpossibly help you out