• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 162 Thanks
  • 216 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 06:26 PM

I am kicking around the idea of converting my closed side 165 to fully hydraulic steering when I go through the front end.  I love the tractor, it mows awesome, and I just rebuilt the K341.  The only thing I fault is it steers like a truck.  I know the wear in the front is some of the cause, but I don't think it will be much better effort wise when tight.  Does the knowledge base here think the hydro has enough pressure and capacity to run steering?  I am thinking full hydraulic steering, orbital valve, cylinder, and hoses with no mechanical steering connection, like modern compacts are run.  Looking for any and all input, I have no experience putting together a hydraulic steering system, but the concept seems doable.  Seems like I could just tap off the hydraulic connection that would have been used for remotes.  My main concern is reserve capacity of the current hydro.  Thanks.

• farmer john said thank you

#2 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 07:08 PM

I have three of these tractors. One with hydro steering. If your not happy with your 165 steering, it's probably because the grease in the steering box has turned to tar. I would dis-assemble the whole steering system clean and lube it before I would start anew!

But, my Jacobsen 53500 does have hydraulic power steering, run off the hydro.

Joe

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 07:21 PM

I've added power steering to 2....or is it 3 GT's with power coming from the hydro charge/lift pump on the hydro.  PLENTY of pressure.

#4 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 07:53 PM

Not an issue. That is how I did it on my LGT 165 . it makes that rig what it ain't !!!!!! Especially with the snowblower on it!!

#5 farmer john ONLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 869 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 09:22 PM

i was cussing today while cutting the lawn, i had posted a forum today about cutting my lawn or haying because i had not done it in 3 weeks, not lazy, just a bad back and dislocated shoulder, boy i felt every bump in that lawn and will make sure it gets a good rolling next year, but i have a ton of trees and bushes and ended up in them a few times not being able to hold the wheel and pull it through the turns, thought power steering was for loader tractors, women and old men, well i'm one of them now ha ha!!! but boy does my shoulder hurt now, and power steering would be a good fit, olcowhand has done a couple and i pm'd him for some insight, but as a second thought did anyone make a gt with power steering? and now that i am typing this i suddenly realize that my toro gtm / hesston front runner has power steering, well duh!!! having another seniors moment, i really am getting old or i have too many tractors. but i would still like to convert one of my toros 269h to power steering, i think or maybe i'm just confused. thanks all, farmer john

Edited by farmer john, August 04, 2013 - 09:48 PM.

#6 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • 162 Thanks
  • 216 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 06:06 AM

Not an issue. That is how I did it on my LGT 165 . it makes that rig what it ain't !!!!!! Especially with the snowblower on it!!

Did you have a build thread for your hydraulic steering conversion?  I would be interested to know what parts you used and sources of those parts.  Thanks.

#7 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 10:52 AM

I did , but GTT wasn't born yet when I did it.  It is over at MTF someplace in the Ford section . Just search for topics under skyrydr2 . They should come up .

EDIT: here is the link to the thread . 

http://www.mytractor...t=107360&page=2

Edited by skyrydr2, August 05, 2013 - 10:59 AM.

#8 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • 162 Thanks
  • 216 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 11:01 AM

Might actually get to make some headway on this.  New parts are prohibitively expensive.  Talked to a farmer friend of mine, said he had a combine and at least one tractor with steering valves in the family salvage.  Said I could take what I needed if I removed it and braved the critters.