• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 onan302 OFFLINE  

onan302

• Member No: 1006
  • 4 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted November 20, 2010 - 09:23 PM

Okay, so I have two Kohler 301A's, one from a cub 127, and one from a cub 128. I want to rebuild one of them but I still havent decided which block to use. But.... i have noticed the end of the crankshaft where the flywheel goes on and the drive hub attaches are different from one another.... The crank from the 128 has internal threads where you use a bolt to attach the drive hub, as the crank from the 127 is externally threaded, where it uses a nut to attach the drive hub. does anyone know why they're are different?Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,116 posts

Posted November 20, 2010 - 11:08 PM

Are the spec numbers from both engines the same?If not that would be the reason.Also if the engines were made different years it would of just been a change made by kohler.

#3 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 08:19 AM

The Kohlers in my Fords have an electric clutch on the front of them and driveshaft off the back. On the clutch end, it has the internal threads, not sure if its tapered, dont think so........Anyways, it all depends on what you are planning on mounting on the ends, be it clutches, pulleys, yokes etc........They were machined differently for different applications. You need to use the one that matches your tractors needs.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 08:39 AM

Likely the male threaded crank is an earlier model. I'd bet Kohler changed the later cranks to internal female threads due to earlier cranks breaking off when torquing down the flywheel nut. I had one break off & I was not happy! Thing is, it broke off when I used a flywheel puller. When I lightly tapped the puller, the threaded end of crank fell off. I welded it back on & it's still running today on my Lincoln Weldanpower 150. That was about 10yrs ago....no telling how old the welder is.

#5 onan302 OFFLINE  

onan302

• Member No: 1006
  • 4 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 02:10 PM

Thats what i thought but i wasnt sure! thanks a bunch guys! i was also looking to convert one of these engines to use an electric starter, instead of the starter/generator, so i am looking for a 9 1/2 flywheel for my k301 with teeth for the electric starter.

#6 Grumpy OFFLINE  

Grumpy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 440
  • 642 Thanks
  • 578 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 03:12 PM

Sometimes the 5/8-18 threaded part gets damaged. The fix is to put the crank in a lathe face off all the stud then drill & tap the end of the crank 3/8-24