3 replies to this topic

#1 Rocking416 OFFLINE  

Rocking416

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1546
  • 76 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 03:36 PM

I have a john deere LX178.  with kawasaki FD440V ( Vtwin )   Only one coil will fire,  if i switch the coils  still just the one side will fire.   so i know the coils and resistors are good.  i am thinking pick up coils?   any help would be appreciated.

• JRJ said thank you

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 04:19 PM

It would almost have to be a pickup coil, or break in a wire on that side.  Only way to know for sure is to switch out the pickups.

#3 Rocking416 OFFLINE  

Rocking416

Tractorholic

• 76 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 06:25 PM

Just so everyone knows.  It was the Ignitor box causing the problem

• Alc said thank you

#4 Rocking416 OFFLINE  

Rocking416

Tractorholic

• 76 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 07:25 PM

This is what it came down to.   I had a weak poor running engine.  i pulled the spark plug wire on left side the engine would STOP.  If i pulled the spark plug wire on the right i noticed no differnce at all.  So first i pulled to valve cover to make sure i did not have bent push rod or broken rocker arm.  Cranked the engine over and watched the valve train work.  Next i switched ignition coils.  By switching the ignition coils did two things. Tested the suspected bad coil and comfirmed that it was isolated to the right side.  next i measured Ohms of the pickup coils.  Then i spun the engine over and set my voltmeter to AC scale and measured the AC current from the pick up coils.  Baiscly i made sure the ohms and AC voltage was the same or very close.   It ended up being the ignitor box.  i paid dearly for the ignitor box  but also learned how to diagnose a more complex ignition system.  and i hope this post helps somone else do the same. 

Attached Thumbnails

• FD440V-AS02_WW_6.gif
  • DSC00257.JPG
  • DSC00256.JPG

Edited by Rocking416, September 14, 2013 - 07:33 PM.