#1 MF10Ryan OFFLINE  

MF10Ryan

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 7917
  • 244 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 09:48 PM

My Grandma, Grandpa, Dad and I went to the French Creek Archaeological Society's 2013 show today. When you get there, there is so many things to go look at,
photo(56).JPG photo(58).JPG photo(57).JPG
but the first thing I wanted to do was go back in the corner and knap... and no that's not a typo Back in the corner are a bunch of guys who take raw pieces of flint and shape them into knives, spears, scrapers and arrowheads. I was lucky enough to sit in with the guys again this year and show them I'd been practicing.
photo(24).JPG photo(26).JPG photo(43).JPG photo(61).JPG photo(60).JPG
I made a few small Arrow Heads, (what most people think of when you say "Arrow Head" are actually Knives, Spears or dart points)
photo(42).JPG
Then we went outside to try the at'-latl. The at'-latl (aht-lahtl) is an ancient hunting tool that allows the user to throw At'-latl Darts, AKA spears, further, faster, and more accurately. The world record currently for distance is just shy of 860 ft.
photo(8) - Copy.JPG photo(11) - Copy.JPG photo(10) - Copy.JPG photo(15) - Copy.JPG photo(16) - Copy.JPG
Note the Dart actually has a bend in it as it leaves the at'-latl. This works like a propulsion source and causes acceleration after it leaves the at'-latl.
Then we went back inside to look at the exhibits and for sale items. Wow Doesn't do it justice.
photo(20).JPG photo(22).JPG photo.JPG photo(59).JPG photo(23).JPG photo(27).JPG photo(28).JPG photo(29).JPG photo(29).JPG photo(30).JPG photo(31).JPG photo(1) - Copy.JPG photo(3) - Copy.JPG photo(4) - Copy.JPG photo(5) - Copy.JPG photo(6) - Copy.JPG photo(41).JPG photo(40).JPG photo(38).JPG photo(37).JPG photo(34).JPG photo(33).JPG photo(32).JPG

These shows are a lot of fun and there is a lot of work that goes into them. If you get a chance and there is one near you, be sure to go. There is a lot to be learned.

Attached Thumbnails

• photo(36).JPG
  • photo(55).JPG

Edited by MH81, August 05, 2013 - 12:02 PM.

• JDBrian, chris m, jd.rasentrac and 2 others have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 10:04 PM

Hmmmm! Kinda different type show to see!  Strange a young fella like yourself would have interest. Neat you wanna join right in and try it.  One can always use more knowledge of historical items I guess.

• MH81, MF10Ryan and oldedeeres have said thanks

#3 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 10:05 PM

Are you sure you saw some things older than your Dad today? :bigrofl: ( sorry I had to Alan) :D

I know you said WOW doesn't do it all justice but WOW....! That looks like it was a great place to go! Thanks for sharing it all with us!

You did a great job on the arrow heads too! :thumbs:

• MH81, MF10Ryan and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 10:14 PM

Chris, I am not that old. (And Ryan, you're gonna pay LOL)

Are you sure you saw some things older than your Dad today? :bigrofl: ( sorry I had to Alan) :D

I know you said WOW doesn't do it all justice but WOW....! That looks like it was a great place to go! Thanks for sharing it all with us!

You did a great job on the arrow heads too! :thumbs:

Hmmmm! Kinda different type show to see!  Strange a young fella like yourself would have interest. Neat you wanna join right in and try it.  One can always use more knowledge of historical items I guess.

He is getting into some pretty neat things. Some of this stuff, he is so far past anything I ever learned, it's amazing. Soon the student will be teaching, I'm afraid.
  • MF10Ryan, chris m and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 10:36 PM

Are you sure you saw some things older than your Dad today? :bigrofl:

He said Grandma and Grandpa were there!  :D

• MH81, MF10Ryan and chris m have said thanks

#6 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 10:39 PM

I joke and I might be the same age or older?? When my Dad turned 40 I said " Man Dad your old!" I'm 43 now and can see now that he wasn't that old! (Or I'm saying that cause I am old now) :D

• MF10Ryan said thank you

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 10:42 PM

Oh, you're quick Doug... :rolling:  

Gotta remember to pass that along.  :thumbs:

I joke and I might be the same age or older?? When my Dad turned 40 I said " Man Dad your old!" I'm 43 now and can see now that he wasn't that old! (Or I'm saying that cause I am old now) :D

Coming up on 43 myself Chris, eyesight is starting... 

• MF10Ryan and chris m have said thanks

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 10:48 PM

Chris, old is on a progressive scale It is at least 30 yrs more than your current age.
I am 63 sol old is at least 93. But yeah I tought old was 5o when i was 18,
  • MF10Ryan, chris m and oldedeeres have said thanks

#9 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 10:50 PM

I'll get this thread back on track LOL. Sorry!

After looking at the pictures ( a few times already) I'm hoping we have something like this around my area! I would love to take my Dad to a place like that!

And Ryan it is great to see you taking an interest in stuff like this! And don't forget to post about anything else cool that you are into! Again thanks for sharing!

• oldedeeres said thank you

#10 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 12:51 AM

Way to go, Ryan! Both of us Olde Deeres are into that kind of thing and have done some flint knapping. Even used a flint knife we found (while looking for projectile points) to skin a deer I shot. It worked perfectly after I mastered the technique, but talk about hand cramps, holding that little piece of flint in a death grip and slicing away! Have you found any points around where you live? Back in the day we could spot them from the J.D. "R" while cultivating the fields. One of the beauties of no cab on the tractor. BTW, you are the first fellow I've met who knew what an at'-latl was.
  • MH81 and MF10Ryan have said thanks

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 06:31 AM

Ryan, nice report on a really interesting and unique show but  "Older than your Dad" is not that old. I have shirts older than him!  

• oldedeeres said thank you

#12 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 06:46 AM

Fascinating Ryan! I wish there was something like that around here. Knapping is one of those things that starts better with some personal instruction.

• MH81 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#13 MF10Ryan OFFLINE  

MF10Ryan

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 7917
  • 244 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 12:23 PM

Way to go, Ryan! Both of us Olde Deeres are into that kind of thing and have done some flint knapping. Even used a flint knife we found (while looking for projectile points) to skin a deer I shot. It worked perfectly after I mastered the technique, but talk about hand cramps, holding that little piece of flint in a death grip and slicing away! Have you found any points around where you live? Back in the day we could spot them from the J.D. "R" while cultivating the fields. One of the beauties of no cab on the tractor. BTW, you are the first fellow I've met who knew what an at'-latl was.

Well I keep telling people that I'm NOT one of my generation! :D I listen basically from the beatles to AC/DC! Anyways, back on topic here, I just don't know how I have a fascination for this stuff but it just appeals to me! :D
  • chris m and oldedeeres have said thanks

#14 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 12:29 PM

How many of you folks find arrow/spear heads on your property? I found a couple in S. Virginia last winter. They were bird points made of milky quartz.

#15 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 11:17 PM

Some scientific theories state that the "atlatle" caused the extinction of mammoth and other large species in N. America.  It made big animals fast food for the local human inhabitants.

I knew a guy that used to knapp points for money he got from tour guides who would "salt" grounds in the back country.  Made some pretty good "extra income" at it.  As the tour cars would leave a spot the drivers would "distribute" a handfull for the next bunch to "find".  This also added to the tour drivers income as finders were always the best tippers. 

• MH81 and LilysDad have said thanks