• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 08:21 PM

About two weeks ago, I was using the '75 1614 PK to mow at neighbor Tessie's, since the deck belt on the 312-8 WH had broken, and I had not gotten another yet. While mowing, rollers on the back caught on something sticking out of the ground. I have used this tractor to mow over there many times and never had a problem, so why it caught that time, I don't know! It ended up ripping the rollers right off of the mower deck, just about ripped the hangers out of the shell, and tweaked the shell around pretty good. Also, once the rollers ripped off, the deck fell on the ground and the front of the shell was pushed in; when it pushed in it caused the front to hit one of the blades and put a gash in it about 3 inches long.

A few days ago, the new belt arrived for the 312-8 WH. Yesterday, I put it on. With the WH back in service, I started to mow over at neighbor Tessie's again. I have been mowing over there for over 2 years and have always gone over the cover for one of the oil tanks without any problems. I don't know what made this time any different, but I hit it, and I hit it hard! I have not mowed over there since I messed up the mower deck for the '75 1614 PK, so the grass was pretty high. Since the grass was so high, I had raised the mower deck up two cut settings, so it was on the highest setting.

Here is the oil tank cover, you can see I pulledit up pretty good when I hit it.

F851DC7E-1E20-414B-879F-8A27DE88044F-211

After I hit it, I heard a couple slams, then a loud squeal of the belt slipping. I just disengaged the deck, and drove home... I did not even want to see the damage, as I knew it would be bad. When I got home, I took the deck off and the first thing I noticed is that it ripped one of the hanger brackets out of the shell.

78F60EA0-82E9-477E-97DB-EC04AD940440-211

Next, I turned it over. I was astonished at how far in it had bent! I was only in second gear!

B429E28D-14FE-4A8C-BA4B-77EBEF08C85F-211

The entire deck has a bit of an arc to it now, so I am not sure what I am going to do. I am sure that I could repair both of the decks, but I am not sure if it is worth it or not. They are both pretty messed up. The worst part is that I don't know why I have been hitting things that I normally have plenty of room to get over!

• oldedeeres said thank you

#2 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 871 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 08:44 PM

boy i would be ticked and my neighbour the first time and really ticked at myself for the second, you shoud sell me your wheel horses since you dont have a deck, all kidding aside you are lucky not to have injured yourself hitting something that hard i have heard some horror stories of injuries from shattered blades and flying steel, the good new is that the deck for that machine seems fairly abundant and reasonably priced, it might be a good idea to buy some markers and some floresent paint, play safe

#3 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 09:18 PM

Sorry to see and here about the damage to your decks!!! I'm just glad you didn't get hurt!! (no more mowing for you Mr! :poke:)

I wonder if the ground has just settled form all the rain we have been getting this year?? Do you have yet another back up mower?

#4 Dave Central NY OFFLINE  

Dave Central NY
  • Member No: 27835
  • 106 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 09:59 PM

I have 3 or 4 PK mower  decks out back , I'll post some pictures as soon as I can. Maybe you can use one of them.

I'm about 3 hours northwest of Wallkill.  I plan to come to Neversink/Grahamsvile  to the show they have there if nothing prevents me.  Do you go to that show?

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 10:26 PM

Wow, sorry to hear about this Ryan.  That's a bummer.

You might repair one of those decks and use it for a "Beater" deck (where you won't feel bad if you do Bump something again.)

I have a cover in my yard too.  Hit it for the first time in years last year, thankfully... no major damage, but I wanted to :wallbanging: when I figured out why... low air pressure on both right tires.

#6 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 11:50 PM

Ground  water may have floated the cover up and off

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,633 Thanks
  • 7,671 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 06:56 AM

If I were you, I would fix the deck and then go mow over the cover again, just to make sure what I thought happened, really happened!

That just shouldn't have happened!!!      4chsmu1.gif

Edited by LilysDad, August 04, 2013 - 06:59 AM.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 07:24 AM

Sorry to hear of all the damage! I think you can fix that deck shown above. Good ol' BFH!

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 11:12 AM

I have complete faith in you repairing this deck Ryan, but nice to have Dave's deck offer, just in case!

#10 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 08:22 PM

I looked on Craigslist, and I think I may have found another WH deck a little over an hour away for $75. The Guy did not have a phone number listed in his ad, so I emailed him and told him to call me. Hopefully He does.

Sorry to see and here about the damage to your decks!!! I'm just glad you didn't get hurt!! (no more mowing for you Mr! :poke:)

I wonder if the ground has just settled form all the rain we have been getting this year?? Do you have yet another back up mower?

Well, the '75 1614 PK was usually my backup mower. As of right now, I do not have a tractor that I can use to mow! Luckily, Neighbor Herby is always more then happy to let me borrow his tractor when I need it. His tractor is only a LT, but it does leave a very nice cut!

I have 3 or 4 PK mower  decks out back , I'll post some pictures as soon as I can. Maybe you can use one of them.

I'm about 3 hours northwest of Wallkill.  I plan to come to Neversink/Grahamsvile  to the show they have there if nothing prevents me.  Do you go to that show?

I am not sure where the show is exactly, but that is about an hour away. I do not go to that show, but if you give me a fair price on a mower deck there is a good chance I would show up!

Wow, sorry to hear about this Ryan.  That's a bummer.

You might repair one of those decks and use it for a "Beater" deck (where you won't feel bad if you do Bump something again.)

I have a cover in my yard too.  Hit it for the first time in years last year, thankfully... no major damage, but I wanted to :wallbanging: when I figured out why... low air pressure on both right tires.

Actually, youmay be onto something. The front left tire has a leak, takes about 3 days to empty out. The other day when I worked on it, I filled it up. Then yesterday when I went to mow I saw it was a little low, but not to bad so I just let it be. Maybe that is what caused it? Although, I did have the cut height up two clicks.

• MH81 said thank you

#11 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 12:43 PM

Ok guys, I got the hanger bracket welded back on. I shot it with some paint to keep it from rusting.

007D4C6D-0B6A-4200-9C18-C0BBC3D7D533-233

A few good hits with a 4 pound hammer straightened out the front of the deck. It is no where near close to perfect, but it is still pretty straight. You can also see where I welded the bracket on the underside.

1677C050-AA70-4FAF-A93C-7E93D263BA7C-233

• Alc said thank you

#12 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 01:18 PM

As long as your spindles are in alignment and you don't end up with an uneven cut... you can straighten and weld and bend the rest of the deck as much as you feel like and it will work well.

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 01:49 PM

I just tested it out. It does not cut any worse then it did before... so I think the repairs are sufficient. :thumbs:

• MH81, Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 04:45 PM

I just tested it out. It does not cut any worse then it did before... so I think the repairs are sufficient. :thumbs:

Told ya!  I had faith!

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 09:41 PM

Looks Good enough from here!

Glad the BAH and the welder was enough to "convince" it to work right.