• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 11:26 PM

You can find deals at Miller tire.com or Ebay, I know there are some other places some of our members get them but I can't remember off hand.

• Oppie said thank you

#17 Oppie OFFLINE  

Oppie
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 41798
  • 30 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 11:38 PM

Oh ok. They are more of a turf tire then. What would be a good ag tire to get? This is my first garden tractor, so I don't know a whole lot yet.

Edited by Oppie, August 03, 2013 - 11:39 PM.

#18 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 11:57 PM

You have come to the right place for learning more about your GT. I don't think there is a day that goes by that I don't learn something new about GT's. And what is even better is the fact that no one here will treat you any different for not knowing something, So on that note just remember there is no such thing as a dumb question! So never be afraid to ask for our help!

Onto the tires. If you want to get another set of turfs, Carlisle makes a lot of great tires. They even make AG's ( Tru Power is a nice one) if you wanted to go that route.

There are so many different types of tires out there today, a lot of it is going to be what you are willing to spend and what tire looks and seems the best for what you are going to do with your Gt.

We even have a few members that are using ATV tires vs AG tires now and they seem to like them.

If you go to Ebay or miller tire. just type in your tire size and take a look at all the options. Your tires are probably 12 x 10.5 x 12?

If you look at the picture of my Jacobsen with the AG's (orange one) those are cheap tires (Deestone) I got them from Ebay and I think I paid around $120 for both. I would rather have gotten a nice set of Carlisles Tru Power AG's but they where a lot more money.

Well I hope this helps some,and what ever you decide good luck!

• Oppie said thank you

#19 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 01:23 AM

Great looking tractor you've got their. I'm pretty new to the site also,and their's a great bunch of people on here more than willing to help with our questions....... I ask quiet a few myself. Enjoy your seat time now, look's like ya got a pretty eager replacement waiting for the go ahead in the back ground   :D

• Oppie said thank you

#20 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,317 Thanks
  • 2,412 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 04:35 AM

Your tires are probably 12 x 10.5 x 12?

If you look at the picture of my Jacobsen with the AG's (orange one) those are cheap tires (Deestone) I got them from Ebay and I think I paid around $120 for both. I would rather have gotten a nice set of Carlisles Tru Power AG's but they where a lot more money.

Well I hope this helps some,and what ever you decide good luck

I think Chris meant to write '23x10.50x12'

• chris m and Oppie have said thanks

#21 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 06:37 AM

I had Tru Power AGs on a big JD GT I had and they are a good tire. Not as aggressive as some AG's which makes them a bit easier on your lawn than tires with really big lugs. 

• Oppie said thank you

#22 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,251 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 08:21 AM

Oh ok. They are more of a turf tire then. What would be a good ag tire to get? This is my first garden tractor, so I don't know a whole lot yet.

What is the original tire size?
I bought a set for Ryan (my kid) at a place called Greater Cleveland Tire. Tires we needed were 10.5 wide, 12 rim, 23 overall height and were very reasonable, but yours may be bigger/more expensive.

The Deestone 10.5 right now is $108 a pair, the 12" wide is $170
They are selling duro brand for 130 a pair for 10.5

There are as many tire brands as opinions on what you should buy. I was hesitant when I bought Ryan's, but haven't been disappointed at all. The guy over there assured me they are a good working tire, but if I was planning on pulling competitively. He would suggest something else.

A third option is a set of chains, but it's not considered the safest alternative with a tiller just in case one comes loose and gets wrapped into the tiller. I have an Allis with a tiller that I run chains on and it makes the situation manageable, I just check them often for issues and accept the possibility and risk of using them.
  • Oppie said thank you

#23 Oppie OFFLINE  

Oppie
  • Contributor
  • 30 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 10:13 AM

The tires I have are fire stone traction turf and garden 23x8.50-12.

#24 MF10Ryan OFFLINE  

MF10Ryan

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 7917
  • 244 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 10:30 AM

The 23-10.5-12 deestones are a good fit for those rims... The 10.5's are actually 9.75 Tread.
It's what we have on mine and they are just about right.

(repeating what Dad told me to say... Blame him if he's wrong LOL )

Edited by MF10Ryan, August 04, 2013 - 10:32 AM.

• Oppie said thank you

#25 Oppie OFFLINE  

Oppie
  • Contributor
  • 30 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 11:27 AM

I'm really liking the look of those Carlisle tru power. I think they would look good on it. My yard isn't very friendly terrain. I'm not too worried about tearing up the yard any, because if I get my way, the whole thing will be garden over the next few years lol.

#26 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,317 Thanks
  • 2,412 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 05:39 PM

because if I get my way, the whole thing will be garden over the next few years lol.

now that's a great idea!!!!

• Oppie said thank you

#27 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 08:13 PM

Great looking Ford and tiller.  Looks a lot like dad's Minnie Moline tiller.  It sure did a great job.

• Oppie said thank you

#28 yousesteers OFFLINE  

yousesteers
  • Member No: 43831
  • 18 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 06:54 PM

not sure exactly what it is, but it has something to do with the electric lift thingamajig.

That is the motor for the electric lift does the tiller lift off that or by hand. I got a Moline 114 Hydro I am working on right now which is basically the same tractor in yellow instead of blue. i have been looking for some attachments.

• Oppie said thank you

#29 Oppie OFFLINE  

Oppie
  • Contributor
  • 30 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 06:37 PM

That is the motor for the electric lift does the tiller lift off that or by hand. I got a Moline 114 Hydro I am working on right now which is basically the same tractor in yellow instead of blue. i have been looking for some attachments.

I have a 2 stage 36" ford snow thrower attachment that is mostly complete.  its a bit far away from you though. The tiller lifts off of that electric lift. sometimes it has some troubles so i have to reach back and give it a hand.

btw, you have any pictures posted yet?

Edited by Oppie, August 13, 2013 - 07:03 PM.

#30 Oppie OFFLINE  

Oppie
  • Contributor
  • 30 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 06:57 PM

Another photo.

gallery_41798_510_1229057.jpg

the PO made the bracket on the front with the winch on it, to help with the load distribution. im pretty sure the cart was made by someone, possibly the PO.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ford 140, tiller