• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,268 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted November 20, 2010 - 11:35 PM

If there is a Mobile Home sales place nearby, you might talk to them... A lot of those guys haul off the old Homes & strip them down.

#17 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 08:31 AM

I have a wood stove in my shop, do paint in there, just let the fire die down first! Try not to use hardener when painting inside (nasty stuff)!!!!!

Cover things with plastic tarps. ~~ grnspot110

#18 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 08:46 AM

Up here is Wisconsin my shop hasn't been used much in the dead of winter unless something really has to be fixed. My garage is 30x40 with 10 foot sidewalls and no ceiling, just the tin roof. I built a 12x14 well insulated work room with electric heat in the far corner of the garage and hope to be able to work on some projects through the winter but don't think I will be painting in there. I usually wait untill March or so when it does get a bit warmer out and fire up the LP house furnace I have in the garage to get the parts and paint warm enough to use and cure. I have only used spray cans for my paint jobs so far but may look into getting a high volume, low pressure gun. They seem to be the clear ticket, and I know several guys who really like to use them.

#19 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 08:56 AM

Yes those H.V.L.P. guns are great.I have one and find I use less paint with it,and there is a lot less over spray dust hanging in the air afterwards.

#20 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 09:09 AM

Yes those H.V.L.P. guns are great.I have one and find I use less paint with it,and there is a lot less over spray dust hanging in the air afterwards.

Before I got my HVLP gun, everything in my shop ended up a light shade of whatever I was spraying. Now with the HVLP, hardly any overspray at all, & then only right next to whatever I'm spraying.

#21 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 09:21 AM

Before I got my HVLP gun, everything in my shop ended up a light shade of whatever I was spraying. Now with the HVLP, hardly any overspray at all, & then only right next to whatever I'm spraying.

Yea, I bought a HVLP gun last year after I got my big compressor, but I have yet to use it.

#22 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted November 24, 2010 - 04:03 PM

My barn/shop's walls are insulated but I haven't gotten to the ceiling yet so heating it is not feasible at this time...

Not to de-rail but what does everyone use for an HVLP gun?

#23 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 24, 2010 - 05:55 PM

...Not to de-rail but what does everyone use for an HVLP gun?

I was just going to ask the same question LOL. I have a couple of older spray guns that work well, but I get a lot of overspray. Do the HVLP guns use less paint as well as less overspray, or is it not a noticeable difference?

#24 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 24, 2010 - 06:03 PM

Steve,
The HVLP guns do tend to use less paint,and create less overspray. IMO there is a noticeable difference.I use a 3M brand gun at the moment,but there are a lot of good brands of guns.
  • caseguy said thank you

#25 mastifflawyer OFFLINE  

mastifflawyer

Tractorholic

• Member No: 261
  • 43 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted November 24, 2010 - 06:37 PM

There is substantial less overspray with HVLP guns. I currently use a Razor Sharpe by Graco Gun for primer. For Color and Clear I use Sata guns. There are no better guns than Sata. That said, preparation is the most important part of any paint job. The best gun in the world cannot make up for poor or sloppy prep.

I would also suggest that you use a self etching primer on all bare metal, unless you plan to use an epoxy based paint. SE Primer is often not compatable with epoxy.

I also cannot say enough about the 3M PPS (Paint Preparation System). There is no easier way to mix, spray, and clean up. Take a look on YouTube for videos of the system.
  • caseguy and Alc have said thanks

#26 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted November 25, 2010 - 01:17 AM

This is a very timely thread for me as I am considering a little painting in the garage this winter and have been researching some lower priced HVLP models. I actually received a flyer for Harbor Freight and have looked around for reviews and have found that people seem to like their "true" HVLP model, not necessarily the one advertised as HVLP but is really only a gravity feed high pressure sprayer. Be sure to look up the working pressures to tell the difference. I actually picked up a flyer from my local NAPA today and they have an ATD branded sprayer for less than HF with aluminum canisters instead of the plastic ones HF uses. The HF plastic canisters seem to be about the only thing complained about that I have found. I am hesitant to order from HF due to my past experiences but am surely considering the NAPA model. It's probably about the same Chinese thing anyway.

#27 Thomas OFFLINE  

Thomas

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1663
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted January 23, 2011 - 05:00 PM

Just painted horse in Gallary post today. Indiana it 4 degreeds today in AM. I heat with Kero in salamander. 45000 btu. I covered all especially my MF12 and Started heat. Had hood primed and wetsanded next to stove in house all night waiting till this morning. Wet floor down lightly and laid plastic sheeting on floor. brought hood in and tacked clothed it down and shot it.

#28 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 23, 2011 - 05:23 PM

I plan on trying to get some painting done this winter yet if all goes well. Will just have to keep the garage above 60 degrees and give the parts plenty of time to cure.

#29 lcorbin OFFLINE  

lcorbin

• Member No: 2558
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted April 04, 2011 - 03:23 PM

Typically paint in the basement if I can. Staining usually waits until I can open windows especially with the kids running around.

#30 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted April 04, 2011 - 04:06 PM

My garage is a drive-under the house affair. I do my real work in my barn which is detached from the house. The barn, as previously mentioned is un-heated as is the garage. However, the garage, since it is under the house is somewhat warm and my basement is heated. What I have done is remove the cars from the garage and close the door. After an hour or so, I paint my parts which have been in the heated basement, in the garage. Once painted, I move them to the basement again for drying. Kind of stinks up the joint but you have to do what you have to do!