tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted November 20, 2010 - 09:01 AM

If any one paints when it's cold? What is your set up? How do you heat the area. Do you isolate an area to keep the paint and dust from going everywhere?
Not being able to paint in the winter is the number one reason my projects generally sit all winter with no progress.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted November 20, 2010 - 09:09 AM

Yeah same with me. Once the cold sets in all my projects that need paint come to a stop.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 20, 2010 - 10:46 AM

I paint whenever it strikes me. I have a hanging propane furnace, so plenty of good heat. I take all parts to be painted (pre-prepped & ready for paint) into my home the night prior to painting to have them good & warm. Then on day of paint, I get the shop good & warm, then take the parts out. I get the shop heated very well, then shut down the furnace to prevent any danger of flash fire & start painting using a respirator. Using a Hi volume, Lo pressure paint gun makes overspray in the air a non-issue. Once paint is on & setting up, I fire the furnace back up to cure the paint. I'll set the thermostat to 60 to 65 degrees & let it run for 24hrs. Then I usually take the parts into the house to finish curing a few days. Never had a problem doing this way.

#4 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted November 20, 2010 - 11:35 AM

Sounds good, now I just need some way to heat my shop. If you don't mind me asking... where did you get your heater and what did it cost?

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 20, 2010 - 11:47 AM

I have an oil furnace out of a house in my shop.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 20, 2010 - 12:01 PM

Sounds good, now I just need some way to heat my shop. If you don't mind me asking... where did you get your heater and what did it cost?

furnace.jpg

It's a Trane 100,000btu propane heater. Got it at a school auction, or actually 2 of them. The other was a 200,000btu. As to price...you don't wanna hear that......$15 for BOTH! (yes, 1500 pennies) I almost fell over when I got the bid!

#7 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted November 20, 2010 - 01:00 PM

OMG, you find all the deals. Do you have idea what they normally go for? I guess I will have to start searching craigs list....

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 20, 2010 - 01:06 PM

OMG, you find all the deals. Do you have idea what they normally go for? I guess I will have to start searching craigs list....

baltimore all for sale / wanted classifieds "shop furnace" - craigslist

#9 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 20, 2010 - 03:03 PM

I'm going to try painting tomorrow, what I do is get the wood furnace going the day before (today) and run it non stop for 2 days.
Then the next day (tomorrow) set myself up to paint at the warmest time of the day 1 or 2 in the afternoon, open the doors and paint the parts then close the doors and let it dry, if warm enough I'll take the parts outside to spray then as soon as I'm done bring them inside to dry.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 20, 2010 - 04:20 PM

I was prepping D4-10 parts today, in hopes of shooting paint on before it turns cold here on Thanksgiving Day. I didn't remember this thing having so many more parts to paint red!!!!!!!
Painting masonry paint on my front porch tomorrow. Prepped that today too, but need to acid etch this evening still. I spray can painted my porch wrought iron posts & railings today too with satin black. All done in-between today's milking, and I'm butt tired. Heading to the parlor in a few minutes.

#11 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted November 20, 2010 - 08:10 PM

baltimore all for sale / wanted classifieds "shop furnace" - craigslist

I did not see anything on CL that looked like a good candidate. Any idea on the BTU rating I would need? I have about 700 sq ft with 12' ceilings. What sort of electrical hook up is required for the propane heater? I hope it's not 220v, I don't have room in my panel.

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 20, 2010 - 08:25 PM

I did not see anything on CL that looked like a good candidate. Any idea on the BTU rating I would need? I have about 700 sq ft with 12' ceilings. What sort of electrical hook up is required for the propane heater? I hope it's not 220v, I don't have room in my panel.

100,000btu would be more than plenty, especially if insulated. Any of size you would need will be 110V & run off a 15 amp breaker. Any furnace from a home or mobile home would work fine too. Around here I can pick up old furnaces for free at HVAC dealers. Most are still good, but homeowner's just upgraded. I used to have an 80,000btu mobile home furnace that I picked up for free, but when I found this hanging furnace, it opened up some room for me. I have a tiny shop, so space is a premium. You have enough room to just use a floor furnace. Check local HVAC dealers...you might get by very cheap!

#13 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted November 20, 2010 - 09:00 PM

100,000btu would be more than plenty, especially if insulated. Any of size you would need will be 110V & run off a 15 amp breaker. Any furnace from a home or mobile home would work fine too. Around here I can pick up old furnaces for free at HVAC dealers. Most are still good, but homeowner's just upgraded. I used to have an 80,000btu mobile home furnace that I picked up for free, but when I found this hanging furnace, it opened up some room for me. I have a tiny shop, so space is a premium. You have enough room to just use a floor furnace. Check local HVAC dealers...you might get by very cheap!

With my tall ceilings and not much floor space, a hanging unit like yours that runs on propane would be ideal. I actually spent most of today re-arranging my shop and recycling a couple of bathroom vanitys in my shop to clean things up and maximize my floor space.
Tomorrow I will be back to the bathroom remodel....:mecry:

#14 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 20, 2010 - 09:10 PM

One thing that will help is a ceiling fan or something to move the hot air up high down low.

#15 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted November 20, 2010 - 09:28 PM

One thing that will help is a ceiling fan or something to move the hot air up high down low.

I think I have a couple of ceiling fans around that I replaced in the house a couple of years ago. I should get around to that some day....
My goal for now is to get the garage insulated and some sort of panels up to cover the insulation. I dont want to mess with dry wall.