• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 20, 2010 - 07:30 PM

I've struggled with ways to deal with dust from my blast cabinet. Having eaten up 2 shop vacs I had to find a way that worked. I have finally found one too, so wanted to share it with you guys. It uses water as the filter and NO dust comes out of the shop vac exhaust, and filter is completely removed from vac too. Hose runs from the cabinet to the 5 gallon bucket. This is a dry media trap. Under the lid, where the hose from cabinet attaches, there is a 90 degree elbow to create a swirl which catches most all heavy blast media, but the debris goes up the center tube (about 4" lower than elbow) to the water trap. My water trap is a 15 gallon drum. The input PVC goes to within about 2" of barrel bottom. I put 3 to 5 gallons of water in this barrel. The shop vac hose fits snug into the threaded bung hole. I took the filter out of the vac because some water gets all the way into the vac, as the water slugs all the way to the top. If you use a small barrel with a removable top, then a baffle could be placed to help prevent water making it to the vac hose. After about an hour of blasting, I pour water that made it to the vac back into the barrel. When water gets too nasty (after like 20hrs of blasting), I just flush out the barrel & add fresh. In winter, adding a gallon of washer fluid will prevent freezing. Before I built this I would have dust coming out the vac exhaust & would sit it outside the door, but still dust would make it's way back in. Since putting this together, NO DUST problem at all & shop vac will last a very long time. The good part was I had everything I needed except for maybe $5 worth of PVC fittings. Our milk parlor chemicals come in 5 gallon buckets & 15 gallon drums.
DSC00075..jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00076..jpg

Edited by olcowhand, February 20, 2010 - 09:44 PM.

• tweidman, mjodrey and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#2 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted February 20, 2010 - 08:15 PM

Thanks for that tip. I might have to try and build one of those. Lately I have been leaving the hose disconnected from my cabinet and just dealing with not being able to see in my cabinet.
What media do you use?

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 20, 2010 - 08:29 PM

I use aluminum oxide. I've tried beads, but doesn't cut tough paint well. The alum ox lasts a long time too. I had to have a dust collection system. I'd "think" I had the part well blasted, then pull it out to see a mess. I looked at various dust systems, but they cost a LOT of money, so went with my own design. It hit me to build this after seeng the nasty water in my shop vac after pulling up floor spills. Saw how nasty the water was & realized water would be the simplest trap. Then I just started digging up components. My 1st system was same, but with two five gallon buckets. The water side would get all the water sucked out right away, so switched to the tall 15 gallon size.

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 20, 2010 - 08:36 PM

Lately I have been leaving the hose disconnected from my cabinet and just dealing with not being able to see in my cabinet.
What media do you use?

The dust in the air is not healthy for you, so till you get a system, please wear a mask of some sort. Outside air is going into cabinet, so dusty air has to be coming out. If using real sand, silica poisoning is with you for life...which can be shortened!

#5 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted February 20, 2010 - 10:44 PM

Don't worry, I always wear a mask, even with the vac hooked up. I also use aluminum oxide, I just picked up another 40lbs the other day.

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 27, 2010 - 05:18 PM

I've struggled with ways to deal with dust from my blast cabinet. Having eaten up 2 shop vacs I had to find a way that worked. I have finally found one too, so wanted to share it with you guys. It uses water as the filter and NO dust comes out of the shop vac exhaust, and filter is completely removed from vac too. Hose runs from the cabinet to the 5 gallon bucket. This is a dry media trap. Under the lid, where the hose from cabinet attaches, there is a 90 degree elbow to create a swirl which catches most all heavy blast media, but the debris goes up the center tube (about 4" lower than elbow) to the water trap. My water trap is a 15 gallon drum. The input PVC goes to within about 2" of barrel bottom. I put 3 to 5 gallons of water in this barrel. The shop vac hose fits snug into the threaded bung hole. I took the filter out of the vac because some water gets all the way into the vac, as the water slugs all the way to the top. If you use a small barrel with a removable top, then a baffle could be placed to help prevent water making it to the vac hose. After about an hour of blasting, I pour water that made it to the vac back into the barrel. When water gets too nasty (after like 20hrs of blasting), I just flush out the barrel & add fresh. In winter, adding a gallon of washer fluid will prevent freezing. Before I built this I would have dust coming out the vac exhaust & would sit it outside the door, but still dust would make it's way back in. Since putting this together, NO DUST problem at all & shop vac will last a very long time. The good part was I had everything I needed except for maybe $5 worth of PVC fittings. Our milk parlor chemicals come in 5 gallon buckets & 15 gallon drums.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]963[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]964[/ATTACH]

Thanks for that idea Daniel,I will have to try that.

#7 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 26, 2010 - 10:01 AM

Just saw this, and had to give it a bump! I have a larger blast cabinet with it's own fan system. I think I am going to make one for my set up. It should work the same with a forced air, not a vacuum if the output was plumbed out of the way.

#8 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted November 27, 2010 - 09:04 AM

Nice thinking! It reminds me of the oil-bath air filter my old VW had.
I'd bet that you could use a smaller vac, or a squirrel cage blower and loose less water.

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted November 27, 2010 - 09:10 AM

Just saw this, and had to give it a bump! I have a larger blast cabinet with it's own fan system. I think I am going to make one for my set up. It should work the same with a forced air, not a vacuum if the output was plumbed out of the way.

I would think it would work fine. I may go use my blaster some today. A bit cold for the electrolysis tank.

#10 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 28, 2010 - 03:43 PM

Yea, a little... I need to cut open a 55 gallon drum in my shop so that I can dunk the hood from that Massey. I am done with blasting for a little while!