#1 antiquetractors OFFLINE  

antiquetractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6720
  • 279 Thanks
  • 506 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 08:48 AM

If you're like me you are always looking for a cheaper way to do something. I've found that the 50lb bags of play sand that can be bought at any hardware store for around $5 a bag is great in a sand blaster. Couple things to do first. Make sure you get perfectly dry sand and filter it. I use just regular window screening to filter the tiny rocks that will clog the nozzle. Around here blasting media runs close to $40 a bag so with a little work you can save some money. Most of the bags I've bought have been dry and ready to use. Hope this helps someone.
  • Gtractor, metalwiz, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 08:50 AM

Used it myself, and you are so right, DO screen ir first or you'll be clogging constantly!  And when using sand for blast media, use a good form of respirator to prevent breathing any of the silica dust generated.  Nasty for the lungs & the damage can be VERY dangerous, and not reversible!!!!!!!!

• JD DANNELS and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 Oppie OFFLINE  

Oppie
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 41798
  • 30 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 09:30 AM

what sort of sand blaster do you use? would you be so kind as to recommend one for someone just getting their feet wet?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 10:13 AM

what sort of sand blaster do you use? would you be so kind as to recommend one for someone just getting their feet wet?

First off le me Welcome to GTtalk Oppie,   If you have any questions on how to navigate the site, click on the link at the bottom of my signature for some how-to Vids.

I don't do a lot of Sand blasting so I went cheap and bought this portable blaster  from HF.  The guys who get into the restoration part will be able to tell about some better blasters.  I mainly do soda blasting of the carburetors.

#5 antiquetractors OFFLINE  

antiquetractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 279 Thanks
  • 506 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 11:05 AM

I have the 110lb portable blaster from hf. It works great! I would recommend getting a brass nozzle. The ceramic nozzles wear out quickly.

Welcome to the forum!

#6 Oppie OFFLINE  

Oppie
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 41798
  • 30 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 11:23 AM

awesome. thank you.

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 11:50 AM

You may want to try the rust removal method described in this page. http://gardentractor...ch-tips-how-to/ Instead of sandblasting. Good Luck, Rick
  • HDWildBill and Oppie have said thanks

#8 antiquetractors OFFLINE  

antiquetractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 279 Thanks
  • 506 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 11:55 AM

Sand blasting is messy but I prefer it over electrolisys. I can get all the dirt, grime, paint and rust off in one pass. A blasting cabinet is the way to go for smaller parts.

#9 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 08:59 PM

I've been using it also with good results. I drape a sheet of plastic to catch the over spray behind & underneath. I then sift it & get another use out of it.

#10 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 08:36 AM

I also have used the "sandbox" playsand. It's already pretty fine/clean so I did not sift it. Gerneal purpose sand is too coarse and wouldn't work well. I bought the cheapest of cheapest blaster from HF, like $7 on sale,  just hook to air line and stick tube in bag. I was getting moisture from my compressor so I had to clean nozzle, but I ended up stripping a complete camaro subframe with it. I also made a blasting room with clear plastic I stapled to my barn ceiling then I swept up sand, ran through screen and used again cause I'm super cheap. I have seen you can get a 50# bag of black beauty blasting sand at TSC for only about $6-8.

Make sure you use a super tight and good mask/respirator....silicate poisoning from the sand is not pleasant. I also obtained a tyvex suit and had full face shield, sand gets everywhere.

i'm gonna try electrolisis next go around for tractor parts

Edited by TAHOE, August 08, 2013 - 08:37 AM.

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#11 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 281 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 12:19 PM

I also have used the "sandbox" playsand. It's already pretty fine/clean so I did not sift it. Gerneal purpose sand is too coarse and wouldn't work well. I bought the cheapest of cheapest blaster from HF, like $7 on sale,  just hook to air line and stick tube in bag. I was getting moisture from my compressor so I had to clean nozzle, but I ended up stripping a complete camaro subframe with it. I also made a blasting room with clear plastic I stapled to my barn ceiling then I swept up sand, ran through screen and used again cause I'm super cheap. I have seen you can get a 50# bag of black beauty blasting sand at TSC for only about $6-8.

Make sure you use a super tight and good mask/respirator....silicate poisoning from the sand is not pleasant. I also obtained a tyvex suit and had full face shield, sand gets everywhere.

i'm gonna try electrolisis next go around for tractor parts

Tahoe, I got mine even cheaper. A few years back the state was blasting and painting bridges in my area. After they quit for the day I could just shovel up the used sand under the bridge. Had to screen it but, hey, the price was great.

Larry

Edited by lrhredjb, August 15, 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#12 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 12:31 PM

The companies who do road stripping use glass beads to sprinkle on the paint. I wonder if it is the same stuff used to bead blast.

#13 Retlaw 66 OFFLINE  

Retlaw 66
  • Member No: 51753
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 09:03 AM

An  equipment rental place may also sell blasting sand. It's avail in various grits from coarse to fine. Will cost a bit more than play sand, but it has consistant grain size, doesn't need to be sifted, and has less fine dust mixed in with it..

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 11:47 AM

Used it myself, and you are so right, DO screen ir first or you'll be clogging constantly!  And when using sand for blast media, use a good form of respirator to prevent breathing any of the silica dust generated.  Nasty for the lungs & the damage can be VERY dangerous, and not reversible!!!!!!!!

Your right about the Silica Sand Daniel! There was a time at Farmhand where I would spend 8 hrs per day in a 16X16 X14 box snadblasting parts and whole machines. I would dress in leather Chaps and jacket, put on a Fiberglass helmet with air fed to it. lock myself in that cabinet never see another soul for 2 hrs at a time. Every Bag of sand had a warning label that read" Warning this prduct can cause Sillicosis".

Much like black lung it deposits in the lungs and never goes away.

A kind of funny side story goes with this. When a Salesman came in and talked the company into buying Garnet Chips as a blasting media. Honestly I liked the way it worked for the most part. The Arguement was that it could be recycled and used over and over.

And it was true, but the Garnet Media left sheetmetal with a surface very much like a rasp, causing a lot more grinding/polishing to make it paint ready. After one truckload of Garnet we went back to Silica sand.

Edited by JD DANNELS, December 20, 2013 - 11:54 AM.

#15 rust addict OFFLINE  

rust addict
  • Member No: 51434
  • 242 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted December 23, 2013 - 12:04 AM

Silica dust will really mess up your lungs, I just did this same thing, used a pot sprayer using screened sand, made a booth from a old swing set a-frame enclosed with plastic to save and reuse the sand. The first try I used goggles and a dust mask for about an hour, my throat got dry and I was shooting out snot rocks. Got on line to find a 'positive air flow respirator', too expensive and would have had to wait for delivery. I ended up sewing up a hood with plastic visor out of a t-shirt, used a vacuum cleaner hose connected to a small air fan I had and connected it under the hood to blow air. The air pressure is enough to keep out the dust and I went most of the day with no problems. OSHA would have a fit and I don't recommend it as a good stratigy, but it worked. We'll do some crazy stuff.eh? Or, just hold your breath.