8 replies to this topic

#1 Clint ONLINE  

Clint

• Member No: 8265
  • 412 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 09:23 PM

Hi guys,

I bought my first Gravely yesterday. It is a model L I. It has a 30" mower deck and a sulkey. The sulkey looks to be home made. I am not familiar with Gravely's at all as this is my first. The tank is rust free, but has gunk that looks like it will clean right out. Kinda jelled gas at the bottom. The guy said it's been sitting for about 12 years. I haven't even tried to turn the engine over yet. I ran out of time the other day. What would this model with the deck and sulkey be worth? I think I did ok, but want to be sure. Here are some pictures.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

• Texas Deere and Horse and LilysDad have said thanks

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,611 Thanks
  • 3,911 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 09:37 PM

Very nice! 

No idea on worth but if you are happy with the purchase thats all that matters.  :thumbs:

A Gravely two wheeler is what started my addiction to garden tractors. 

Your tractor was made in 1958

• Clint said thank you

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 11:06 PM

A lot depends on where you are as far as value.  It is a nice looking unit though.  Could be worth anywhere from $200 to $1000 dollars.

• Clint said thank you

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,622 Thanks
  • 7,665 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 06:34 AM

Nice original paint. I'd like to see it after it goes through the car wash!

• Clint said thank you

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 07:19 AM

I think you did very well.  Supposedly the LI is one of the rarer Gravelys.  It stands for Model L Intermediate Speed.  Gravely made an LS, and LI, and the L.  The LI was geared a little slower so you didn't have to run to keep up. 

You also have a Parker governor.  That is one handy unit.  If you don't have one, the Gravely is straight throttle.  That works well, but a governor sure is nice. 

If it has been sitting, you'll need to go visit GtGravelyParts.com.  Todd White is the man for Gravely parts.  I would get the minimum of a couple things:

~Magneto Kit. 

~Zenith carburetor kit.

~Fuel shutoff (unless you have a sediment bowl)

~Head gasket if you plan to decarbonize the head.

An auto parts store will have the W14 spark plug, the oil filter if your's has one, and a length of fuel line.

Post a picture of the sulky, if you get a chance.  The Gravely sulky did look in way almost home made.

Don't paint that machine!  I love those original decals. 

Ben W.

• Clint and LilysDad have said thanks

#6 stlzed OFFLINE  

stlzed
  • Member No: 41598
  • 8 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 04:11 PM

Was that the one down in Imperial, MO for $100 on St. Louis Craigslist? If so, you beat me to it by about an hour! Ha! Good score. I called the guy after he emailed me his phone number and said someone was loading it up. That was probably you! If you're ever interested in selling it, let me know, I'm just up the road from you in Edwardsville. Well done, I knew that one would go quick.

• Clint said thank you

#7 Clint ONLINE  

Clint

• Member No: 8265
  • 412 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 04:21 PM

Yup, that was me. I didn't think I got hurt for $100 bucks!  Just didn't know what they went for. I have a few David Bradley walk behinds I'm on the fence about selling. I have three or four of them. Not complete, but I have all the hoods.

#8 BcKc OFFLINE  

BcKc

• Member No: 6490
  • 14 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 11:56 AM

Clint, if you think you did okay that is all that matters!

but for the record you did good..... not just okay.

The machine is in good shape and came with a sulky, that's a bonus in my books.

I see machines go for more money without a sulky, the hood is bashed up and broken, motor does not run and the tires were rotting off the wheels. 

The guy must have been of his rocker to buy it in that condition........ but I had to have it! :rolling:

I cant wait to see it cleaned up and running for you.

Kc

• Clint said thank you

#9 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10345
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 03:46 PM

Nice find!  I pay $75 for non runners all the time and most are not in as good a shape as yours.  Keep your eyes open and buy parts tractors whenever you see them. They are your best source for parts when things go wrong. (that won't happen that much)  Just a clutch ring for these things new is more than what you paid for the tractor!

Larry W.

I have a 1967 Model C in a box in my garage.  It was outside in the rain for 10 years when I found it.  Things were rusting off of it.  I just tore it down and saved what was good and scrapped the rest.  The parts are worth far more than $75.00 for me and my 79 year old father that has 5 or 6 of his own.

• Clint said thank you