• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • Member No: 11338
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 05:10 PM

I am embarrassed to post this but hope to save some time in doing so.   mower two.jpg mower three.jpg As posted earlier I have a haban sickle bar mower I found for my 2418.  I have made mounts for it, sandblasted it and now have it mounted on the tractor. "Life is good".  I removed the sickle from it before making the mounts and sandblasting it.  It was no problem I just took one bolt out and slid the sickle out.  Now I have sharpened it, greased it and ready to put it back in.  I HAVE RUN INTO A LITTLE PROBLEM... I see no way it can possibly go back in.  The frame of the mower is directly in the way.  I see no way to go over the frame nor go under the frame of the mower.  I DID NOT MODIFY THE FRAME IN ANY WAY.   When I slid the sickle out there were no obstructions now it is not even close to allowing me to put it back.  I know that there is a simple way to do this but I have stared at this thing for over an hour and tried to put the bar in place every way I know but it is not even close to possible.  As I look at it the only chance may be in jacking the tractor up about 10 inches in the air allowing the bar to drop down far below its intended position and way below the frame.  It does not look like it will lower that far but it is next to try.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 05:16 PM

It looks like the curved bar is the one in the way? When you took the blade out, was it mounted on the tractor? Why not just take out the two bolts that act as pivots? Or, you could jack up the left side of the tractor only and it should get the bar out of the way.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 05:21 PM

Can you take the two pivot bolts out and slide the arm out from under the tractor?

#4 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,610 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 05:42 PM

Lift the outter end of the cutter bar slightly and see if that gives you more clearance.    You may have to prop up the right side of the tractor as well. 

#5 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 09:14 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.  I will be gone from home until Monday to work on it.  I will start jacking around on the tractor and see what I can figure out.  It is correct that the curved brace is the problem.  The blade MUST go in below the curved brace as the space between the curved one and the other one is only a couple inches and the end of the sickle has a mount that is  nearly 4 inches tall.  I am thinking that a combination of jacking up the tractor and lifting the end of the bar some will give enough space for it to go under.  As it sits now it is not even close.  I guess a breakdown in the field would mean a trip to the shop if it is this big a deal just to replace the sickle.  I will keep you posted.

#6 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 10:47 AM

You can take every bolt out of every guard, remove the guards and install the knife, then reinstall the guards.

Not an ideal situation, but it has been done on larger agriculture machines.

Edited by KC9KAS, August 03, 2013 - 10:47 AM.

#7 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 06:22 PM

Hi,

I don't know who told or sold it to you as a Haban but it is not!
I don't know who made them for Economy Power King but I am told that
it is a derivitive of a McCormick Deering design that goes back a long way.
I have one of the same sickle bar mowers mounted on a 1967 Power King.
I have not had to remove the cutter bar, but I would think that if
you remove the 2 pivot bolts that you could insert the cutter bar.

I think it is a robust design with the biggest limitation is that
it will only cut level, it cannot lay down further to cut say a ditch bank.

Chuck

#8 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 06:43 PM

Hi,

I just checked the manual and it says during assembly to insert the cutter bar into sickle bar and then attach it with the pivot bolts.

There is no section on field repairs.

Chuck
  • MH81 said thank you

#9 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 11:38 PM

The sickle is now in it.  Obviously this model is not made for any field repairs that include removal and replacement of the sickle.  To insert the blade I jacked the front end of the tractor up about 10 inches in the air.  I than jacked hinged portion of the mower up about 4 inches.  I was in this position able to get the head of the sickle bar under the frame of the mower.  All was well at that point and I reattached the pitman arm to the sickle.  It was about that time that I realized that I could not put the belt on with the arm attached so I removed it again and put the belt on.  Finally it is all together and mounted correctly. It has been raining about every day so I have not had a chance to use it yet.

Chuck,  Your post is interesting to me.  I made an assumption that this mower is a Haban mower since all of the part numbers begin with an H although it does not actually say Haban anywhere on the mower I can find.  I do have an owners manual that says on the front page...." ENGINEERING PRODUCTS CO,  Waukesha, Wisconsin..... Sickle Mower for Power King Tractor."  Where was the Haban company located?  Chuck, have you had any problems with yours, anything I should watch out for other than knowing I can't lay it lower than horizontal.

Mike

#10 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 10:21 AM

Mike,
The Haban literature says Racine Wisconsin.

I have cut some small plots with my sickle bar and other than squirting some oil on
the areas that the cutter bar slides in the sickle bar, I have not encountered any weaknesses.
I don't think my mower has a lot of use on it as it is still very thight, not sloppy at all.
I do not plan on using it much and jsut take it to shows. I will take some pics and post them later.

Chuck

#11 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 07:48 PM

Mine is also tight and in my opinion seen little use.  Mine had most of the original paint on the bar, even underneath.  Thanks for the information about the  use of yours.  I also do not intend to use mine much either. Actually I just intend to mow under a bunch of trees in my fields that my bigger cab tractor will not go under.  I am getting mine ready for three different shows here in Mo. in Sept.  I likewise will get mine out for a photo and post it.  Now that it looks like the rain has stopped I will do that this week.

Mike

#12 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 08:05 PM

I think this is the same mower.

Attached Files

Edited by Username, August 11, 2013 - 08:06 PM.

• EconChuck said thank you