21 replies to this topic

#1 Radarsonwheels OFFLINE  

Radarsonwheels
  • Member No: 41776
  • 7 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 09:34 AM

Howdy
I just got a 7 or 8 hp Simplicity Broadmoor garden tractor with a snow thrower and mower deck
FABCE6AE-8A74-4B17-BA8E-917621509FA8-532

It has an aluminum block and these were the only #s I found. Maybe they are Briggs & Stratton #s and not simplicity model #s? Any place else to look for #s?
From the top of the engine:
63338A2F-4ACB-4EEE-A6D9-2EB4C381FC90-771
I come from building harleys and mopars so my inclination with this machine is to make it operate well and keep it clean and maintained. I am keeping the original paint (it's only original once!).

I would love to know more about these. It seems the broadmoor was badge engineered under a few different marques? I was told mine is a 1972? Any history or info would be great!

Thanks!!!
Kevin in NE Philly area
  • Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862, Dieselcubmike and 1 other said thanks

#2 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 10:06 AM

:welcometogttalk: See the manuals section Here  p.3(see mauals tab @ top of page) ., I'm sure guys more familiar with Simplicity will join in soon enough, Enjoy the site and your 'new' broadmoor!

Edited by Newpaws493, August 02, 2013 - 10:10 AM.

• Radarsonwheels said thank you

#3 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 10:09 AM

Hello there and welcome! :wave:

#4 Radarsonwheels OFFLINE  

Radarsonwheels
  • 7 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 10:36 AM

Oops forgot to say it's a '728'

Cheers!

#5 Radarsonwheels OFFLINE  

Radarsonwheels
  • 7 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 10:47 AM

And thanks for the welcomes! It's been my experience around the net forums that the fast machines (1/4 mile cars, v2 & v8 oriented sites) tend to attract members that are jerks, keyboard commandos and chest puffers.

I am also on moparts which is a pretty good resource for chrysler enthusiasts but slantsix.org, which specializes in the indestructable and not so powerful chrysler straight six (long stroke small bore like a tractor or harley haha) is a favorite site. I'm feeling a similar vibe here- great site!

For me the nerdier the better. Anybody that gets excited about something without basing their ego on it is my favorite kind of person to interact with. I love to 'geek out' on this stuff!

Sorry for the digression- hopefully I can meet some simplicity broadmoor freaks on here.

Kevin
  • JRJ said thank you

#6 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 10:56 AM

Welcome Kevin.  I am sure you will like this site.  It's well moderated and VERY friendly.  There is some tongue in cheek humor, but everyone treats everyone with respect.  All brands are welcome and pictures are always welcome.

I can't help you with your Simplicity, except to say it is a good quality brand that made GT's for many other brands over the years.

Good luck with your search.  I'm glad you joined.

#7 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 11:09 AM

Welcome to GTtalk Kevin, as already stated the folks on here enjoy photos and it also helps to describe a problem at times. We appreciate the pictures. You will find members that have a vast knowledge of tractors and someone will or should be able to help you will just about any problem you may encounter.So jump right in and ask questions, that is the only way you will get an answer and I say there is never a dumb question.

I do not own now have any knowledge of Simplicties other than they are suppose to be a good tractor.

Dick 

Edited by JRJ, August 02, 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 11:50 AM

Welcome to GTT. I believe that your tractor articulates in the center. Keep it well lubricated. Mine rusted and is siezed. A thread last winter described that it is a real job to fix. Simplicities are like the Harleys of GTs. Well built, popular and tons of accessories. This manual will probably be best for the engine

http://gardentractor...pairman-manual/

Good Luck, Rick

For history check    www.simpletractors.com

Edited by boyscout862, August 02, 2013 - 11:52 AM.

• Radarsonwheels said thank you

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 12:22 PM

Kevin, Welcome to GTtalk. The Broadmoor was born in 1964 as a little duty lawn tractor for Simplicity. It could run things like a Snow Blower off the front PTO, but wasn't really designed for ground engaging attachments. The first ones had a 6hp engine. 

• boyscout862, OkieGt and Radarsonwheels have said thanks

#10 wku88 OFFLINE  

wku88
  • Member No: 32000
  • 22 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 12:50 PM

Your engine numbers are Briggs #'s They go in this order: Model/type/code.

Model 191701

Type  0121-01

Code 6908281

Welcome to the forum!

#11 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 03:49 PM

Just to add a little more info. Simplicity's Garden Tractors were called the Sovereign, Baron, and Landlord and their Lawn Tractors were called the Broadmoor, and Serf during that time. As the years progressed all these models got bigger and sported bigger engines. Yours had a independent and floating (articulating?) type frame which allowed for a superior cut than anything else on the market at that time and maybe even today

• boyscout862 and Radarsonwheels have said thanks

#12 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 03:59 PM

Simplicity started building the 728 Broadmoor in the second half of 1969 and continued thru 1971. Judging from your engine build date of August 28th, 1969, I would say your tractor was probably built in 1969 too. Also, the engine is an 8 hp. That's what the 8 in 728 stands for.

Your tractor model and serial number sticker should be on the top of the seat deck just behind the seat, if it hasn't been removed. The ID number of your tractor is 990577. Two different model/serial number stickers were used during the production of the tractor and I don't know offhand wich sticker was the earliest. One sticker had 990577 for the ID number and the other sticker had only 577 followed by the serial number. In the latter case the 990 was understood.

Several more attachments were available for your tractor including a 42" snow plow/dozer blade. 40" mid-mount grader blade, rear weight with donut weights, rear wheel weights, front weight, 30" rotary tiller, 26" lawn revitalizer and an engine driven vacuum collector.

#13 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 05:24 PM

Simplicity started building the 728 Broadmoor in the second half of 1969 and continued thru 1971. Judging from your engine build date of August 28th, 1969, I would say your tractor was probably built in 1969 too. Also, the engine is an 8 hp. That's what the 8 in 728 stands for.

Your tractor model and serial number sticker should be on the top of the seat deck just behind the seat, if it hasn't been removed. The ID number of your tractor is 990577. Two different model/serial number stickers were used during the production of the tractor and I don't know offhand wich sticker was the earliest. One sticker had 990577 for the ID number and the other sticker had only 577 followed by the serial number. In the latter case the 990 was understood.

Several more attachments were available for your tractor including a 42" snow plow/dozer blade. 40" mid-mount grader blade, rear weight with donut weights, rear wheel weights, front weight, 30" rotary tiller, 26" lawn revitalizer and an engine driven vacuum collector.

Thanks for all the additional info!!!, And after 1972 or 1973 I think they went to 169xxxx numbers

#14 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for all the additional info!!!, And after 1972 or 1973 I think they went to 169xxxx numbers

They made the change at the beginning of the 1975 model year.
  • OkieGt said thank you

#15 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 07:24 PM

Greetings from another person who is into these tractors, is a Mopar nut, is also from PA, and while I'm not into Harleys, I do live in York where they're made.  I have an earlier Broadmoor for parts, two Homesteaders (the later Allis Chalmers version of the Broadmoor) and various attachments.

I responded in your mower deck thread.  Did you have any luck with getting the front raised?

• OkieGt and Radarsonwheels have said thanks