#46 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 08:32 AM

How fast is the driveshaft going to be turning? Just thinking about balance is spinning fast.

It bolts to the front of the crank so whatever RPM the engine is turning, so is the driveshaft. If it vibrates I will first try to ballace it myself using stick on wheel weights. Someone it didn't vibrate before but then again, I've added a decen chunk of mass there.

#47 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 05:06 PM

they had better have some very very strong adhesive on those wheel weights 

#48 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 09:28 PM

they had better have some very very strong adhesive on those wheel weights 

LOL, I got these to spin a few thousand rpm pretty smoothly... I have SUPER adhesive :)

DS.jpg

#49 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 01:13 PM

The linkage from the hydro control lever to the hydro is strange. If you look at the attached pictures you will see that the earlier versions were way over engineered. It has a couple of large springs with a flexible frame and a rod going through the springs and then there was a shock dampener. Way too many moving parts (kind of like the steering but I'll get into that later)! I feel safe saying it was way over engineered because they changed it over to the later version... which is a solid rod with a shock dampener.

The problem I've had was the lever would be an inch or better up from "N" when the hydro was in actually in neutral. Sounds simple, just adjust the clevis (#35). I did that and got the "N" in correct position but now the shock dampener is fully compressed and the lever will not move to the reverse direction. I looked and looked for adjustment on the lever end (to counter the bottomed out shock) but there isn't any. It makes sense: if you've got three moveable items that you want in alignment then no more than one of them can be fixed... in this case the hydro handle and the shock dampener are both fixed.

I am going to try replacing the lever with the solid bar style and see how it works out. There still isn't any adjustability in the shock to lever area but there also isn't that funky flimsy frame to combat. If worse comes to worse I will cut the link tube between the shock mount and the lever attachment point and tap both ends and put it back together with some all-thread. that way I can extend or shorten it. 

#50 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 01:14 PM

repost.

Edited by twostep, August 22, 2013 - 01:25 PM.

#51 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 10:39 PM

Engine is back in. Now comes the wiring... check out this rats nest:

DSCN1859.JPG

DSCN1860.JPG

#52 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 07:49 PM

I started sorting out the wiring mess. Starts by stripping all of the protection off of the wires and replacing any that have be cut, worn through or are just really stiff from heat and age.

I've not worked on this for a few days though since I've been busy starting the shed.

6 of the 6x6 posts up and 6 to go.

DSCN1908.JPG

#53 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 06:55 AM

Those are some odd shaped roof lines  :watch_over_fence:  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:

• twostep said thank you

#54 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 08:40 PM

well that was my FIRST try...

• Trav1s said thank you

#55 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 09:44 PM

That is funny...

Got the other 6 posts up today. I'll be ready for headers in a couple of days.

DSCN1928.JPG

#56 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,513 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 06:57 AM

Looks like the shed is coming along nicely!

#57 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 04:34 AM

While I'm rebuilding this I am going to convert it from power assist to full hydraulic steering. The power assist valve is 4 port and the new steering valve is a JD 5 port valve...

What throws a kink in my plumbing is that the 400's hydraulics are Pump --> Valves --> Steering assist valve --> Cooler --> Reservoir.

So with a 5 port I will need to change... anyone have any input on this?

I've read your write up with interest.  I have a JD 420 that I will eventually repower--probably with a diesel.

As for a thermostat for your electric fan.  Auto Zone (Advanced Auto Parts I believe in your neck of the woods) used to sell a thermostatic control for electric fans.  It had two switches--1 for regular fan, and one for the A/c, the relays for the fan, and a temperature probe which actually slid between the fins of the radiator and was clipped on the other side.  I installed one on my 97 Toyota Camry--the PO had front ended it, and installed an aftermarket radiator and front clip, and didn't bother to hook up the temp sensors--he just had the fans wired to run all the time... After I installed the system, the fans came on as needed (some adjustment is provided in the system), and I never had any more problems with it. FWIW.

However, I also have the steering valve and cylinder off a JD 400 that I wanted to install on my Bolens HT23, but I'm unfamiliar with how to set up the valve.  I know the valve was on the LH side and the cylinder on the RH side on the JD400... it will be opposite that for the Bolens because the Pitman Arm is on the RH side.  But, my big question, since the valve only has a small amount of movement, when it's installed on the machine, how do you adjust it?  I can see that pressure against it from the drag link to turn the wheels right would press it in and actuate the cylinder but how does it sense when you're turning left, etc.

Any input from anyone would be appreciated.

Regards,

Utah Smitty

#58 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 08:24 AM

However, I also have the steering valve and cylinder off a JD 400 that I wanted to install on my Bolens HT23, but I'm unfamiliar with how to set up the valve.  I know the valve was on the LH side and the cylinder on the RH side on the JD400... it will be opposite that for the Bolens because the Pitman Arm is on the RH side.  But, my big question, since the valve only has a small amount of movement, when it's installed on the machine, how do you adjust it?  I can see that pressure against it from the drag link to turn the wheels right would press it in and actuate the cylinder but how does it sense when you're turning left, etc.

You are correct, the valve is inline on the left and side of the frame. When you turn the wheel left the pitman arm pushes forward on the valve which is also inline going to the upper steering arm on the left knuckle. When it pushes the valve directs fluid to one side of the cylinder. The same mechanism works for turning right... the pitman arm pulls on the valve and it directs fluid to the other side of the assist cylinder. It seems like the valve is nothing more than an inline hydraulic valve.The cylinder body is mounted just right of center on the 400's front axle and is attached to the left wheel's tie rod steering arm. I'm actually going to remove the 400's steering system and change it to a full hydraulic steering system. I'm doing this mainly so that I have more freedom with my loader sub-frame and mounting. The pitman arm and draglink hangs below the frame and is just in the way.

I'll snap some pictures for you if you need. You might want to see about mounting a 400 front axle on your 420 since it has the cylinder mounts cast in.

#59 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 11:00 AM

You are correct, the valve is inline on the left and side of The pitman arm and draglink hangs below the frame and is just in the way...

I'll snap some pictures for you if you need. You might want to see about mounting a 400 front axle on your 420 since it has the cylinder mounts cast in.

Thanks for your offer--I have a pretty good idea of how it works, However, when you have a moment (does that ever happen LOL!?) they would be nice if someone else has the same question and doesn't have the parts to look at--

You've done an excellent job with your "refurbishment" and explained several things that will be very helpful in a number of areas.

Regards,

Smitty

• twostep said thank you

#60 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted November 16, 2013 - 12:15 AM

I've actually tinkered on this some. Got the radiator mounted back up and plumbed. I also started on the steering. I have positioned the valve. I'm going to be using the steering valve and stem from a 3000 series cub.

DSCN2446.JPG

DSCN2448.JPG

• olcowhand and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks