• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 12:27 PM

Bobby, That should be a real horse with that Yanmar engine in it. It looks like it fit well in the hole.

Congrats !!

• twostep said thank you

#17 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 04:49 PM

Can you get a pic under the hood I would like to see how well that Yanmar fits in there

me also

#18 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 11:17 PM

Here are some more pic's... as you can see in some of them, the wiring is hacked.

After mowing with teh 140 today and then joy riding the 400 I can really enjoy the extra foot room of the 400. I can also see that comparing it to the GT-14, the loader that I had designed will fit the 400 much better! It's quite a bit taller, wider and beefier.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1597.JPG
  • DSCN1598.JPG
  • DSCN1599.JPG
  • DSCN1600.JPG
  • DSCN1601.JPG
  • DSCN1603.JPG
  • DSCN1604.JPG
  • DSCN1606.JPG
  • DSCN1607.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse and Littledeere have said thanks

#19 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 03:37 PM

Sweet find!  Bet the Yanmar is quite and smooth.

Edited by Trav1s, August 03, 2013 - 03:37 PM.

• twostep said thank you

#20 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 11:59 PM

Travis the yanmar is smooth and I like it... but the 400 isn't built for it. I have almost completely torn the thing apart. Minus the drive shaft I have the engine ready to pull out. I will cut two of the mounts off at a time and redo them. As you can see in these pictures the PO wrote the definition of booty fab. I would be embarrassed if my welding was no better and there is NO WAY I would take on a project like this repower. Anyway, he didn't jack up anything that can't be fixed... actually it won't take much work to make it right. They also did some really dumb stuff with the coolent hoses. Instead of buying 1" ID heater/rad hose they sleved a bunch of pieces together but they use 3/4 or 1/2" hose. I'll replace all of it with the right stuff.

DSCN1703.JPG DSCN1706.JPG DSCN1707.JPG

I studied what it would take to relocate the radiator back to the back side of the engine and then my wife asked me why...  after explaining the reasons I realized that there is really only two reasons but it was more because I wanted to. The reasons all circulate around the electrical fan... first it's an extra draw on the electrical system and second it forces the front grille to be mounted slightly forward of where it should be. Ultimately I would have to cut too much good sheet metal and I would have to completely redo the travel control since it would interfere with radiator. So, I'm going to leave the rad up front.

Also the trans/steering fluid cooler originally mounted cross ways between the engine and the steering/battery tower. Of course this engine is too long so the PO moved it to the side between the intake manifold and the left side tin... almost no airflow through the fins. If there is room I will move it to the area behind the radiator and above the electric PTO. Right now it is just empty space. 

In true fashion I can't just repair the problems... I've got to go full tear down. This is where I stopped tonight.

DSCN1715.JPG

• olcowhand said thank you

#21 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 09:36 PM

Got some more work done on the 400 today. Started by making up a new radiator mount. PO had it sitting on the crossmember with two bolts on the sides. Now it uses the two posts on the bottom plus the two bolts on the side. I raised it 3.5" and pushed it forward about 1/4". Before it was too close to the PTO pulley.

DSCN1759.JPG DSCN1762.JPG DSCN1763.JPG DSCN1764.JPG

After that I tore it down further. A little bit of cut off wheel and a wack with a hammer and the front two engine mounts practically fell off. Booger welds can actually hold if there is some penetration but in this case I knew the welds didn't penetrate near enough simply because the paint on the outside of the frame rails hadn't burnt off.

DSCN1770.JPG

This is another example of the fab skills this guy had... yes that is 2 lock washers and a 1/4" chuck of just taking up space because the bolt was too long.

DSCN1768.JPG

Here are the starts of the new mounts. I'm doing the front two and then I'll do the rear two. Somehow the PO actually positioned the engine pretty well. It is in line and mounted at the right angle.

DSCN1772.JPG

DSCN1773.JPG

After the mounts are finished I'm thinking of running an exhaust pipe down and out the back like an old gas tractor. For a couple of reason, first to get heat out of the engine bay, and second to get the exhaust behind me.

DSCN1778.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1769.JPG

Edited by twostep, August 12, 2013 - 07:39 AM.

• SupplySergeant said thank you

#22 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 05:11 AM

Glad things are going well with this! Gonna be a nice rig when you get done with it!

#23 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 10:41 AM

Those welds were stuck about as good as bubble gum.  That could have ended badly if you hadn't redone those mounts!

• twostep said thank you

#24 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 02:14 PM

While I'm rebuilding this I am going to convert it from power assist to full hydraulic steering. The power assist valve is 4 port and the new steering valve is a JD 5 port valve...

What throws a kink in my plumbing is that the 400's hydraulics are Pump --> Valves --> Steering assist valve --> Cooler --> Reservoir.

So with a 5 port I will need to change... anyone have any input on this?

Steering Layout.jpg

#25 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 02:27 PM

Man, missed this thread, looks like a decent score.

Where is this BFE Ohio you speak of?  :smilewink:

#26 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 03:16 PM

Russellville

#27 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 06:49 PM

While I'm rebuilding this I am going to convert it from power assist to full hydraulic steering. The power assist valve is 4 port and the new steering valve is a JD 5 port valve...

What throws a kink in my plumbing is that the 400's hydraulics are Pump --> Valves --> Steering assist valve --> Cooler --> Reservoir.

So with a 5 port I will need to change... anyone have any input on this?

attachicon.gifSteering Layout.jpg

Pump --> Steering assist valve,  power beyond on steering valve to Lift Valves -->  lift valve return to--> Cooler --> Reservoir.  You will "T" in the steering valve's normal return into the "cooler" line.

#28 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 08:41 PM

Pump --> Steering assist valve,  power beyond on steering valve to Lift Valves -->  lift valve return to--> Cooler --> Reservoir.  You will "T" in the steering valve's normal return into the "cooler" line.

OCH, thank you but we're still missing the lift valve's PB. Would it be the only one that goes directly back to the reservoir?.. which in essance it would just be going back to the down-stream side of cooler.

#29 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 09:09 PM

OCH, thank you but we're still missing the lift valve's PB. Would it be the only one that goes directly back to the reservoir?.. which in essance it would just be going back to the down-stream side of cooler.

You can run all the return lines (power beyond or return lines) together into a single line to the cooler, then to the reservoir.....as long as there is NO other form of valve or possible obstruction between the cooler & the reservoir & the cooler & return line/cooler is large enough to handle the volume without creating back pressure.

• twostep said thank you

#30 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,413 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 09:57 PM

OK, I hope this comes out, its messy but its essentially what you want. I think Dan and I are on the same page?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20130812_225534.jpg

Edited by skyrydr2, August 12, 2013 - 09:58 PM.

• twostep said thank you