Need Tecumseh HH120 replacement

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 smatt26 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 400
  • 0 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted November 19, 2010 - 03:34 PM

Hello to all, I have been on here a couple of times for help and its a good forum. Keep it up.

Last night as I was hauling wood to the garage she finally gave out. It can be rebuilt but that will come later on. So in the meantime, what are some of my options with replacements? What fits without much modification? What about a diesel? Please help winter is coming.

#2 mikebramel OFFLINE  

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted November 19, 2010 - 07:40 PM

#3 tweidman OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted November 20, 2010 - 09:39 AM

The newer OH tecumsehs are a direct bolt in replacement, no mods needed. I think just about anything else will require some tweaking. I have seen Kohlers, Briggs, and diesels installed, but all take some work. I saw that some one put one of those chinese Honda copy engines from Harbor Freight in a MF as well. That might be a cheap option if you don't mind modding?

#4 smatt26 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 400
  • 0 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted November 20, 2010 - 08:05 PM

I dont mind doing some mods. I havent had time to get into it and tear it down and really see what all is wrong with it. Once i get it apart i will have a better idea what direction to go in.

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,502 Thanks
  • 5,269 posts

Posted November 20, 2010 - 08:31 PM

This is a MF12Hydra with one of those China Honda Clones in it.

masseys 024.jpg

I had to remove the air cleaner cover, modify the choke lever on the engine and the cable. The exhaust pipe from the engine to the muffler was cut and a 90deg iron pipe fitting welded in so the muffler could be mounted outside. I used the key switch that came with the engine and modified the wiring to fit. The charging circuit is not strong enough to run the lights only to charge up the battery.

Here's another one.

mf12 003.jpg

This is also a Hydra and is a good working unit in use today, check it out> http://gardentractor...-mf12hydra-245/

Attached Thumbnails

• muffler 004.jpg
  • muffler 001.jpg
  • mf12 001.jpg

#6 tractormike OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 09:15 AM

When I was building my narrow front Massey I bolted in a briggs 8 horse engine I had laying around just so I could get the project moving while I was looking for a HH100. If I remember right all I had to do was drill 2 new holes for the engine mount bolts to use the briggs. I think I had to use a different pulley also as the crankshaft was a different size. If you intent is to just be able to use the garden tractor for hauling stuff for now that might be an option for you.