• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 tcfisher OFFLINE  

tcfisher
  • Member No: 9786
  • 21 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 11:31 AM

Hi Sliverfox... Have to agree, a missing fin or two off the flywheel is not a huge concern. I have a 1950 Power Ho 12BB01 that my dad purchased new. Wtih the tractor, he also bought the mold board plow with coulter, the cultivator, the bulldozer plow, wheel weights, the sickle bar and the reel mower. I still have all of accesories except the reel mower. A few years ago I got a later reel, which I think was probably for a 4-wheel tractor as the mount plate is different. I've gone thru the mower replacing bearings, drive chain and a couple bushings. I've copied the mount channel from the dozer plow, but would love to see a couple pics of an original reel mower mount just to make sure I'm not needlessly reinventing the wheel. The driven pulley and idler line up with the pulley on the engine, but the pull rod that tensions the idler isn't near long enough, any good clear pics would be much appreciated. As to the black blower housing, I think the black is a primer or at least an under coat. My dad's engine, as far as I know, is completely original, and the black shows only at the top where the housing curves inward, it's green elsewhere.

• Texas Deere and Horse and Bruce Dorsi have said thanks

#17 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 11:44 AM

tc, Welcome to GTtalk, glad you are here. Stick around and join in whenever you can.

#18 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 11:50 AM

Hi Sliverfox... Have to agree, a missing fin or two off the flywheel is not a huge concern. I have a 1950 Power Ho 12BB01 that my dad purchased new. Wtih the tractor, he also bought the mold board plow with coulter, the cultivator, the bulldozer plow, wheel weights, the sickle bar and the reel mower. I still have all of accesories except the reel mower. A few years ago I got a later reel, which I think was probably for a 4-wheel tractor as the mount plate is different. I've gone thru the mower replacing bearings, drive chain and a couple bushings. I've copied the mount channel from the dozer plow, but would love to see a couple pics of an original reel mower mount just to make sure I'm not needlessly reinventing the wheel. The driven pulley and idler line up with the pulley on the engine, but the pull rod that tensions the idler isn't near long enough, any good clear pics would be much appreciated. As to the black blower housing, I think the black is a primer or at least an under coat. My dad's engine, as far as I know, is completely original, and the black shows only at the top where the housing curves inward, it's green elsewhere.

Welcome to the forum!

We would love to see some pictures of your Bolens

If you can get pictures of the current setup on your reel I can ID it for you and let you know what you need.

#19 Silverfox23 OFFLINE  

Silverfox23
  • Member No: 41401
  • 9 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 05:51 PM

Hi TC

Here are some pictures of our reel mower.  Hope it helps. 

Bolens Reel Mower 020.JPG Bolens Reel Mower 021.JPG Bolens Reel Mower 022.JPG Bolens Reel Mower 023.JPG Bolens Reel Mower 024.JPG

Could you post pictures of your wheel weights?  We haven't seen wheel weights for a Power Ho. 

Edited by Silverfox23, August 31, 2013 - 05:54 PM.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#20 tcfisher OFFLINE  

tcfisher
  • 21 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 08:50 PM

Hi Silverfox....... thanks for the posts of the mower pics, it looks very much like the one I'm slowly bringing back to life.... would you know if there's a section of sheet rubber between the quick hitch and the plate which is welded to the cross bar ?  And where does the long slender rod which engages the mower-drive slide or pin into the idler assembly ? 

My wheels weights are up north right now... we found a long time ago that if we flipped them around to face the other way, they'd fit into the rear wheels of a 1967 Sears Suburban SS 12, and when the snowblower is mounted on that unit, it needs all of the Bolens' weight to give it good traction in the snow.  Next time I'm north, I'll take some pics of them.

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I'd completely forgotten I'd done this post !!

#21 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 08:54 PM

Yes, a piece of rubber is in between the hitch and reel frame

I think its part number 150435 if I remember correctly.

You may find this manual useful:

http://gardentractor...pe-a401b-a402b/

#22 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 08:59 PM

Could you post pictures of your wheel weights?  We haven't seen wheel weights for a Power Ho. 

The weights used in this time period were used on the Bolens Ridemasters, Ride-a-Matics & Walkbehinds

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

• tcfisher said thank you

#23 tcfisher OFFLINE  

tcfisher
  • 21 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 07:52 PM

Yep,, those are the ones that I still have for my dad's DeLuxe

Thanks to Dr. Bolens for verifying the sheet rubber isolator on the reel.  It looks from the pics that Silverfox posted that I'll have to repaint the upper shield on the reel mower yellow . The hitch is nearly complete, just need to fab a hand-wheel to pull up the draw-bolt on the latch ( unless someone has an extra they want to part with ).

Tonite I raised the skids slightly on the snowplow and s-c-r-a-p-e-d the drive clean of snow.. not sure if the forecast is going to be spot-on with the rain they say is coming, I want it clear as possible so there's no ice build-up.

#24 tcfisher OFFLINE  

tcfisher
  • 21 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 02:45 PM

Thanks Dr. B. for the lead to the mower manual.......... this will help solve the location of where the rod which pulls the idler back is supposed to engage. :thumbs: