• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Silverfox23 OFFLINE  

Silverfox23
  • Member No: 41401
  • 9 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 04:03 PM

A few years ago my husband and I purchased 2 Bolens 12BB01 Power Ho Deluxes with 2 sickle mowers and a reel mower.  It will take both tractors to make one good one with the exception of engines.  On the one engine the flywheel had worked loose and widened the keyway slot in both the crank and the flywheel.  The other engine the crank is worn beyond specs and the flywheel has a broken vane.  Although we have found many parts for  these engines on ebay, we have not been able to find the crank or flywheel.  We haven't been able to find any parts through on line searches either.  Is there any place that a member on GT would recommend to look or call?  Any help would be appreciated.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 04:23 PM

Hi Silverfox23, It might help if you could give us the make,model and serial numbers off the engines. Also on the one with the worn crank shaft, have you looked to see if you can get it turned down and possibly locate an undersized connecting rod?

I wish you luck! And hope that one of our Bolens experts and or site sponsors will be able to help get you up and running.

#3 Silverfox23 OFFLINE  

Silverfox23
  • 9 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 05:17 PM

Sorry about that, we should have put that information in the 1st post.  The engine is a Briggs and Stratton model 8R6, type 702814, serial number 17124.  Part number 26769 for the crankshaft and 29835 for the flywheel.  He had thought about having the crank ground, but bushing surfaces are worn out of specs also. 

• chris m said thank you

#4 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 05:48 PM

Sorry about that, we should have put that information in the 1st post.  The engine is a Briggs and Stratton model 8R6, type 702814, serial number 17124.  Part number 26769 for the crankshaft and 29835 for the flywheel.  He had thought about having the crank ground, but bushing surfaces are worn out of specs also. 

Nothing to be sorry about! I just figured you might get more leads with the engine info. Now hopefully someone will be able to point you in the right direction!

#5 curts garage OFFLINE  

curts garage

• Member No: 1256
  • 40 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 06:14 PM

I have several of these engines, if your patient i may be able to find the parts you need, I have a couple that are locked up and need to be dissassembled, most likely from sitting.  also some that are complete and free, just havent had time to see if they are worth making run.

• chris m and Silverfox23 have said thanks

#6 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 08:34 PM

If you go to "Wills What Nots" store on ebay and give Will a call. I think he had reconditioned cranks for the 8R6. Or you could just shoot me a PM and I'll give you his number. He's very helpful and I've gotten a bunch parts from him already.

• Silverfox23 said thank you

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 08:55 PM

If you go to "Wills What Nots" store on ebay and give Will a call. I think he had reconditioned cranks for the 8R6. Or you could just shoot me a PM and I'll give you his number. He's very helpful and I've gotten a bunch parts from him already.

Will's the man for Briggs parts.  If he can't help you he will know where to point you.

Ben W.

#8 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 07:34 AM

I believe that part number for your 8R-6 crankshaft is incorrect.  .....The #26769 was the "generic" crankshaft used on the model 8 engines, and has a straight shaft w/keyway on the drive end.

If my memory serves me, the 8R-6 ("R-6" designates a 6:1 gear reduction) uses a crankshaft with helical teeth on the end to drive the reduction gear. 

Your engine appears to have been manufactured in June, 1950. 

Can you verify if this engine was original to your 12BB Power-Ho?  ....My Bolens production info says that the type number used in production during 1950-1953 was #905899 for the 12BB's.  ......I have found a number of inaccuracies in the printed Bolens info, so your input will be helpful!

• Bolens 1000 and Silverfox23 have said thanks

#9 Silverfox23 OFFLINE  

Silverfox23
  • 9 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 08:48 AM

Thank you Bruce, you are correct.  The part # for the crank is wrong.  We have 2 different files for 8R6 engine and neither were for the type number we have.  Fortunately we did find the correct manual and parts listing on GT.  The correct part # is 26771. 

I cannot verify if our engines were original to the tractors that we have.  However they are both the same model number and type number.  They both look to be original engines.  Please look at the pictures and see what you think. Briggs 8R6 #2 003.JPG Briggs 8R6 #2 004.JPG Briggs 8R6 #2 008.JPG Briggs 8R6 002.JPG

You can see that the crank is very worn, not only at the rod journal, but both bushing journals. 

• Bruce Dorsi and dxman have said thanks

#10 Silverfox23 OFFLINE  

Silverfox23
  • 9 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 08:51 AM

I have several of these engines, if your patient i may be able to find the parts you need, I have a couple that are locked up and need to be dissassembled, most likely from sitting.  also some that are complete and free, just havent had time to see if they are worth making run.

Thank you Curt, We have lots of patience.  Just let us know what you come up with. 

#11 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 09:11 AM

Well, I'm old, but I  guess my memory is partially still there. :D

But, I was wrong about the gear teeth on the end of the crankshaft.  :(   ....The teeth were straight on the smaller and older engines.  ....Larger, later B&S engines used helical-cut teeth.

Your engines do indeed look like they were original to the tractor.  ....I have made a note in my Bolens info.  ...Thanks for your input!

Would you mind posting a pic of the blower housing?  (That is sometimes called the flywheel cover or shroud.)

Sorry, but i don't know of a source for parts.

#12 Silverfox23 OFFLINE  

Silverfox23
  • 9 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 09:43 AM

Briggs 8R6 #3 001.JPG Briggs 8R6 #3 002.JPG

I don't know why, but, the one engine has a black blower housing and and a black base.  The other one is all green. 

Looking at the one flywheel, I believe that someone purposely made the keyway bigger for what ever reason, but it looks to have worked loose and screwed up the crank. 

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#13 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 10:12 AM

I don't know why, but, the one engine has a black blower housing and and a black base.  The other one is all green.  The black parts have probably been replaced (or re-painted) at some time.

Looking at the one flywheel, I believe that someone purposely made the keyway bigger for what ever reason, but it looks to have worked loose and screwed up the crank. 

Is it possible that the flywheel and crankshaft were both modified to accept a larger-size key?  ....This may have been done purposely to repair past wear.

I have seen many B&S cast-iron flywheels with a broken vane run for many years without a problem.  .....It does not seem to affect the balance enough to be a problem.  .....A broken fin on a larger, heavier flywheel may be more of a concern.

I don't know what your intentions are for your engine.  .....Are you looking for a 100% correct restoration, with just as it came from the factory specs?  ....Or, are you just wanting a useable, running engine? 

If the crankshaft with the worn keyway is good otherwise, a machine shop should be able to create a matching keyway in the crankshaft & flywheel.

#14 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 12:47 PM

The 8R6 on my 12BB is the same type number as yours.

Just a thought... Could you take a mic. and see if the gear splines are the same diameter as the main journal (I can't remember). If the journal is larger you could get the crank machined and have a oversized bushing made. The connecting rod is going to be exspensive to find. They only made the old series 8 engines for 5 years before they changed to a new design. Good luck

#15 Silverfox23 OFFLINE  

Silverfox23
  • 9 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 08:29 PM

Is it possible that the flywheel and crankshaft were both modified to accept a larger-size key?  ....This may have been done purposely to repair past wear.

I have seen many B&S cast-iron flywheels with a broken vane run for many years without a problem.  .....It does not seem to affect the balance enough to be a problem.  .....A broken fin on a larger, heavier flywheel may be more of a concern.

I don't know what your intentions are for your engine.  .....Are you looking for a 100% correct restoration, with just as it came from the factory specs?  ....Or, are you just wanting a useable, running engine? 

If the crankshaft with the worn keyway is good otherwise, a machine shop should be able to create a matching keyway in the crankshaft & flywheel.

On the first bold -- I think that was the case and it didn't hold up. 

On the second bold -- We are going to completely restore it and then use it.  It doesn't have to be completely factory specs, but he doesn't want a problematic engine in the future.  Like the saying says, why is it we don't have time to do it right the first time, but always have time to fix it right the second time.

Edited by Silverfox23, August 02, 2013 - 08:30 PM.

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you