#1 Tractor Chance OFFLINE  

Tractor Chance
  • Member No: 42212
  • 24 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 01:04 PM

Hello,

Newbie here!  So be nice. :)

I just got a 1975 Ford LGT 165.  I am working on cleaning it up.  I need help with the front bucket.  When I bought the tractor, it worked great, just rough looking.  I putted around the yard, playing with dirt and rocks.  Then I put the front bucket down and it never went back up.  Needless to say, we have now ripped the whole thing apart and are cleaning everything up.

Meanwhile I need help with the following things:

1 - I need to replace all of the hydraulic hoses.  I don't know anything about specifications for replacing these hoses.  I did notice that one hose has super strong, with metal braids in it.  The other hose was a regular rubber hose.  There are 4 hoses total.  They are all cracked and ugly, so I'm looking to replace them all.  Where can I get these hoses?  I want to order them, but I don't know where to, or how to.

2 - When I replace the hoses, do I need to replace the fittings that connect the hoses to their respective parts?  if yes, where do I get these?

3 - What are the possible points of failure for the bucket not lifting? 

Thanks in advance.

Tractor Chance

PS - I uploaded some picures into my gallery.  :)

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 01:23 PM

Welcome to GTtalk. :wave:   Someone will be along shortly to answer your question. Be sure to post some photos when you get the chance, we love pictures.. :D

• Tractor Chance said thank you

#3 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 02:03 PM

Need a bit more on the loader, does the main arms lift the bucket ? and does the bucket dump and curl back ?? If nothing works then check your pump to see that it is turning . If it looks like it is, look closer at the pump shaft as someone pulls on a lever to actuate a loader function. If the the pump shaft stops turning then that is your issue, check for a key missing in the shaft. If this is all good then we can get into it more, check this first.

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 02:06 PM

I see you live in a good sized city in Ca. There should be many options available to you.  Out here there are many tractor supply houses (Tractor Supply, Fleet & Farm etc) that could help you match up the hoses and fittings.  Should be there too,

Some of us in "Fly Over Country" forget that with California taking up almost the entire West Coast is a Huge Agricultural Producer.  

Believe it or not many auto parts stores make Hydralic Hoses.  And Hydralics are used in almost every industry, so I bet there are several Hydralic Supply houses in Sacramento.

New Holland bought Ford Tractor Division and can probably supply parts, Though they are way proud of their parts and charge for it. Trust me on that, I did not order the waterpump from them this week.

The Fittings unless they are leaking should be reusable. Take the hoses off and take them to someone to match up or make new ones.

Other than Hoses you might want to change the Hydralic Oil Filter.

#5 Tractor Chance OFFLINE  

Tractor Chance
  • 24 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for the replies.  Once I know more, I'll post more.

#6 Tractor Chance OFFLINE  

Tractor Chance
  • 24 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 03:03 PM

I have another question.  I have no idea how to refill the hydraulic hoses.  (I have bleed breaks on a car)

Are there directions somewhere?

Tractor Chance

PS - bleed, blead bleeded... I have no idea how to spell that.  :)

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 04:12 PM

Welcome to GTT. First you need to find the manuals for your tractor and loader. Check our library where you can download 3 manuals per day. When you find the proper place to refill your hydraulic sysem, just fill it with the proper hydraulic fluid. It will self bleed with use. While you are at it, replace the hydraulic filter.

You have a terrific machine that will give you many years of work and pleasure if you take care of it properly. Do your maintenance and repairs to get the most out of it. When asking questions, pictures in the post will help clarify what you mean. When you are unsure, ask us and be patient. We are all in this together. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, August 01, 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#8 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 06:45 PM

Welcome to the forum! My knowledge on hydraulics is extremely limited, but some of the other members are well versed in it and will be able to help you more then I can. Make sure to post any questions you have and we will do our best to reach a conclusion for you!

#9 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 07:28 PM

It will bleed it self, no worries there. But you need to be sure your pump is working first.

#10 Tractor Chance OFFLINE  

Tractor Chance
  • 24 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 12:10 PM

Just posting come pictures.  Here is where we are right now.

As it stands right now

Playing with silver paint

Primered

#11 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 01:03 PM

Your loader from what I can see looks like it might be a Johnson Work Horse. I have one of those on my GT and it has been a good loader. 

Good luck with your project.

#12 Tractor Chance OFFLINE  

Tractor Chance
  • 24 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 01:04 PM

Is this the pump for the front loader?

HydroPump

#13 Tractor Chance OFFLINE  

Tractor Chance
  • 24 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 01:09 PM

It will bleed it self, no worries there. But you need to be sure your pump is working first.

Welcome to GTT. First you need to find the manuals for your tractor and loader. Check our library where you can download 3 manuals per day. When you find the proper place to refill your hydraulic sysem, just fill it with the proper hydraulic fluid. It will self bleed with use. While you are at it, replace the hydraulic filter.

You have a terrific machine that will give you many years of work and pleasure if you take care of it properly. Do your maintenance and repairs to get the most out of it. When asking questions, pictures in the post will help clarify what you mean. When you are unsure, ask us and be patient. We are all in this together. Good Luck, Rick

Rick,  Thanks for the information.  When I am searching the library, am I searching for the tractor itself or the hydraulic manual?  I did research before I found this website and I was able to pull the manual for the engine.  I'm  wondering if this is the same.

Bleed itself?  I have never heard of such a thing.  I look forward to it.

TC

#14 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 01:23 PM

It's open center hydraulics it will bleed it self as fluid constantly circulates to tank. Once you cycle the cylinders a few times they will have "bled out the air" .

Yes , that is the loader pump.  The pto switch needs to be engaged to operate it .

#15 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 01:45 PM

You need these manuals for the tractor:  http://gardentractor...25-145-165-195/  and  http://gardentractor...rd-140-145-165/    .

For the loader try http://gardentractor...s-800-900-1000/   it should get you close. Keep searching for more info.

Nice progress on the paint. Unlike bleeding brakes the hydraulic system uses a large volume that cycles in and out. It will take the air out in 10 to 20 cycles.  Good Luck, Rick

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parts, hoses, help