• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 08:14 PM

If your good at math you can figure the proper ratio of blue to add in a 4oz sample instead of wasting a full quart for a sample :D

#77 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,638 Thanks
  • 1,331 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 09:48 PM

I'd say its pretty close! It'll be interesting to get your code and compare it to the on I came up with. I lucked out with my Power Ho and there was a big enough and flat enough area to get a camera shot of the color, but not after spending a bunch on failed samples. Did you get the orange/yellow figured out?

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#78 gunstuff1000 OFFLINE  

gunstuff1000
  • Member No: 40822
  • 926 Thanks
  • 556 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 10:09 PM

Something to think about on the paint first thing any examples of original paint your using is very old paint it has weathered even if hidden under the tag or not the paint has been exposed to the elements at some point or another Your doing the right thing by getting the closest match u can find I agree with Ray about everyone calling them john deeres I get that at every show I take any bolens too it gets old after awhile John Deere actually used a green originally that was a equipment green paint that more than likely was used by bolens because the Danville planters which bolens an David Bradley used were painted green same green bolens used an bolens didn't repaint the planters because the David Bradley's ones had the same green basically what I'm getting at is I think there was a equipment green that a lot of different manufactures used back then JI case had a green an they actually made disc part of the ridemaster disc plows that green is the exact same as the bolens green. I have a friend who has a lot of experience with mixing paint as well as spraying he spent a lot of time working on getting a color then he gave up because he kept coming up with different samples it was driving him nuts Bolens should have kept better records it's really irritating that they didn't I wrote bolens years ago about paint they said to use John Deere green an sunset yellow!

#79 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 05:43 AM

Something to think about on the paint first thing any examples of original paint your using is very old paint it has weathered even if hidden under the tag or not the paint has been exposed to the elements at some point or another Your doing the right thing by getting the closest match u can find I agree with Ray about everyone calling them john deeres I get that at every show I take any bolens too it gets old after awhile John Deere actually used a green originally that was a equipment green paint that more than likely was used by bolens because the Danville planters which bolens an David Bradley used were painted green same green bolens used an bolens didn't repaint the planters because the David Bradley's ones had the same green basically what I'm getting at is I think there was a equipment green that a lot of different manufactures used back then JI case had a green an they actually made disc part of the ridemaster disc plows that green is the exact same as the bolens green. I have a friend who has a lot of experience with mixing paint as well as spraying he spent a lot of time working on getting a color then he gave up because he kept coming up with different samples it was driving him nuts Bolens should have kept better records it's really irritating that they didn't I wrote bolens years ago about paint they said to use John Deere green an sunset yellow!

Yeah, thats why I always use different samples form different equipment of the same era to come up with a match. That Power-Ho Handle bar may be the best match we will ever get as it was sealed from the elements and always stored in an upright position.

I think its safe to say any paint on the exterior frame is not a good source for a match as it is all faded. Ideally a NOS piece or piece under one of the handle grips is probably our best bet at matching.

The old paint does funny things , the Metallic is a real good example of that.

I guess one way to look at this is people that call the green JD green really dont know anything about Bolens anyway so we really shouldnt worry about it too much. I  also think the Orange wheels sets them apart from the JD colors, plus these tractors were made 15 years prior to when JD even made their first GT so Bolens used this color first!

• gunstuff1000 said thank you

#80 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 05:45 AM

Here is the code:

**** Remember the 12 Grams of CF 108 at the End!!!!****

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN5207.JPG

Edited by Bolens 1000, June 26, 2014 - 05:50 AM.

• Nato77 said thank you