• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 chirojoe OFFLINE  

chirojoe
  • Member No: 40221
  • 3 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 08:09 AM

I would like some feedback about pto vs stand alone wood chipper.  I recently had a tornado take out about 100 full size trees, many of them maple, so needless to say I have alot of branches and leaves to deal with.  I have been looking into heavy duty chippers and found a patu 40 that would hook nicely to the back of my 2710.  I know the pto hp would handle it but is it too much on the tractor?  Dont know if I should go with a pull behind or a pto run machine.  Any suggestions would be helpful

• JD DANNELS and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 09:50 AM

Welcome to GTT. Are you talking about renting or purchasing? If you are renting go with the self powered. If purchasing it is a tough decision. I ended up just creating a giant brush pile when clearing 3 acres of oak forest. I cut everything 1.5" and bigger as firewood. The pile lasted about ten years before collapsing. It was a great habbitat for the birds in winter. I hope that the trees were the only things you lost. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, July 31, 2013 - 09:52 AM.

• chirojoe said thank you

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 10:04 AM

Once this job is done how much use will you have for a chipper? I would like to have one, but only have about 5 trees on 9 acres so could not justify spending a lot on a chipper.  If you are within the HP rating of the chipper I see no problem  with the PTO drive unit.

I'm sure the Tractor would consume less fuel than a smaller self propelled unit. And I would prefer the PTO unit.

As Boyscout mentioned, The fire wood is a commodity that is always in demand and if you don't use it could probably sell it.

So I would not grind anything too large. 

• boyscout862 and chirojoe have said thanks

#4 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 10:12 AM

With a PTO chipper you will not have the maintenance cost you would have with a stand alone unit. No starting battery, tires, or multitude of other small things that will need replacement over time.  Just hook it up and go.

• chirojoe said thank you

#5 chirojoe OFFLINE  

chirojoe
  • Member No: 40221
  • 3 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 04:29 PM

Thanks guys.  Most  of the trees ended up scattered over 9 acres.  Several on the house need to be lifted off with a crane.  But we are lucky all in all.  Tornadoes are not typical in the mountains but it does happen, obviously. 

I am actually on my way to check out and maybe buy a Patu dc 40.  Its pto driven and will work with my pto hp which is rated at 20.  The seller claims its got 10 hours on it and he wants $1800.  The local rental wants $650 a week for a dr chipper.  This will mainly be used for branches and tops. I may end up keeping it if it looks good with my toy collection.  Much of the wood will hopefully go to the local mill and some for my wood stove.  It seems like the consensus is with pto driven.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 05:16 PM

Save alot for the wood stove. A cord of dry hard wood burned in a decent wood stove will give you the same amount of heat as 200 gallons of heating oil. That is an $800 savings around here. Good Luck, Rick

#7 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 05:16 PM

Keep the knives sharp. It makes all the difference in horsepower required. Just think of trying to cut a well done round steak w/ a dull knife.

Mike

#8 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 05:53 PM

Spread the chips around trees, shrubs, and other things you don't want to mow next to. Started doing this after getting a chipper and it works slick.

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 06:13 PM

Spread the chips around trees, shrubs, and other things you don't want to mow next to. Started doing this after getting a chipper and it works slick.

That is great idea! I could handle about 20 truckloads around and in my garden.
Did that once, Company was counteracting cleaning limbs out of the power lines in two counties( lived 2 miles from the county line).
When they came by in front of the house I was talking to the guys. They said it was hard to get much done when they spent so much driving 20 miles to a landfill. I told them they could dump as much as they wanted along the driveway and I would spread it on the garden. took quite awhile with my 12 hp Lawn chief but I got it done and it helped.
  • Cvans and boyscout862 have said thanks

#10 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 09:50 PM

I just got about 8 yds free from a tree pruning crew.

Mike