15 replies to this topic

#1 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 30, 2013 - 08:20 PM

I had some time to mess with the tiller I bought over the weekend I decided to see what was wrong with it. First thing I checked was the engine oil. It was way over full and looked milky so I thought there was some gas in it. When I pulled the plug I was shocked to see water, almost a quart of clear clean water came out. Then the oil that drained out was a nasty milky brown. I also check the carb and found that the bowl had a mixture of water and gas in it too. After I changed the oil and drained the water gas mix. I got it to run and it runs good but will need a tune up. So far I have changed and added new oil 3 times and I have almost removed all the water from the engine. I am thinking of repairing this one now and keeping or selling it instead of using it for parts like my original plan was.

• MH81, chris m, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 30, 2013 - 08:21 PM

I had some time to mess with the tiller I bought over the weekend I decided to see what was wrong with it. First thing I checked was the engine oil. It was way over full and looked milky so I thought there was some gas in it. When I pulled the plug I was shocked to see water, almost a quart of clear clean water came out. Then the oil that drained out was a nasty milky brown. I also check the carb and found that the bowl had a mixture of water and gas in it too. After I changed the oil and drained the water gas mix. I got it to run and it runs good but will need a tune up. So far I have changed and added new oil 3 times and I have almost removed all the water from the engine. I am thinking of repairing this one now and keeping or selling it instead of using it for parts like my original plan was.

Attached Thumbnails

• 102_1168.JPG
  • 102_1169.JPG

• robert_p43, Dieselcubmike, farmer john and 2 others have said thanks

#3 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted July 30, 2013 - 08:28 PM

It sounds like you got a keeper to me :D

So what caused the water? Muffler pointing up? or did they leave the gas cap off and the spark plug out?

#4 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 30, 2013 - 08:44 PM

It sounds like you got a keeper to me :D

So what caused the water? Muffler pointing up? or did they leave the gas cap off and the spark plug out?

I am not 100% sure but I think the water way be from a flood. About 3 weeks ago we had 4 inches of rain over two days and the second day we had 1 1/2 inches of rain in less than an hour. The only thing that makes me thing it may not be flood water is that the water was clean and not dirty like I'd expect the flood water to be.

• Alc and chris m have said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,290 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted July 30, 2013 - 09:14 PM

Hope the water didn't cause any ill effects in there.

Sounds like a nice unit.

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 30, 2013 - 09:29 PM

That machine it is worth a good bit if it is running right.  I wouldn't part that!

Ben W.

#7 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 871 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 01:01 AM

troybilt rototillers are one of the best , i have had a few over the years and those units can make a garden out of your driveway, i have left them outside and never had water in the oil so i would think it been in a flood, but who cares if you've  got it up and running, just remember to lube the lift cylinders if they seize up its a real pain in the tuckus

#8 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,300 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 01:26 AM

If there's water in the block I would check the Gear box also.Suound like someone drove it into a creek or something lol.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#9 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 04:56 AM

I see it has a starter, does it have all the other parts for the electric start, like the battery box?

If not I can post pictures of what it looks like, there not that difficult to make, it's just angle iron.

Edited by Amigatec, July 31, 2013 - 04:58 AM.

• farmerall and boyscout862 have said thanks

#10 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 07:28 AM

Looks like a keeper after all.  I don't like seeing the old troy bilts being parted out. I'd rather see a new one scrapped and an old one fixed up to replace it.

#11 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 06:58 PM

I see it has a starter, does it have all the other parts for the electric start, like the battery box?

If not I can post pictures of what it looks like, there not that difficult to make, it's just angle iron.

No the battery box wasn't with the tiller when I bought it. That would be  great if you can post a few pictures of it. The recoil is screwed up so the starter is the only way I can start it.

• Amigatec said thank you

#12 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 02:11 AM

No the battery box wasn't with the tiller when I bought it. That would be  great if you can post a few pictures of it. The recoil is screwed up so the starter is the only way I can start it.

I'll get some posted this weekend.

#13 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 06:42 PM

I'm glad you are keeping that tiller! I have a 1974 Horse that I would never part with unless....... well, can't think of any reasons..... I'd fix it and keep going! Be sure to check the gear box for that milky or butterscotch-looking stuff. I bet that needs drained/refilled, also.

• Avalontractor said thank you

#14 Avalontractor OFFLINE  

Avalontractor
  • Member No: 47743
  • 24 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 03:34 PM

I'm glad you are keeping that tiller! I have a 1974 Horse that I would never part with unless....... well, can't think of any reasons..... I'd fix it and keep going! Be sure to check the gear box for that milky or butterscotch-looking stuff. I bet that needs drained/refilled, also.

We own a 77(?) Horse, bought it with our house and the 5,000Sq Ft Veg. garden. The tiller was completely original. The engine blew 3 yrs ago and was replaced with a "low~budget" 6.5hp. This spring, I decided to change the gear oil even though the manual said it NEVER needed to be. Well........the "fluid" that "dolloped" out was like vomit. Took hours to drain actually. Keep in mind, there were no issues with the trans., just wanted to "help her along". I appreciate fine machinery and try to treat all with the respect deserved. I was so concerned with the state of the old oil I thought it best to flush the box. Did that twice and saw a cup full of "snot" slither out of the drain hole all together. Refilled with cheap oil and ran for an hour and then drained that. Last; topped with a quality gear oil and now till with no worries. What a really great machine this is

#15 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 06:17 PM

Well........the "fluid" that "dolloped" out was like vomit. Took hours to drain actually. Keep in mind, there were no issues with the trans., just wanted to "help her along".

The trans oil is like that in mine too. I pulled the plug to drain out any water that was in it and some nasty grease looking stuff came out. In the spring I will drain the rest when I get time to fix everything else that needs to be fixed on the tiller.