#1 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,575 Thanks
  • 917 posts

Posted July 30, 2013 - 08:15 PM

:wallbanging: Does anyone have a pic of the linkage on a Massey Ferguson 8 that I can compare with the pic in this message to see what it should really look like and also be able to tell if I have parts missing?This is a Tecumseh 8 horse engine.

I am pretty sure I don't have the right spring. I also think the throttle cable has been replaced and they didn't leave enough wire out at the linkage end. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00970.JPG

Edited by Traill95, July 30, 2013 - 08:16 PM.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted July 30, 2013 - 08:50 PM

:wallbanging: Does anyone have a pic of the linkage on a Massey Ferguson 8 that I can compare with the pic in this message to see what it should really look like and also be able to tell if I have parts missing?This is a Tecumseh 8 horse engine.

I am pretty sure I don't have the right spring. I also think the throttle cable has been replaced and they didn't leave enough wire out at the linkage end. Thanks for any help you can give me.

See if these help

http://gardentractor...age/#entry74010

• Traill95 said thank you

#3 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted July 30, 2013 - 09:12 PM

In your picture the position of everything shows the throttle should be in the WOT (wide open throttle) position. In Alan's picture it is showing the throttle in the slow position.

In your photo see if the throttle is wide open when your throttle control is in fast position, and see if when you move the throttle plate if you have spring tension. In other words if you move the throttle plate on the carb from the wide open position to slow position (don't touch throttle control) it should spring back to the WOT position. It will feel like there is good spring tension when you do this.

Then move your throttle control to the slow position, now move the throttle plate on the carb again, this time move it to the fast position. there should be no resistance (spring tension).

If anything It looks like the rod from the governor arm to the carb may be bent wrong?

Alan's link should help a lot1 Good luck :thumbs:

• MH81 and Traill95 have said thanks

#4 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,575 Thanks
  • 917 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 06:38 PM

The pics will help. Thank you for the pics and the info.  I now have something to compare to at least. :thumbs:

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 07:42 PM

The pics will help. Thank you for the pics and the info.  I now have something to compare to at least. :thumbs:

I will be up there this weekend again, if there is a better perspective for you to use, let me know.
  • IamSherwood and Traill95 have said thanks

#6 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,575 Thanks
  • 917 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 08:02 PM

I  think what I have now gives me a good  show of what it is supposed to look like. I am going to start by going thru the carb and  then reinstalling with new gaskets and hook everything back like the pics you sent. Thanks again for your help.

#7 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 05:47 AM

I've been working on my MF8H too, and am having issues with the spring/linkages as well.

I went and ordered the proper spring, as well as the proper spring that goes on the

throttle shaft. It seems like my gov spring is too strong, and the throttle return spring

is to weak.

gov spring.JPG gov.JPG

throttle.JPG throt.JPG

They are a week away(US to Can shipping)

We'll see once I get them installed.

• MH81 said thank you