• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 06:00 AM

Got a question on this engine, Mitsubishi K3D. Is the valve cover gasket made of rubber, can be reused? I want to adjust the valves on it this Spring and was wondering if I would need a new gasket or could get by with the old one. I will be changing out the air, oil and hydraulic filters as well. She's due for some TLC.

#107 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 08:01 AM

Heck, as long as you can get it off in one piece, you can reuse it.  But don't use a standard silicone to help seal her back.  Clean the old gasket really good with carb cleaner or similar, then use Permatex "MotoSeal 1" or "Ultra Gray".

• KennyP said thank you

#108 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 08:39 AM

I'll get some of that when I go after the filters. Thanks Daniel! I have no idea if the cover has ever been off this thing!

#109 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53757
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 10:13 AM

I did a valve adjustment on my l3e, and the gasket was rubber. I was going to use rtv, but was told not to. I'm still learning about the good idea, bad idea with diesels. My gasket on the cover was in decent shape, minus the side next to the exhaust. I'd be interested in hone clearances you encounter. I adjusted the first three @.010 then cranked another 1/3 and ran into more adjusting. I adjusted all of them, with some around .040 clearance!
  • KennyP said thank you

#110 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 01:12 PM

Got a question on this engine, Mitsubishi K3D. Is the valve cover gasket made of rubber, can be reused? I want to adjust the valves on it this Spring and was wondering if I would need a new gasket or could get by with the old one. I will be changing out the air, oil and hydraulic filters as well. She's due for some TLC.

I uploaded a manual for the Mitsi K3 series engine on the forum a few days ago.  I think it may be the parts manual, can't remember for sure... I hit the 60 mark in January and I've developed CRS--

Can't Remember..................................................................................................................Stuff!!!!

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, March 27, 2014 - 01:12 PM.

• trowel said thank you

#111 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 06:47 AM

I uploaded a manual for the Mitsi K3 series engine on the forum a few days ago.  I think it may be the parts manual, can't remember for sure... I hit the 60 mark in January and I've developed CRS--

Can't Remember..................................................................................................................Stuff!!!!

Smitty

I have manuals, Smitty. I hope to get the valves adjusted today.

Yesterday I worked on an issue on the mower deck drive shaft. It is wearing into the bolt and frame.

Image042.jpg

I looked in the manual for adjustments for the LARGE tie rod ends. All I could find was the LH side should be 2.375" from the bar out to the center of the the end. The LH side had that measurement, but also had a piece of 3/4" square as a spacer. The RH side was adjusted way out.

LH Side

Image045.jpg     Image044.jpg

RH Side

Image043.jpg

I took the spacer out of the LH side and adjusted the RH back in. This helped some, but now the back edge of the deck was against the LH tire when raised. Still a rubbing issue at the framework. So I put the spacer back on and took the drive shaft out and reversed it. This put the smaller diameter of the drive shaft at the worn area and gave me clearance.

Image046.jpg     Image047.jpg

I'll pick up a new bolt for the one the head is nearly worn off and change that out soon. Hopefully, everything will clear now.

• olcowhand said thank you

#112 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 04:34 PM

I got the valves adjusted today. Had to take the muffler off to get the valve cover out. But it sounds much better. All the exhaust valves were loose.

• olcowhand said thank you