Garden Tractor Forums banner

Guess What I Got Today!

11K views 111 replies 29 participants last post by  KennyP 
#1 ·
I asked the neighbor across the street if he knew of any zero-turns around. Said his SIL had one sitting in the back of his property. Went and looked at it, couldn't find any spark plugs in the engine. Anyway we struck a deal and I am now the proud owner of this:

Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Asphalt Automotive design
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Gas

Vehicle Motor vehicle Speedometer Odometer Gauge
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

I have gotten it to turn over, drained the old fuel. Tomorrow, I'll get new fuel. What else do I need to do to get it started. It seem the glow plugs are working and the owner said they had to be used when it was started for the first time each day. It has 5408 hours on the clock and is a Mitsubishi diesel. I think around 25 HP. Has good antifreeze in the radiator, but the water pump is a bit hard to turn. I thought the alternator was froze up, but I guess the belt was just stuck to the pullies. I will need the adjustment bracket for it, that is broken.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
wonder why they stopped usjng it?

Looks nice Kenny, hope its an easy fix.
It's a Toro Groundsmaster 322-D. He said the transaxle was out of it, but there is a spare one he had picked up. When I was draining the old fuel, I found the hydraulic filter very loose. Wonder if it's just out of fluid?

I got it mainly for the engine. Can you say FF 22-D? Gotta read some in the manual, see if I can find a wiring diagram as mice have chewed the wiring all up. It has sat for 2 years in under some trees, one tire has sidewall leaks. It will need a tube. But it's a 23-8.50x12. I think a Cub wheel would fit it for now. Has power steering!!!

Reactions: boyscout862 and JRJ
#10 ·
Kenny, I bet since you have a wiring issue you aren't getting fuel if it has an electric shutoff solenoid. You may also have to get the lines cleaned out if it has sat for a while. Diesel does go bad too!

I know why you moved now. You cleaned everything out at the old place.
Willie has it all figured out. :thumbs:

Ben W.

Reactions: JRJ and KennyP
#11 ·
I've been trying to read the manual. I think it does have the shutoff solenoid. Got a lot of wires chewed into by mice, so have to figure that all out.

Reactions: JRJ
#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sweet find.Heck I would of left the old fuel in it if there wasn't much water in it.Throw a battery in it and crack the injector lines loose and give it a whirl.

We paid $300 for our 4 cylinder Continental gas powered GroundsMaster 72 It does not have power steering but it turns really easy any way.It had a steering column like the old Cub Cadets used but slightly longer and beefier.

Water pumps are very pricey for the Continental engines.Around $600 through Toro.

My uncle pressed the old one apart and put new roller bearings in it and found a set of seals somewhere.I forget where he got the stuff.It took him a few days to get it back together but is hasn't leaked a drop in the 6 years we've owned it.

#14 ·
Sweet find.Heck I would of left the old fuel in it if there wasn't much water in it.Throw a battery in it and crack the injector lines loose and give it a whirl.

We paid $300 for our 4 cylinder Continental gas powered GroundsMaster 72 It does not have power steering but it turns really easy any way.It had a steering column like the old Cub Cadets used but slightly longer and beefier.

Water pumps are very pricey for the Continental engines.Around $600 through Toro.

My uncle pressed the old one apart and put new roller bearings in it and found a set of seals somewhere.I forget where he got the stuff.It took him a few days to get it back together but is hasn't leaked a drop in the 6 years we've owned it.
I had about 2 gallons in it, no water!

#19 ·
That is a great buy Kenny! No way to go wrong on it being it was the drive issue that parked it & not the engine. Looking forward to video of her purring like a kitten, then roaring & blowing black smoke! :dancingbanana:
I am wondering if the loose hydraulic filter is the reason. We'll see!

#21 ·
#22 ·
My Kubota engine I stuffed into my Bush Hog JB had the shutoff solenoid & it fried as soon as I went to start it. BUT, it also had the manual shutoff arm too, just not used in it's application. So I just hooked up a shutoff rod to the arm & no need for a new solenoid. Maybe you'll be lucky enough to have a double system too.

#26 ·
My Kubota engine I stuffed into my Bush Hog JB had the shutoff solenoid & it fried as soon as I went to start it. BUT, it also had the manual shutoff arm too, just not used in it's application. So I just hooked up a shutoff rod to the arm & no need for a new solenoid. Maybe you'll be lucky enough to have a double system too.
I think it does, Daniel.

Here ya go Kenny.This has a parts manual in it.Covers the whole 300 series including the Diesel.402 pages.

Couldn't sleep.Got a new toy today to and keep thinking about it.lol Not as cool as yours but I like it.

http://www.toro.com/customercare/commercial/education/pdf/92801sl.pdf
I downloaded that last night, Eric. Much easier to understand that one.

For all you folks out there, I got this for $300. I'm hoping the hydraulic filter being very loose is why it was parked. I'll get a couple gallons of fresh fuel this morning and check the hydraulic fluid level. It takes 10w30 or 40 for fluid. Got some wiring to repair so I can use the ignition switch for starting it. One drive tire has bad sidewall leaks, but I happen to have 2 23-9.50X12 tires. Tad bigger, but they would work if needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.