28 replies to this topic

#16 TimW OFFLINE  

TimW
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10778
  • 367 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 08:23 PM

For just a little more info.  I bought this tractor as is about 3 weeks ago out of South Central Indiana.  The guy had apparently had it blow up a week or so before I bought it.  He was not a PK collector, just a guy who mowed with it and said he had owned it since 1982.  I think it is a '77 model.  He had a video of it running on his cell phone with the damage.  He responded to a want ad I had posted for PK parts and transmissions and made me a good deal on the whole tractor.  It has the dual transmissions.  He had no idea what caused the damage, I deduced it from the missing balance gear and the other things I saw.  I pulled the head and it had a standard piston and good bore, so from what he said and what I saw, I am fairly certain it had never been taken down or rebuilt.

#17 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 08:55 PM

Hmmm the 16 Auto has these still intact, guess I better take them out.  The Gravely walkbehind with the K301 never had them, so I guess not all K series Kohler came with them.

#18 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 07:02 AM

I have a k341 from a genset. It didn't have them.

Does anyone know what makes them come apart? They're a pretty good chunk of iron. Is it the keeper that holds them on???

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 08:43 AM

I have a k341 from a genset. It didn't have them.

Does anyone know what makes them come apart? They're a pretty good chunk of iron. Is it the keeper that holds them on???

I have seen the keeper clips come off, bearings go bad causing teeth to not mesh proper, and in a few cases, the pins come loose in the block.

• LilysDad said thank you

#20 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 09:27 AM

Makes me glad that I listened to the advice given by many here on the site to remove them from my K341 when I had it apart to fix the governor.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#21 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 07:37 PM

I put the K341 together today,,,, the balance gears didnt go back in the engine, didn't evem check to see if the bearing were good or bad.

#22 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 10:14 AM

I asked this back earlier in the thread but don't believe anyone answered... For those of just that don't know, how can you tell if the balance gear is in there without taking the enging apart? Are there certain spec' numbers that that do and don't? certain OEM's that had them and didn't? I'm up to 5 K engines now ranging from 1972 Wheel Horse to a 1996 replacement engine... and have no idea if any of them have this gear.

#23 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 11:07 AM

The cool thing is that it still ran. Nothing like a K series Kohler!!!

#24 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 09, 2013 - 12:20 PM

I asked this back earlier in the thread but don't believe anyone answered... For those of just that don't know, how can you tell if the balance gear is in there without taking the enging apart? Are there certain spec' numbers that that do and don't? certain OEM's that had them and didn't? I'm up to 5 K engines now ranging from 1972 Wheel Horse to a 1996 replacement engine... and have no idea if any of them have this gear.

There is no way to tell if an engine has them with out removing the oil pan.. Some applications had them, other applications didn't.

#25 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 12:33 PM

I don't know if there would be enough room to see by taking the cam cover off and shining a light in. Kind of has me curious now to see if you can tell that way.

#26 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 12:41 PM

If you look at the crank side of the engine, you will be able to see the holes for the pins that the gears are on. I went and took a picture of a k321 I have apart right now. I also drew two arrows on the block, pointing to the holes for the balance gears. If it has these holes, then it has (or had at one time) the balance gears. If the holes are not there, then it never had the balance gears.

037D93F5-D0D4-45D5-B189-B657EF527CCC-298

This is only from my own detective work, and is not official in any way.

• Sawdust said thank you

#27 milkdud OFFLINE  

milkdud
  • Member No: 43438
  • 66 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 09:45 PM

What is involved with taking them out?  I know my K321 has them.  I saw them when I was working on my ford LGT145.

thanks

#28 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 10:29 PM

What is involved with taking them out?  I know my K321 has them.  I saw them when I was working on my ford LGT145.

thanks

You have to pull the crankcase cover off and remove those pesky buggers before they bite you..  It is possible now to have the crankshaft ground to balance the engine and make it run smoooooth!  PM me for info..

• milkdud said thank you

#29 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 04:27 AM

http://www.ihcubcade...ler part ii.pdf