• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 icreek OFFLINE  

icreek
  • Member No: 41027
  • 4 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 03:59 PM

My son is working on a old Ford LGT 125, we got it started but can't seem to get it to move forward or reverse. The body is removed and some linkage, we are pushing the forward and reverse pedal levers on the right side. Any thoughts?

photo.JPG

photo2.JPG

photo3.JPG

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 04:03 PM

Welcome to the forum! Is it full of fluid? Is the pedal linkage moving the arm under the hydro?

• icreek and Dwight68 have said thanks

#3 icreek OFFLINE  

icreek
  • 4 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 04:09 PM

Yes we downloaded the owners manual, checked full level hole A on the rear of the Hydro/Transmission/Rearend, and fluid is full. The pedals are connected and move levers on the front of the hydro/transmission. I can't make out the High / Low / Neutral lever, I don't think it is attached, but I found a traingle lever on the right upper side of the hydro/transmission and clicked it a few directions, no difference?

Edited by icreek, July 28, 2013 - 04:09 PM.

• boyscout862 and IlovemyCub have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 04:42 PM

Welcome to GTT. Even though its for the 145, this may help. http://gardentractor...rd-140-145-165/

Someone else with more knowledge will be along soon. Good Luck, Rick
  • icreek said thank you

#5 icreek OFFLINE  

icreek
  • 4 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 05:06 PM

Rick, Thanks, the manual helped me understand the mechanics of the hydro and linkage and control arm, we moved some parts manually, but no change, still won't move forward or reverse. We'll keep working on it, might end up being someone's parts lawn tractor also.

We have like interest in Scouting, son is currently a Life Scout and I'm a leader.

Edited by icreek, July 28, 2013 - 05:06 PM.

• IlovemyCub said thank you

#6 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 11:14 PM

:welcometogttalk:

#7 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 03:11 AM

See if the nut is loose on the arm at the hydro unit first if tight and turns when activated , i fear internal damage either in the transmission or possibly the gear or shaft at the output side of the hydro.

• KennyP said thank you

#8 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 03:31 AM

Just out of curiosity, is the drive shaft turning the pump? I haven't had the opportunity to get into one of these rears & hope I don't have to!

#9 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 05:52 AM

The parts you are moving manually, is it the hi/low/neutral?

I am thinking its in neutral......If its in gear, when you step on the pedal, the sound should change quite a bit

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 05:53 AM

Welcome to GTTalk. Sorry to hear about your transmission woes. At this point you need to make sure the hydro pump shaft is turning and that it's not bypassed or in neutral. Then you need to make sure the speed control shaft on the pump is actually moving. If all those things are right then the only other external thing I can suggest is that the axle key may be stripped. Other than that it looks like an internal problem. 

#11 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 05:28 PM

Rick, Thanks, the manual helped me understand the mechanics of the hydro and linkage and control arm, we moved some parts manually, but no change, still won't move forward or reverse. We'll keep working on it, might end up being someone's parts lawn tractor also.

We have like interest in Scouting, son is currently a Life Scout and I'm a leader.

Don't give up on the tractor, like making Eagle, you have to keep working at it. That is a very good tractor. I just bought a 145 on Saturday to go along with several other Fords that I have.

Make sure that your son makes Eagle. Mine made Eagle two years ago( I made it in 1969 and my Dad in 1931). Enjoy being a Scout Leader, I find it a lot of fun. I am just a Merit Badge Counselor and Troop Committe Member now but was Asst, Scout Master for 6 years. You will make memories for your son and all the boys that will last a life time. Good Luck, Rick

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hydro, transmission, lgt, 125