4 replies to this topic

#1 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 12:28 PM

So often we seem to have members & newbies post questions about an engine that is hunting or running poorly, either with or without a load on it.  Our stock answers seems to be "clean the carb" or "check the fuel system".  But here is another, admittedly rarer, cause.  This is a Tecumseh OHV125 203032B (H) A.K.A Tecumseh Formula 12.5 hp.    

Engine Label 2.jpg sale 3.jpg

The governor arm bushing (red arrow) is shot.  The bushing connects the governor arm to the throttle rod, which turns the throttle shaft (green arrow) on the carb to increase or decrease engine speed (clear as mud??).  I've used a rubber band (blue arrow) to take up the slack in the bushing so that the throttle rod does not rattle around in the bushing & make the engine hunt.

Govener with labels.jpg Govener without labels.jpg

In video one, the rubber band has been removed.  Watch the carb's throttle shaft & the governor arm.

In the second video, I've re-installed the rubber band.  Notice the dramatic improvement.

The bushing (Tecumseh 36288) is $2.13 and the governor arm with bushing (Tecumseh 36284A) is only $2.08.  Don't ask me why.

• MH81, hamman, IamSherwood and 4 others have said thanks

#2 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 07:54 PM

Oh wow. I had no idea. I'll have to check mine now that I've cleaned the carb a few times. Removed the flywheel to clean the magneto and stator, and changed the flywheel pins.

Thanks a bunch!
  • New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 08:31 PM

Very good work and a very simple thing I forget to tell people, too.  Some of us could see that problem just by seeing the engine for a minute, but we don't thinking to ask about it.

Somebody needs to make this a sticky or find a way to make sure we can find it easily.

Ben W.

• IamSherwood, TerryD and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#4 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 08:36 PM

Good idea and it works. :thumbs:

I had a similar problem erratic or unstable running, I used a small spring like what you did, just mounted it a different way.

002.JPG

• TerryD, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and JRJ have said thanks

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 06:23 AM

Good idea and it works. :thumbs:

I had a similar problem erratic or unstable running, I used a small spring like what you did, just mounted it a different way.

attachicon.gif002.JPG

That's the general idea of a take up spring on Clinton engines.  It keeps the governor linkage tight.

Ben W.

• MH81 and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks