• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dutchman54 OFFLINE  

dutchman54
  • Member No: 41553
  • 4 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 08:20 AM

I am a new member to this forum.  I recently bought a Suburban 12 and am working to get it running.  It came with an extra starter/generator because the installed one did not crank the engine over.  I installed the replacement and found that it rotates in the opposite direction.  Is there a way to reverse the rotation?  Thanks for your help.  Dutch

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 08:48 AM

I am a new member to this forum.  I recently bought a Suburban 12 and am working to get it running.  It came with an extra starter/generator because the installed one did not crank the engine over.  I installed the replacement and found that it rotates in the opposite direction.  Is there a way to reverse the rotation?  Thanks for your help.  Dutch

It would be a good idea to post some pics and any numbers you may have.

As for turning the motor backwards, from what i understand, some can be reversed... Some not. If there is a bendix involved with the starter the unit can only turn one way for the bendix to work right.
  • OkieGt and dutchman54 have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,516 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 09:06 AM

Welcome to GTT. Relax, explore the site and enjoy. Good Luck, Rick
  • dutchman54 said thank you

#4 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 09:28 AM

Okay GTT experts, please tell me why some Tecimseh turn the opposite way. Thanks!!!

#5 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 28, 2013 - 09:42 AM

The only way to change direction is to change the field coils.

• Lmiller3358 and dutchman54 have said thanks

#6 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 28, 2013 - 09:45 AM

Okay GTT experts, please tell me why some Tecimseh turn the opposite way. Thanks!!!

It all depends on using the PTO end, or the flywheel end of the crankshaft to turn the engine.

• boyscout862, OkieGt and dutchman54 have said thanks

#7 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,316 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 09:51 AM

Welcome to the club !!!

#8 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 09:56 AM

It all depends on using the PTO end, or the flywheel end of the crankshaft to turn the engine.

I got it! Thanks, some starters turn the flywheel side and some turn the PTO side of the engine, Great Info

#9 dutchman54 OFFLINE  

dutchman54
  • 4 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 02:21 PM

Back again, thanks for the picture and number suggestion.  Attached is a picture of the starter with the belt to the Tecumseh motor and another photo of the starter out of the tractor.  The Tecumseh motor plate says model 143 52062 and serial number 7634 12097.  The starter/generator is a Delco Remy 101980 7A20 with pulley drive, no Bendix.  In case I explained it wrong, the Tecumseh is not turning in the wrong direction, the replacement motor has opposite rotation. 

My thought is that I can probably open the motor and switch a couple of leads to reverse the rotation but would like to hear from anyone with experience with these series wound motors.photo.JPG photo.JPG

• boyscout862 said thank you

#10 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 02:56 PM

I think you may have a starter off a Allis Chalmbers or Simplicity they had that style of starter. They turned the opposite way.

As for rotation, I don't know if it can be changed, might be better to see about picking up the right one and them sell this one?
  • OkieGt said thank you

#11 dutchman54 OFFLINE  

dutchman54
  • 4 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 04:33 PM

I think you may have a starter off a Allis Chalmbers or Simplicity they had that style of starter. They turned the opposite way.

As for rotation, I don't know if it can be changed, might be better to see about picking up the right one and them sell this one?

Thanks, that's a good idea.  Is there a source for these starters within this club?

#12 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,156 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 04:50 PM

You can check with one of the site sponsors.This will get you there just pm one off them

http://gardentractor...-site-sponsors/

Edited by new restorer, July 28, 2013 - 04:51 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#13 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 28, 2013 - 06:37 PM

It kind of amazes me on the suggestions and "information" offered on some of these threads. It's like a voice needs to be heard.

Most engines , FACING THE FLYWHEEL turn CLOCKWISE, subsequently, the PTO end turns COUNTERCLOCKWISE. Sure there are exceptions, just weld and regrind the cam, it'll run in "REVERSE". I've done it. Built a twin engine almost a boat years ago and needed one engine to run in reverse. But back to the topic at hand. I have tried several times to change the direction of a starter/generator. All I can say is go here it is one of the best descriptions I have ever read. http://www.simpletra...r-generator.htm

• MH81 and OkieGt have said thanks

#14 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 07:34 PM

It kind of amazes me on the suggestions and "information" offered on some of these threads. It's like a voice needs to be heard.

Most engines , FACING THE FLYWHEEL turn CLOCKWISE, subsequently, the PTO end turns COUNTERCLOCKWISE. Sure there are exceptions, just weld and regrind the cam, it'll run in "REVERSE". I've done it. Built a twin engine almost a boat years ago and needed one engine to run in reverse. But back to the topic at hand. I have tried several times to change the direction of a starter/generator. All I can say is go here it is one of the best descriptions I have ever read. http://www.simpletra...r-generator.htm

That's a great write up. Thanks for sharing GP. Explains several things. Lot easier than typing them out or trying to remember.

On the other topic, the original poster is not trying to get his engine to run backwards... He is saying his starter is turning it backwards and wants to correct the issue. I am not sure if you felt I or someone else was leading the OP astray, but I am sure it was not my intent and I apologize if I have posted something that is or you feel is wrong

On my b112 with the 12hp briggs, (memory may be faulty here... Sorry if I'm wrong) the starter turns opposite the starter on Ryan's HH100 on his Massey.

To the OP, when asking around looking for a starter, make sure which direction you need and be very specific as to what perspective you are using for your CW or CCW reference.

#15 dutchman54 ONLINE  

dutchman54
  • 4 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 08:06 PM

That's a great write up. Thanks for sharing GP. Explains several things. Lot easier than typing them out or trying to remember.

On the other topic, the original poster is not trying to get his engine to run backwards... He is saying his starter is turning it backwards and wants to correct the issue. I am not sure if you felt I or someone else was leading the OP astray, but I am sure it was not my intent and I apologize if I have posted something that is or you feel is wrong

On my b112 with the 12hp briggs, (memory may be faulty here... Sorry if I'm wrong) the starter turns opposite the starter on Ryan's HH100 on his Massey.

To the OP, when asking around looking for a starter, make sure which direction you need and be very specific as to what perspective you are using for your CW or CCW reference.

Exactly right, Rust Addict, I just want the Delco Remy to .turn the opposite direction

Thanks for the advice on specifying the rotation direction.  Dutch

• MH81 said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tecumseh, starter, rotation