20 replies to this topic

#1 Silverfox23 OFFLINE  

Silverfox23
  • Member No: 41401
  • 9 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 06:47 PM

Hello,

I would like to know if there was anyone who had a DB sulky that would post some dimensions of it here.  My husband would like to build a sulky and would like to know the outside width of the tires and the length of the pole from the axel to the front where it pivots sideways.  Also, if anyone had a DB Hauling cart, he would like the dimensions for that also. 

Thank you.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,967 Thanks
  • 4,398 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 07:06 PM

I don't have one, but :welcometogttalk:

#3 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,280 Thanks
  • 4,034 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 07:37 PM

Welcome to GTt Silverfox23! I am sure someone will be along that can help you out on this. I know we have quiet a few DB collectors on here.

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 7,318 Thanks
  • 4,163 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 08:58 PM

On my hard tail sulky the outside width of the tires is 34 inches and the length of the beam is 55 and 1/2 inch. 

WELCOME TO GTTALK!!! and GOOD LUCK on the build!  :thumbs:

Attached Thumbnails

• garage_vehicle-349-12931744121.jpg

• KennyP, Amigatec and Silverfox23 have said thanks

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben

Con Man

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,665 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 06:35 AM

Welcome to the forum!

Ben W.

#6 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,025 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 06:52 AM

I am planning buying a trailer dolly from HF and converting it to a sulky. I'll have to add a seat, brakes and extend the tongue. I already have the hitch.

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 30,510 Thanks
  • 41,079 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 07:04 AM

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like the guys are getting you some answers.

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 10,344 Thanks
  • 7,834 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 09:15 AM

Welcome to GTT. That is great that you are helping him! Browse around the site and enjoy. Good Luck, Rick

#9 Silverfox23 OFFLINE  

Silverfox23
  • 9 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 11:03 AM

Thank you for the warm welcome.  I work nights and have been looking for information when it is slow at work.  There were some manuals that I wanted to download from this site.  So I joined and have found a lot of information for my husband.  I enjoy helping him and I'm having fun working on them and with them. 

Thank you GTractor for the dimensions, that will help a lot.  It's hard to calculate sizes from pictures.  Just need dimensions for a hauling cart now.

Edited by Silverfox23, July 28, 2013 - 11:04 AM.

#10 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,465 Thanks
  • 2,805 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 11:40 AM

There are different models of the hauling cart and they all have different sizes.  WARNING>>>>>>>>>> If you don't use a proper hitch, you will break the eye off the transmission case, and then you wont ever be able to use a cart or sulky again. NEVER hook the cart or sulky directly to the eye without the hitching part in place. We have seen several tractors ruined over the yrs, because of this.  There are two basic kinds of hitches. The one goes under the tractor, hooks into the front eye, while the rear of it hangs on the saddle bar.. The other hooks to the rear eye and then goes to the saddle bar. Both hitches require the cart tongue to be a different length.  I own both types of carts. You need to go into Amigatec's web site and look at the Gen2 and Gen3 carts and decide which one you want to make and start with the hitching part first, then build the cart for it.

attachments 002.JPG

• WHdbJD, Virginia Mike and Silverfox23 have said thanks

#11 Silverfox23 OFFLINE  

Silverfox23
  • 9 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 03:54 PM

There are different models of the hauling cart and they all have different sizes.  WARNING>>>>>>>>>> If you don't use a proper hitch, you will break the eye off the transmission case, and then you wont ever be able to use a cart or sulky again. NEVER hook the cart or sulky directly to the eye without the hitching part in place. We have seen several tractors ruined over the yrs, because of this.  There are two basic kinds of hitches. The one goes under the tractor, hooks into the front eye, while the rear of it hangs on the saddle bar.. The other hooks to the rear eye and then goes to the saddle bar. Both hitches require the cart tongue to be a different length.  I own both types of carts. You need to go into Amigatec's web site and look at the Gen2 and Gen3 carts and decide which one you want to make and start with the hitching part first, then build the cart for it.

Thank you Lauber1 for the warning about the casting and hitch problems.  We had read that before and had planned on building a hitch to the front.  We plan on building the Gen3 cart with the optional flair top extension.  Any information on the dimensions would be greatly appreciated.

#12 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,465 Thanks
  • 2,805 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 12:42 AM

Well I've built several of the Gen 3 ones, without the wings. But I have a Suburban cart here that almost the same thing , just bigger.  You have to start with the correct frame, and get the tongue length correct, so that it will work with the hitch. There's nothing wrong with a gen 3 hitch, other than its more complex than the Gen2 hitch. If I get some time this weekend i'll put together some measurements  for the frame and the box.  I assume you having welding equipment? ,,,,, a drill press, and shop tools?. This is no project for the weak, lots of parts in one of these cart frames and the box. I'll post some pictures of the hitches and you'll get the idea of how they work with the tractor.

What part of MI are you from, I make trips up that way every once in a while.

• MH81 and Silverfox23 have said thanks

#13 Silverfox23 OFFLINE  

Silverfox23
  • 9 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 10:03 AM

My husband has all the tools and equipment needed for the project.  2 drill presses, stick welder, mig welder with spool gun, cut off saw, lathe and everything needed to do wood working also.  We even have hard maple lumber that he cut off our own property and had sawed and kiln dried. 

When ever you get dimensions and pictures up will be great. 

We are from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan near Escanaba, 20 miles east in the Rapid River area. 

#14 LesLandes OFFLINE  

LesLandes
  • Member No: 66172
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted January 25, 2015 - 03:39 PM

I would like to build a reproduction of a  DB soft tail sulky and I would like a plan with measurements on it. Would anybody be able to measure theirs and post the measurements on this site.

#15 j p smith OFFLINE  

j p smith
  • Member No: 54240
  • 18 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 03:43 PM

Les I think I have a set of drawings. There are quite a few pages. I would be willing to have copied for you, just not sure of the cost. If you are interested I will pursue getting a set copied for you next Friday when I am off.