#1 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 02:15 PM

Admittedly I don't have enough room in the new garge to keep all my GTs and Big Tractors, boat, truck , atvs, and wood working room. It is 30' X 40' with 10' 4" sidewalls.winter 2010-11 014.JPG It is full. I have two of the Shelter Logic 10' X 20' Tent shelters.001.JPG 001.JPG Now you can see my problem. The one blowing around the yard was tethered down and was covering a couple of tractors and attachments. We disassembled it and put it up in the trusses. I now have an idea to rebuild it to a portable / permanent structure on skids (eventualy) but will start out on the ground.

I plan on putting the skeleton back up and putting purlons on the roof and putting metal roofing on it. I have several (10) sheets of 7/16 OSB left from the garage. I am going to purlon the sides and ends of it and apply the OSB. I am going to put housewrap on that and vinyl siding over that. The siding on the garage has gone bad (it's only 2 yrs old) and I am going to be given enough new siding to replace it. I plan on assembling the walls on the ground and then fastening them with screws, so I can show that it is a temporary building and that it can be maoved. I am estimating it will cost about $500.00 to do this. It will be a winter storage for the less important GTs and attachments. (wife wants the 8' X 10' shed back for the garden tools and such) In the summer I will keep the boat and attachments in it. This was supposed to already happening but due to the problem with the finger I haven't been cleared to use " power tools " yet. As soon as I can I am going to get this started and get it done. I have to be able to work in the garge this winter. ( I do have heat for it). Will take about 3 hours to assemble the skeleton and another 4 hours to get all the purlons on it. I want it closed in all except for the siding by winter. If I have to enlis tthe help of my son and his friends I guess it will up the cost of it by a hundred or so, they like to eat real well. ANy one have any thoughts on this? Will welcome any other ideas. I have ordered the metal roofing and it will come cut to size with a ridge cap. Thanks. Roger.

• MH81, jd.rasentrac, A.C.T. and 2 others have said thanks

#2 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 02:29 PM

If it isn't one thing that needs your attention it's something else.

Dick

• hamman said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 04:53 PM

If you use the original pipes, you will want to put additional rafters and studs in.

If you are planning on that, let me know and I have an idea for keeping that simpler.
  • hamman said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 05:32 PM

Will you be anchoring it somehow to keep it from lifting off on you again? I am struggling to find space as well. It ends up costing a lot of $ to store stuff so I'm trying to get rid of what i don't really want. 

• hamman said thank you

#5 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 06:09 PM

mh I will add some more rafters and wall studs. What do you have in mind? Always open to ideas! JD I plan on using the ground anchors in a double coffee can of cement set in the ground. I will be using 6 to hold it down. Thanks. Roger.

#6 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 08:15 PM

If you can find them , old cultivator shovels and disc blades make dandy anchors, are easily attached to cables, and do not require making cement. We've used them as corner post anchors on fence line with no problems.
  • hamman said thank you

#7 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 09:48 AM

I have a similar covering, mine was a protable 10x20 that the fabric disentregrated on. Mine has a round top to it though, I got some old metal roofing free so I just got some metal tapping screws and went to town then put dab of caulk on each one. Thankfully mine sits right next to my 16x24 barn and also has privacy fence on the other 2 sides so I've never had issue with wind. I did drive a couple bent over takes in the end feet.

I can take apic if you like, but not sure it would help ya much.

• hamman said thank you

#8 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 09:51 PM

I have been a little busy lately and haven't gotten much done on the design of this. Tomorrow I will have the 2" X 4"s ordered for the roof and sides. I had planned on getting everything from our local lumber yard, however I can get the metal roofing, same brand, color and cut to size from the Amish steel suplier for about 25% less. I have to save where I can. I will get the rest of the sheeting from the lumber yard. I have devised a plan and talked to a guy who designed trusses for a living. He thinks that the way I am going to support the roof will hold a considerable amount of snow without a problem. This finger has me running three days a week to PT and take away from project time. Combined with household chores and dog training I don't have much time left over. Thanks Tahoe. I will post some pictures as I get it underway. I have a space in the garage to put it together minus the side sheeting and siding. I can leave the lower legs off the down tubes so I can get it out the door, until I get it out to where I want to set it. As far as acnchoring it a friend of mine suggested I use one gallon paint cans in the ground aprox. 20" down. Use a threaded rod thru the bottom with a lock nut and washer on the bottom, fill the cans with concrete and use one at each leg. I am only going to use chrushed limestone as a floor on top of sand and a moisture barrier. Can't afford the wood base or concrete floor. Using ground contact 2" X 6"s on the bottom of the sides and ends all the way around, even for the bottom of the doors. Roger. (seems like this project gets bigger all the time)

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 10:03 PM

I don't have a way to take a pic of my uprights and I can't daw what I mean well enough...
Here is my best verbal.
Cut the stud so it will be on the angle of the roof on the end. Take a hole saw and make a hole for the pipe (header) to go thru. It will be close to the edge and end, maybe overlapping... Then you cut the sides of the hole out so the pipe lays in there.

The same for the rafters. I did add the extra structure of a piece of banding strap and went up the side, across the end (over pipe) and attach again to the other side.
  • hamman said thank you

#10 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 05:48 AM

I'm curious to see what you come up with,I've got the skeleton of mine left still standing and have yet to decide what to do with it,the storm that brought the tornado through town ripped the skin to pieces!Really suprised to see one blow over as I had witnessed the wind pick mine up and test the anchor cables on many occasions.

Edited by pigsitter, August 08, 2013 - 05:48 AM.

• hamman said thank you

#11 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 12:43 PM

MH I got the idea now. Good idea. I am going to try that. Pigsetter, The tiedowns pulled thru the cable clamps. Must not of had them tight enough. (My Bad), we are going to take lots of pictures of the project as we go. It may be slow but we need it done by snowfall time. Thanks. Roger.

Edited by hamman, August 08, 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#12 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 03:06 PM

I have one myself I had the cover on it till this summer it came apart so it lasted around 2/3 years. I got a new cover for it but the plan was to use steel roof and screw it lanth way from end to end....

• hamman said thank you

#13 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 08:37 PM

Not a lot of news on this project yet. I have the frame setup and am waiting for some money to get the lumber to get it going. I found out that using a 2" X 6" on the bottom woun't work. It will have to be a 2" X 8". The front and back legs have a curve to them. The way I want to attach them is going to be a little easier with the 2" X 8"s. I still plan on sitting it on the ground for this winter but want to build a deck for a floor next spring. I have some pictures of the start of progress but I can't get them to load to post. I will try tomorrow to get them on. Roger.

#14 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted September 09, 2013 - 01:09 PM

At my old house I purchased car port metal beams.  No sheet metal.  I turned in into a pretty darn nice garage using T111 Siding, and some metal roofing.  Honestly the whole project I had less than 200 dollars in.  Bought everything off of craigslist.  The roof was 3 different colors though....

I feel ya on no space.  I have a 36x40 garage, and a 24x30 garage.  Both are stuffed with projects.  Tractors, minibikes, ATVs, 2 pick ups, and a dash of misc thrown in.  I'm a darn pack rat.  Bad part is nothing is piled up, its all organized, and in rows, I guess if I wanted to stuff and pack I could put a lot more in there, but I want to be able to find stuff.

• hamman said thank you

#15 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted September 10, 2013 - 01:07 AM

I imagine a Michigan winter can be as rough as ours get at times. We've found that old carpet is usually a "please haul it away for us" deal, and makes a wonderful temporary floor surface just laid down on the dirt. Clean, easy to drive a GT on, and nice to find dropped objects like O rings, bolts, etc. on. In the spring you can just haul it away and you have a clean surface to put your permanent floor on.
  • hamman said thank you