Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

I Have A Chance To Purchase 24Hp Briggs Twin To Swap Out My Dead 17.5 2006 Massey 2617H

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Shadowman OFFLINE  

Shadowman
  • Member No: 41496
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 10:02 PM

Hi folks I.m new here and would appreciate some advice and insight to what I think is possible.

Both motors are 1" shafts with same mount spacing. The concern I have is height of the 24hp and will I run into problems with hydraulic systems . ( first hydaulic system I have used ). This tractor as mentioned is a 2006 Massey 2617H 17.5hp (42 in deck and in very good overall condition except that the head and piston met and had a catastrophic failure. I would appreciate any help and insight that you may have.

Thanks 

Shadowman

• larryd said thank you

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 10:10 PM

Welcome Shadowman to GTtalk.  There are quite a few member that will be able to help you and they should be along before to long.

• larryd and Shadowman have said thanks

#3 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 10:49 PM

Welcome Shadowman . I'm sure someone can be of help to you. This is a great sight I'm sure you should enjoy

larryd
  • A.C.T. and Shadowman have said thanks

#4 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 11:58 PM

Welcome to GT Talk-- a great bunch of folks and a good resource.

It sounds like you have a vertical shaft engine, is that true???  The B&S Vanguards seem to be the engine of choice for repowering something if the original model engine isn't available, or too costly to overhaul...  I would carefull measure  your old and new engine, and look for any possible interferences... bearing in mind that hydraulics lines can be modified, etc. just do your due diligence as you've started here,..

Regards,

Utah Smitty

• Shadowman said thank you

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 09:42 AM

:ditto:   Measure twice.

#6 Shadowman OFFLINE  

Shadowman
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 06:35 AM

I would like to thank all that welcome the new kid on the block to the forum. I am still working on the swap issue and, in the meantime have found that a head for a ohv vanguard is hard to find. If you have access to these parts or steer me to one it would be appreciated . model- 312707 .

Exploring the options. 

Thanks  again

#7 truckintyler OFFLINE  

truckintyler
  • Member No: 41579
  • 89 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted July 30, 2013 - 10:36 PM

I fix and flip a lot of riding mowers
Most all engines swap pretty easily, main stuff that can be a pain is swapping kohler to briggs
Wiring, and exhaust.
Ifs it's briggs to briggs shouldn't be a
Problem. But if you have an electric pto you need to make sure that 24 hp briggs has the right charge coil or you'll have to swap it from your vangaurd to the 24 hp.
You could even put an older lhead twin on
There plentiful still and run much better than a v-twin

#8 Shadowman OFFLINE  

Shadowman
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 09:47 PM

Would any of you know of a 19hp twin II Plus model with pressure lube available for sale in running condition. The 24 horse just became a pain to try to get operating so have looked a little and have now used one in a Canadian White tractor that is from the mid nineties and seems a possible choice to re power the Massey or a 18 of the same style. US or Canada. prefer it to within driving distance . Northern New York, Eastern Ontario.

Many thanks to all that contributed and look forward to a response

Shadowman.

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 10:36 AM

Just a Kohler 20 hp. Magnum here. 400 hours.

#10 Shadowman OFFLINE  

Shadowman
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 04:08 PM

Hi folks I was able to find a good 19 v twin intek? motor  with all the wiring from a Cub Cadet application that it came from.  Motor is good shape approx 400 hours on the clock and so forth. 

The model serial number is strange to me -doesn't follow the Briggs system and having a little trouble getting printed material for it.

The format is : Family- ybsxs. 7242vf 274844.

News to me ! If any of you are cub cadet buddies that can steer me the right way to information on this motor I would appreciate you help.

Thanks very much

Shadowman

#11 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 09:16 PM

:welcometogttalk:  and Good luck with your project.

#12 Shadowman OFFLINE  

Shadowman
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 09:39 PM

Before I do this , I thought I better consult! If any of you have experience with type of unit- AGCO , Allis, MasseyFerguson, Simplicity 2600series

tractors made by Simplicity (1995-2005).

The frame section for the motor mount has a raised lip in the stamping. If you look into the power plants that they used from the factory, choices were a single briggs -17 hp or Kohler 18hp I believe. There are also Vanguard twins in some models of Allis and Agco tractors- pressure lubed .

My Question is this : I have both a 16 vangard  and a 19 Intek v twin that I found to re power my massey , but the fitting will require the frame lip to be cut to allow for the oil filter to fit? The White that has the 16 hp has a flat frame and could, on inspection, take the 19 intek in its place ( came from a cub cadet) and still have the front section of the tractor bolted to the motor. -same as White or MTD in design. I not against swapping both but would like to know what all think about this or parts that could help in the process to make an angled mount for a intek motor. This is getting to fun!