• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 03:12 PM

Just got a bill from Amazon.com/Chase credit card services.  I filled out the application a couple years ago just to get a discount off my Amazon purchase.  I can't even remember what I bought or anything, but I paid with cash I had in my Paypal account.  I've never even activated the card.  But today I get a statement showing I charged over $582 to Progressive Insurance!!  Immediately I call the card company.  When I punched in my card number, the first thing the automated thing asked was if I was ready to activate the card, so I know I never did.  Then I had to go through all the button stuff & finally got a live person, although foreign & I could barely understand him.  He connected me to the dispute center, & then I got a nice young lady who is pure English speaking.  She made a conference call to Progressive so we all could speak together.  No policy under my name (of course), and she couldn't even find a purchase under my card name or anything.  The credit card lady then thanked the insurance lady & we finished up.  She immediately credited my account back to zero balance, and then closed the account for me.  Being my card had never been activated, she said she had no idea how this could have happened, but assured me I was in the clear.  I will feel better when I get the confirmation papers in the mail.  This is the 2nd time such a thing has happened to us, and I hope the last, but likely not.   :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:

• MH81, hamman, sacsr and 4 others have said thanks

#2 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 03:39 PM

Glad you got it straightened out and hope there are no more issues.  I know exactly how you feel.  I got a Visa bill several years ago with charges for airline tickets to Spain for about $1200 that I never purchased.  The charges were made in California and I had been in California about two months earlier on business  Probably paid for a restaurant meal with my credit card and someone there got my card number and used it.  Anyway, Visa straightened it out and I didn't have to pay anything but it was scary.

• hamman and larryd have said thanks

#3 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 04:28 PM

I get stuff like this at my business weekly. After "reading" the bill very closely I usually realize it isn't the real company, different name by a letter or .com at the end, etc: . Got one from a "yellow-page" company this week, and in the small print it stated "this isn't a bill" but if I pay 536.00 I will be listed on there internet page, wonder how many people just pay them, I bet a lot or they wouldn't send them. :D

• larryd said thank you

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 04:30 PM

Sounds like either Chase or Amazon got hacked.  Glad you got is straighten out.

• larryd said thank you

#5 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 04:40 PM

We had our bank VISE debit card hacked on a Friday afternoon and on Our bank asked if we purchase $3500.00 worth of items over the weekend which our bank didn't think we had cause we were greatly overdrawn . We got our money back and weren't responsible for the rest.

larryd

#6 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 04:57 PM

I've had this kinda thing happen a enough times over the years, to the point I dont even blink.  Just keep your eyes on your monthly statements, EVERY month.  I'd just cancel the card cept I Need to have one to rent cars or rooms,,, just another annoyance of life.

• Team_Green said thank you

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 05:10 PM

Have had a few mystery items show up on my card over the years which were sorted out without much trouble. My wife lost a card and it was used to purchase expensive leather goods the same day it disappeared. It wasn't used again after that. It took 6 months and a lot of fussing to get it all sorted out. If you loose a card a lot depends on who finds it. In this case the person knew exactly what to do to take advantage of a found card. 

#8 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,575 Thanks
  • 3,897 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 05:16 PM

Thats why I don't own a credit card and have never purchased anything on credit.  

Thats not to say someone won't obtain a credit card in my name and go shopping ........  :mad2:

#9 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 05:17 PM

Im with JS5020.. I have a card for booking rooms.. EVERYTHING else is cash.. I have actually found a few places that don't take cash. ( i asked the person at the till how it feels to have a boss that doesn't trust you with his cash).. I walk outta those places.  The card stays at home most of the year and it's not very much. 

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 06:03 PM

I have actually found a few places that don't take cash.  

Just had that happen once, and just last month when Teresa & I rode the old train down to the mine.  Didn't accept cash for the train.  And I also did a search of the customer service phone number before calling.....legit, legit, legit! 

Main reason for checking the phone number was that I have never received a statement from them, being the card was never activated, thus no actual account.

#11 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 08:32 PM

People are stupidly desperate these days for a way to make money or spend something that isn't there's. 

I wonder why they picked Progressive, though?

Ben W.