8 replies to this topic

#1 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 02:15 PM

I set up a small e tank using a tote.  I set that silver sears plow into it and hooked it all up, using a charger hooked to a battery, hooked to the stuff in the tank.   After running all day, never really boiling like in the pics and vids, I pulled it fron the tank and took a wire brush to it and quite a bit of stuff came off.  I set the plow in upside sown and hooked the jumper cable to the plow where the paint was now missing and this time, it did start the bubbling.  That metalic silver paint was holding up the process by not alowing the piece to get good electrical contact.   Since then, I have been able to remove the plow from the beam and get the beam stripped nicely as well as the hitch bracket.  Everything is covered with this brown/black coating.  I took the hitch bracket to the kitchen sink and using warm water, dish soap, and a brush, was able to scrub it off fairly well.  (Not doing that with the beam or moldboard as they are larger and the wife won't be happy if she catches me doing that.)  I then took a wire wheel on a drill to clean it up.  To me, it is almost like using the wire wheel to remove rust.  There must be an easier way to get the brown crud off.  I plan on painting it up, not really restoring it, for one thing, I am afraid of breaking the share by trying to take off the nuts.  They are on there pretty good. ;For another thing, I will be using it, not showingg it except to the neighbors if they happen to look over.  I just want to stop the rusting and I want it to look better and not look like I am headed to the garden with a silver lawn ornament to plow.
How do I remove that residue?

Edited by robert_p43, July 26, 2013 - 02:25 PM.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 05:04 PM

Does your charger have a current meter. If so, how much current are you pulling when the parts are in the tank? I always wire wheel the contact area down to shiny metal before attaching the wiring. I have mine set up with large ring connectors on the end of heavy 10gauge wires. I use 1/4" bolts to make the connection to the work piece if it has any holes to bolt to. That way I can suspend them by the wire and with a clean connection I don't have trouble with getting lots of current flow. It also works faster if you clean any dirt and grease off the part before you put it in. I take it out and hit it with the hose after a few hours to get rid of any loose stuff. I did a brake backing plate and actuator rod for a JD317 yesterday and it was done in about 8 hrs. I cleaned it up with a wire wheel and primed it today. 

• robert_p43 and larryd have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 05:19 PM

The Black stuff is more or less a primer in my experience. I wash the part with fresh water and a scotch brite (not generic - not happy with those results) pad. (Being retentive, I wiped them a second time with Rubbing Alcohol on a rag) Then, I put a couple light coats of primer on and then my paint.

It is OK that there is some black, just remove any converted scale or unsightly stuff... And it's been my experience that the job is about 75% easier with the electrolysis on a larger piece. Smaller pieces, I just brush but one word or warning: the pieces I did the e tank to vs just brushing good on the same attachment... The etank is holding up better.

#4 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 07:37 PM

Brian, I don't have a meter, it's just a fairly cheap charger that charges at 2, 4, or 6 amps.  I hook it to a car battery and then rub jumper cables to the tank.  If I just used the charger, it would shut down and the fault light would come on.  I have an old battery cable that I could bolt to the part I think, that might work better than what I have.

Alan, I figured I had to completely remove all the black oxide or whatever it's called.  I was thinking of just hitting the parts with a pressure washer, or using the local car wash so I have warmed water and soap. If I don't get all the black stuff off, should I use rust reformer, then prime and paint?

• larryd said thank you

#5 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 07:42 PM

I meant run the cables, not rub the cables.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 11:32 PM

The rust reformer isn't a bad idea. The black stuff more or less is "reformed" already and the only reason to get as much off as you can is to insure adherence of the paints.

The pressure washer is a good idea, just keep in mind how fast it will re rust after you expose the steel.
  • larryd said thank you

#7 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 08:42 AM

Glad you asked the questions, I was just getting ready to create a post asking similar questions. I was wondering on prep after removal, sounds like a good wash with soap/water, then dry and wipe down with alcohol and at least one light coat of primer.

I've also used a rust "transformer" type product, "picklex 20" that creates a black coating to help prevent rust, smells kind of like a mix between ammonia and vinegar. I wire wheeled an entire subframe from my camaro, then used that overtop. Seemed to worked well and was easily top coated with primer.

#8 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 12:40 PM

I ended up using a hose and wire brush.  It set overnight that way (it was raining out)  The next day, I washed everything with rubbing alcohol, I still had brown fingers if I played with the parts much so even that didn't seem to completely remove everything.  I looked for a product, such as Tahoe mentioned, and every thing I found was more than I wanted to spend on this project as I am just using it in the garden anyway. 

This was the lawn ornament that I purchased:

plow_before.JPG

After the electrolosis tank, I cleaned it up and sprayed Rustoleum Rust Reformer.

plow_reformed.JPG

After 24 hours I used Majic brand sandable primer, also in a spray can:

plow_primed.JPG

I then painted it using Majic truck/implement paint.  I chose Ford Gray as I had seen another Sears attachment painted this color and it looked good.

plow_ready.JPG

Now if I can get it adjusted so it works as well as the plow I borrowed to do my garden this year, I will be happy.

Edited by robert_p43, July 31, 2013 - 12:42 PM.

• MH81 and larryd have said thanks

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 06:58 AM

Looking good. I am sure you will have it dialed in, in short order.
I took mine all the way apart and did each piece, be interested to know if any rust shows up later.

Thanks for the tour.
  • larryd said thank you