• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 01:30 PM

You're working in a shop that deals with fixing stuff that is used to conduct business and is vital to someone's operation. The other joint works on hobby units?

Cat is so right.. hobby employment is rough.. times can get tight.. people stop the toys being worked on. Honestly.. invest in a booze store.. when times are tough people drink still if not more...

• Nato77 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#17 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 12:22 AM

Thanks for all the input! I figured that some of you have gone through the same type of situation.  Just to clarify a few things is that I'm self employed so no benefits and vacation.  

I took over a "bodyshop" back in 2006. I say bodyshop loosely in that I'll do almost anything that comes through the door. I rented a shop on the backside of a used car dealership which now is selling semi's and trailers (the used car market went south a few years back and the landlord's son has been a truck salesman for many years).

Then last fall the landlord came to me with an offer of exclusively working on his stuff and letting me do some side jobs yet with paying no rent and utilities. He pays me a flat rate per hour vs my shop rate and also pays for all the shop materials. Its working ok this way other than all of my tools are getting used which I have thousands of dollars invested in that I don't get much compensation for.

The other shop does a lot of custom fabing and restorations on cars from the 30s to 60s. He also does rust repair on modern autos just no collision work. So its not just a "hobby" business. 

I haven't talked it over that much with the wife yet. She wasn't that enthused when I took over the bodyshop and I'm thinking its going to be the same way with this place. She would love for me to have a 9 to 5 job, but she has her own business and when the kids are sick or whatever someone has to take care of them. She really can't leave at the drop of a hat like I usually can. What I do for a living can be done at any time of day.

Got a lot to think about I guess.

• boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#18 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 10:29 AM

Making a decision like the one you are faced with is difficult.  I think most, if not all of us, have had to face making a career changing decision like this at one point or another.  Someone suggested possibly taking some time off and going to work for this guy and see what he is like and if you will even enjoy working for him.  Although you may think you would enjoy the fabrication end, you may find you don't really care for what this guy does or how he does it.  Also you mention about being able to pick up the slack if one of the kids get's sick and being able to do your work at any time.  That would be something to consider if you went to work for someone else. Plus the fact that now you would be on someone else's clock so you have to be there at a certain time.

I know for me I enjoy working for my self much better then a 9 to 5 but then I'm not dependent on my little business for income.

Good luck with your decision, I don't envy you at all.

• boyscout862 and Nato77 have said thanks