Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,647 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 01:40 PM

I meet a guy a few weeks back that I had told one of my costumers about taking his work to him (I was just way to busy to get it done). The guy stoped in and thanked me for sending work his way, which told me he was a good guy to deal with in the future. We sat and talked for a good hour and a half discussing the projects each of us had in our shops.

He has a shop that basically will do any metal fab that a custumer can dream of along with restoring cars that no one would even think about fixing. He's been doing this for the last 40+ years the old school way with just the bare essentials for tools. Kinda what I always wanted to do many years ago before I got where I am.

Now the problem I'm facing is that he told me to come work with him the first time I meet him. I went down to his shop last night and he was begging me to come and help him out. The problem with going and working with him is I don't have time too. I like what I'm doing (most days) fixing up up semi's and trailers along with working on equipment for a couple of farmers in the area. But my love of old iron is really throwing a wrench into all this. I've always loved playing with metal and old cars but don't have the time to do it.

I'm just afraid that if I go start working with him I'll end up burning alot of bridges with the people I deal with everyday, which I don't want to by any means. At the shop I'm at now they kind of depend on me to do certain things that would cost them alot more $ someplace else. Through the last few years we've grown to be almost like family and I wouldn't feel right leaving them hanging. Not to be braging, but I'm kinda hard to replace with all the know how and skills I have. There just isn't many people around here that can do what I do.

I'm just looking for some opinions from some of you on how you'd handle this situation.

• boyscout862, oldedeeres and larryd have said thanks

#2 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 02:03 PM

That is a tough question and in the end only you can decide. It's hard to say goodbye to a steady paycheck and a job you really like, especially when your buying a pig in a poke. 

My son just did this and asked for advice and I told him the same.

But he was working Hog Confinement 12-14 hrs a day more often 7 days a week. He Really loved working with hogs(I don't get it)??

He is now working 40 hrs a week, gets overtime and has every weekend off. Bailey is an avid outdoorsman and will have a lot more time to hunt,fish and run his trapline. He is working outdoors  most of the time setting monuments (grave Stones)or working on equipment.

He made the right decision.

All I can tell you is don't jump into this without nailing down all the particulars.  Or it may turn out to be a lot of frustration and regret.

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 26, 2013 - 02:04 PM.

• boyscout862, Nato77, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 02:04 PM

There was a childrens rhime: make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver, and the other is gold. Loyalty is an obsolete idea in todays world(remember that loyalty is a two way relationship). I would stay where you are but see about some time off. You could explore the other opportunity. I had a similar situation 16 years ago. I stayed where I was and learned that my instincts were correct. The new opportunity called minimum wage "great pay". I then learned why people kept quitting on him. He never made mistakes(atleast in his mind). Good Luck, Rick

• HDWildBill, Nato77, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#4 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 02:44 PM

Hard decision to make but loyalty means a lot along with doing what you enjoy. In the end it's your decision no one else's

larryd
  • Nato77 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 03:48 PM

Went thru this a number of years ago myself.
In the end, I spoke candidly with my boss and friend. I vaguely explained the differences in the $ and healthcare. I also explained it was our friendship that was making me have the discussion... If it was just the money, I'd be giving two weeks. He got close, which was close enough. I called the other offer and declined with a thank you and an explanation.

FFwd to now, the other place is not in the position they could've been with different management and many, many faces have come and gone there. I am never gonna be well off, maybe my goal of middle class is wimpy... But I am usually happy going to work and there is food on the table with a roof over it. Short version, If I had left for the other place, it would have been a very bad move financially.
  • Bruce Dorsi, sacsr, Nato77 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 04:26 PM

Tough decision to make for sure.  About 20 years ago I have a friend who asked me to quite school and come work for him programming computer's.  Do I stay in school and get a piece of paper and take my chances or go to work for my friend and make some good $$$ well I decided to go to work for him and that lasted about a year but it set me up to be able to contract out and I learned how to estimate my time so I could bid on project.  In the long run it worked out except when the recession hit and They closed down the company I was working for and I didn't have a degree so not one wanted to talk.  But still it has worked out because now I have my own small business working on small engines and I can enjoy life and not depend on anyone else.  I would say if you are happy and the $$$ is good where you are at then why move?  But it is your decision.

• boyscout862, Nato77 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 04:42 PM

I think you should discuss this frankly and politely with your current employer. Maybe they can do something to bring in the type of work that you are really wanting to do.  A new employer may seem nice at first but can turn into a miserable boss when things aren't going right for them. It's a huge deal to have a good relationship with your co workers and boss, huge! I wouldn't trade that for the unknown. The work might be your dream job but if the people you are working for are hard to deal with it will suck the joy right out of it! Been there and don't want to do it ever again! 

• HDWildBill, boyscout862, Nato77 and 1 other said thanks

#8 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,807 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 04:51 PM

Does the new guy have a good business reputation? has he been in business long ?is he offering a comparable package? have you talked to the people you presently work for about bumping up your worth$  Money isn't always the bottom line, at the end of the day you should be happy where you work, enjoy what you do , and be able to come home and be glad to talk about your day in a positive  way!

You will always have bills no matter how much you make, but piece of mind and personal satisfaction are important. You are the only one who can make this decision, but think about all the people it will effect.

I hope this helps but I'm not the one who has to live with the decision, YOU do.

• jms180, sacsr, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#9 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 05:24 PM

Only thing i will caution you about... More often then not making a job out of your passion makes that passion turn into work and you don't enjoy it any more.  

• boyscout862, Nato77, KC9KAS and 2 others have said thanks

#10 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 06:19 PM

At the shop I'm at now they kind of depend on me to do certain things that would cost them alot more $ someplace else.

Are you charging enough for what you do? You say you already have more than enough work(your sending it away). Are you letting people take advantage of you? I think if I was you I would up my fee a bit.

• boyscout862 and Nato77 have said thanks

#11 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 08:34 PM

NATO you have been given a good number of choices, read them and then you are the only one can make that final decision. We all appreciate you wanting our input

I am leaning towards much of what Daniels stated or suggested. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Dick

#12 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 12:39 AM

Being a child of the depression, I guess I tend to be a little conservative about things;   a bird in the hand may be a little crappy at times, but it's still a sure thing !  That being said, you've now been kind of jolted into thinking about the future and how your present relates to it. It sounds like you really enjoy your job, but don't have time to "play', which makes the new offer sound very enticing. Team Green made a very relevant point, once your fun becomes work, things change. Maybe a talk with your present boss would be in order and you could get a little less pressure there and a little more time to relax and start a satisfying project at home. But, like everyone has said, it's your decision--- only you really know you, and what you want.

#13 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 04:52 AM

You've received good advice from all of the respondents!

I can only add this other possibility:

If you have vacation time coming from your present job, would your "new boss" allow you to work for him for the 1-2 week period?

This will give you the opportunity to see how the "new boss" conducts himself, runs his shop, and treats his employees and customers. .....You will have a chance to compare your personalities, and he will have the opportunity to evaluate your work ethics, without actually hiring you. ....You will also learn how much he is willing to share his knowledge and teach his skills.

If this opportunity is possible, you will have much more information to make that decision which will affect your future!

IMHO, honesty, and being up-front with both parties, will bring out their true personalities.

Best of luck in whatever you decide! 

#14 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 06:37 AM

You say this guy has been doing this for the last 40+ years.  You have to ask yourself, how long can it last and what happens when he's gone?  The business could fizzle and you'll be out in the cold.  You say you like where you are now and speak of the family atmosphere.  They apparently treat you well.  All of this is a rarity in today's work place.  I think your decision is made if you ask me.  Personally, I would speak to the other guy and make sure he knows how much you appreciate the offer but for now you feel its best to stay where you are.  Explain to him just what you told us.  You feel like family, you are needed where you are because of your skills, you have good customers that you feel you would let down if you left, etc.  Any self respecting businessman would totally understand and probably tell you to keep him in mind if you ever feel differently.  With the direction the economy is going, the specialty shops like his may begin to dry up anyway.  There may be a reason for his begging also.  To me, that steady paycheck is just too important to take the chance these days.

#15 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 07:06 AM

You're working in a shop that deals with fixing stuff that is used to conduct business and is vital to someone's operation. The other joint works on hobby units?

• boyscout862, Nato77, Team_Green and 1 other said thanks